Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

SM Sternguard Veteran Ork Hunter Squad (PIC HEAVY!)

11K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Talos 
#1 · (Edited)
Y'all remember the cool SM Veteran Tyranid Hunter metal minis, right? Well I decided they weren't cool enough so I made my own Veteran Ork Hunter Squad. I used tons and tons of bits from different box sets. I got some out of print pieces, some metal pieces, Ork pieces, Orc pieces (fantasy), Tact Squad pieces and Assault Squad pieces. I took me months to find everything I needed and even longer to put them all together. As I was taking pictures, I realized there are still some spots I didn't finish yet. This is by far the most converted squad I've made so far. I don't think I'll do anything like that again due to the cost of building the squad. Well, here you go. Any suggestions on future squads? I already got some ideas, but I would love to hear what you think.

The story behind this Squad of Vets is that they're the last surviving Marines on a Ork infested planet. Due to Imperium bureaucracy, they've been stranded on the planet for nearly a decade. They've ran out of supplies after the first 4 months and have since relied on scavenging for food, armor and weapons. Hence all the battle damage, Ork weapons and armor.

First up is my Sergeant. Gave him as much red as I could. Decided to put a white stripe on his pack to mark him as a Vet Sgt. That Ork bomb thing is supposed to be a replacement melta-bomb. I also chopped of the 'exhaust' things on the pack and replaced them with Ork skulls.

I guess this guy could be considered the Heavy Weapons Missile Launcher Marine. I put a 'swirly' and 'checkers' on the missiles.

I guess this guy could also be the Heavy Weapons Missile Launcher Marine. I put a 'swirly' on his missile too.

This is my Comm Marine. Gave him an auspex and a comm pack. I actually chopped of the left had so I could rotate it and angle it towards his face. Minor mod and probably unnecessary, but I like it.

This Marines is just a dual shotgun wielding bad-ass.

This is the Special Weapons Flamer Marine. The flame comes from WHFB Empire Flagellant Warband (?)

This is what started it all. I found an old out of print SM arm that was outstretched, like it was holding something. So I thought it'd be cool if I put a head on it. And then I found an Ork head that fit perfectly. But then I thought it needed more Ork stuff to tie it all together. So one damn OOP arm became an entire Sternguard Veteran Ork Hunter Squad. I decided to give him a single visor style lense.

This is one of my favorites. Dude just looks bad-ass running with two guns blazing.

I gave this guy a Black Reach Ork Warboss gun.

This guy could also be a Heavy Weapons Heavy Bolter Marine.

And here's a nice big happy Squad picture.

You can see the rest of my small Space Marine Army by clicking here HERE. And leave a comment. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Conversions, especially given how labour intensive they must have been.

#12 ·
I think those minis look ridiculous.
That made me Lol so hard. And do you know what? its the first honest comment ive read on a project log/modelling thread for ages.

Im more of a realism fan, ill spend all day weathering things, washing and drybrushing for a realistic affect ( although holydogshit, ive seen some TOO REAL stuff before ) so im not a fan of the bold colours, but still nice execution of your ideas :)

and 800 POSTS!!!

#13 ·
Im more of a realism fan, ill spend all day weathering things, washing and drybrushing for a realistic affect ( although holydogshit, ive seen some TOO REAL stuff before ) so im not a fan of the bold colours, but still nice execution of your ideas :)
Thanks bobss. I agree that the squad is a little colorful, but that's cause I used Ork inspired colors and themes. Got some checkers and swirls, and some Evil Sunz red, some Bad Moonz yellow, some Death Skullz blue and even some Snakebites triangles and browns. If you go to my "Knights of Terra" thread you'll see that the rest of my army is not like that.

After my very first Tactical Squad, I decided I didn't want to have a carbon copy of every other unit out there. Sure, the colors are different, but everything else is the same. Sgt with pistol and chain sword, missile launcher and flamer and then 7 other Marines standing in the same pose holding the same rifle. Talk about boring! I decided to give each of my squads their own unique look and this one came more colorful than the rest. My next squad is gonna be a "Special Ops" squad. That one is gonna be the exact opposite of bright. Think "Rainbow 40K" :victory:

#18 ·
They look great, could go the whole nine yards and make them Crimson Fist :p

#19 ·
1st off, they're amazing, well done! I love the bright pastel colours and the black ork shields. Great idea, and it's pulled off terrifically.

My only question (besides the sticky weapons) is where are those shotguns from? I really want one now!

#20 · (Edited)
I wish I could help you with that one. I bought a ziplock bag full of random bits on ebay, and they just appeared there. I know the Sergeant's revolver belonged to an Ork Grotz, so I think it may have come from that or maybe from some Empire figure. Hell it could be out of print like that Space Marine out-streched arm with an open palm.

Can anyone help out?

#21 ·
I like the dude with the twin slugga pistols. I always were a fan of yellow danger stripes. I think the shotguns (if they are metal) are from necromunda perhaps.

Where did you get those arm guards with the ork glyphs on? I'll have to steal-y those I think.

Good job you painted your marines blue - fits in with all that looting.

#22 · (Edited)
the shotguns are plastic, so definitely not necromunda. I think the ork glyphs are from the Ork Trukk and some from Nobz accessories. Just do a search for Ork bits on ebay. That's how I found most of my stuff.

Try HERE for some of those accessories.

#24 ·
yes i agree with everyone, its is a very cool very well painted army, you should be proud in what you have done because no matter where you go or play you have an amazing center peice for the table, i dont think the colors are over done, like you said they have been scavenging ork pieces.
now my question...........what would they codex say about using xenos weapons?
any thoughts +rep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.