Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently hit the gym and one thing I have found is that everyone has their own take on what a workout should be.

What do you guys do to keep fit, improve strength or flexibility, increase power or generally prepare for your sport?

Anyone out there got good experience from a workout for martial arts or MMA?

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
From the vague and distant past when I did taekwondo, which was pretty good at if I do say so myself!

Most of the warm up work we did was pretty basic, just general physical activity to get everything working, sit ups, running, press ups, squats that sort of thing. Then the stretching, which HURT! Lots of box splits and other leg stretches, mostly designed to stretch the groin and hamstrings.

For mma style training you'll probably find you'll be doing a lot of cardio work as well as more strength work than I used to do.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
I've finished the first week of this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/10-week-mass-building-program.html

My bodyfat percentage is reasonably low (8%) so I need to slap on some muscle.

When I'm doing cardio days I'll just mountain bike for an hour or hit the bags for 30 mins. I'm not really into running, I can run pretty good but I hate it.

As a boxer I haven't trained MMA much, just a few weeks with Team Suregrip in Southend, and the majority of their training was grappling and jiu jitsu based. I'd stand there thinking I'd bowl all you cunts over with one combination. If I were to take up MMA though, I'd work on my ground game and core strength. Cardio wise I'd be doing HIIT.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Capoeira instructor here (3-4 times a week). To help with that I do body weight/dumbbell excercises at home (hurray for burpees) and swimming once a week.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
I do not know what restrictions you might have but Krav Maga is always a great choice.

Also did you not see this thread in your search: The 'Workout" Thread

EDIT: Sounds bitchy but was not intended that way.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not bitchy - just pretty much missed it - think it dropped off the bottom the day I posted (or of course I could be blind)

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Now that I'm creeping up on my middle years I have to fight to keep my weight down, a fight I am currently losing now that I'm out of the army 5 years and there are no fitness requirements in real life. When I am training it's mostly cardio, with running being the most effective if least enjoyable, with cross trainer and bike in there as well. I also started doing a bit with kettle bells since Christmas, which is probably one of the best systems I ever used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts