Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this a bit of a rumour thats going around due to an alleged rule interpritation at the UKGT final. This was also a rule that was used by the Spanish gentleman (if indeed he is for using this rule) that WON GT.

The reason that this started is because he was over heard explaining the rule to a guy he was playing ( who undoubtable just wanted to punch fcuk out of him). Ok so here it is.

A "rubbish" diagram maybe needed.

Now, if i line up two 5man squads so that the base's are touching, like this;-

OOOOO
OOOOO

You (apparently) cannot charge the front squad because, GW bases are just under 1 inch wide meaning that you were trying to come within 1 ich of a unit you are not charging! So as a result, you can never charge the first or second unit!!!

Now first of all "fuck right off". Ok so thats that out of my system! Second, if this indeed is the correct interpretation of that rule (and im bloody well going to read up on it) Can you get around it by using multiple assault?

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes, you can assault both squads with one of your squads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yup. One of our lads had this pulled on him in the last game of the final. Neither one of them was in a position to win, so were playing for fun essentially and Jeff was using black templars - about as none beardy an army as you can get. The worst thing is that the refs ok'd it! :shock:

Needless to say it put a bit of a dampener on his weekend.

29 Posts
well in this case it doesnt work, the line only works if you only assault from the front or back. if youre on the side you can assault both units, allowing you to avoid the 1" rule for both units.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The fact that someone went so far as to figure that out, and attempt to exploit that, is rather sad. Wheres the fun in that!?

·
Registered
630 Posts
You can always charge both squads! :D
It really Is a crap rule and I'm suprised anyone tried to pull It, Just hope they sort It out correctly for the GT Heats.....

·
Registered
999 Posts
TheEmperor'sChampion said:
well in this case it doesnt work, the line only works if you only assault from the front or back. if youre on the side you can assault both units, allowing you to avoid the 1" rule for both units.
Actually no it does not. If you assault from the front, only the closest model has to move in a straight line. Then everyone else in the unit can use their assault move to get into position. You could have one of your outer most models touch both models on teh side to claim assaulting both units.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Curve the line slightly so you can't. It's pretty easy.

29 Posts
what i was talking about was something like this

X X X
O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O

where you wouldnt be able to get to the sides, obviously if you can get to the sides you would be able to assault them

·
Registered
137 Posts
I heard that it went that "you can't charge them from the front but you can charge both squads from the side and thats ok". So next turn the two squads can reline so they are always presenting an unassasultable formation after rapid firing the fuck out of you.

Its a really fucking anal interpretation of the rules. Its quite easy to read the rule like that and indeed by RAW its right, but what hte fuck would the point be in close combat then if you cant charge!?!

"Quick assault that unit!!"
"Sorry sarge we can't, the squad behind is too close"
"Oh, ok, lets assault that terrifying monstrosity from the warp instead!"
"Ok sarge!"

Stupid. If anyone used that at me, i'd just laugh at them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
An Ork player and person who works at Sabertooth games was at a recent RTT tournament. He had a few grot screen units with slaver and was explaining the rule to us before the tournament started. He pulled out the book and showed it to us and we agreed the interpretation was correct but a real cheese d#%^ move.

So, we asked if he was planning on using it, and said he could so why not. We called the judge over and told him the sitation as the guy walked off. The judge about had a heartattack telling us out lame it was and that he would boot anyone for trying it.

Literally it is in the rules to do so, but it is not going to make for a fun game, nor should it be allowed imo.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fallen Angel said:
I heard that it went that "you can't charge them from the front but you can charge both squads from the side and thats ok". So next turn the two squads can reline so they are always presenting an unassasultable formation after rapid firing the fuck out of you.

Its a really fucking anal interpretation of the rules. Its quite easy to read the rule like that and indeed by RAW its right, but what hte fuck would the point be in close combat then if you cant charge!?!

"Quick assault that unit!!"
"Sorry sarge we can't, the squad behind is too close"
"Oh, ok, lets assault that terrifying monstrosity from the warp instead!"
"Ok sarge!"

Stupid. If anyone used that at me, i'd just laugh at them.
Can we all calm the language just a tad? Not that I don't use it, it's just annoying to read at the extent come of us use it. Sorry if I'm a downer :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Basically it's a rule, it's a bull rule but still a rule. The only way to counter it is if you have a unit charging the you can do multi assault but it screws single guys over completely!

Basically I ran siren at the final and this was the only way I could think to completely screw siren I figured what could a siren player say ... player A (siren )this is bull I cant charge you player B haha now you know how it feels.

Me and my friend discussed this in depth months before the GT final and guess what he drew round one SIREN lol so I reminded my friend about the rule and my friend used it round one... the judges cried about it said it sucked but it was in the rules and then it seemed to spread like wildfire and by day 2 several people were using it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
they need to just do away with the 1" rule. It's silly and never made sense to me anyway. If you want to come up and touch the base of your opponent, then come up and touch the base of your opponent.

"Jones, go stand over there!"
"I can't sir..."
"I just gave you an order, go stand there!"
"Sir, theres a Fire Warrior there and he won't move out of the way, and I don't feel like assaulting him, so I have to stay over here until he moves or I feel like assaulting him."

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
mattjgilbert said:
It's called the "unassaultable formation". Just fight rules with rules. Declare a charge against both units and that way you can get within 1" of the back one.
Nope, afraid that won't do it. While you may have declared that you are assaulting both units, the 1" rule is applied to individual models. So the intitial model cannot come within 1" of the 2nd unit because he's not assaulting it, which means he cannot assault the first unit.
Yes, it's a BS tactic and definitely a twisting of the rules, and exactly what flamers are for.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts