Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mighty RIFF!

What three riffs, in rock, punk or metal make the your hairs stand on end and never fail to send a shiver down your spine the moment the song starts?

I'll kick things off with...

Crowbar, Planets Collide: just because its so amazingly epic, heavy as hell and if you're lucky enough to be at a show and hear this live, there's a tangible buzz that goes through the crowd when the opening notes play.

Sepultura, The Hunt: I like the original by New Model Army but I think the Sepultura version is better. I've loved this song since I first heard it and it brings back some pretty good memories.

The Stooges, I wanna be your dog: Loaded with menace, stripped back ugly guitar sound and one of the starting points for all things punk, what's not to like?

That's my three, there are many more I could have gone with but what are your favourite intros/riffs and why?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
randy rhodes/ozzy osbourne - crazy train.

this was the classic Randy and it just made me go buy the album

the long version of freebird - lynard skynnard

i have never heard anything like it before or since, the speed that man played was remarkable and it is still a joy to hear.

Wolf Moon - Type O Negative

Starts off like a horror type lull into false security then bang here it comes...great song,

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Muse - Time is Running Out. Technically it's a bass rift, but hey I'm a bassist.

Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief

Jimi Jendrix - All Along the Watchtower

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Muse - Time is Running Out. Technically it's a bass rift, but hey I'm a bassist.

Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief

Jimi Jendrix - All Along the Watchtower

there is a guitaur god and his name is jimi hendrix, what a guy all bow down, Muse are pretty good too. i could have named more but the three i chose i was listening to today anyway and it just stuck in my head.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Old School for me.

The Knack - My Sharona
Cold Chisel - Merry go round
Dire Straits - Tunnel of Love

·
Registered
409 Posts
Take My Scars - Machine Head

Just One Fix - Ministry

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
All Along The Watchtower gets my vote as well, simply epic and utter perfection. I don't believe in gods, but if anything would convince me otherwise, it's Hendrix.

Tuesdays Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd. I personally think it's a better song than Free bird, it's actually one of my favourite songs ever and top on my iTunes most played by over 100 plays, my ultimate chill out/relax/calm down song. This live version with the strings intro makes it even more amazing.

Third? What else but Baba O'Riley by The Who. Nothing more needs to be said, just listen to the sound orgasm that this intro and song itself is.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Rise Above - Black Flag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oh8K5tTcig
Holiday in Cambodia - The Dead Kennedy's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA
Do What You Want - Bad Religion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5F-xHX1PDE

BONUS!!

Status Update - Propagandhi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRrtTt5k3q4

This last one is my favourite band ever, and I truly believe all 6 of their albums are nothing but killer. All of these bands totally ran my childhood, played a huge part in who I am today.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jesus, its been a while since I heard Holiday in Cambodia.

How about

"Whats inside a girl" by the Cramps

"Bad Luck" Social Distortion.

"Thunderstruck" ACDC

·
Registered
542 Posts

This entire album is the greatest piece of musical work ever.

It's The World/Inferno Friendship Society. Best band ever. You must go listen to all their songs and you'll love them, too. Also the intro is 3:20 long. And all of it is amazing.

I'm sorry if you disagree with the lyrics. But the intro up to 1:30 is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I bought that Leftover Crack album solely based on the cover and my own adolescent 'fuck the system' approach to life. Real unique, I know.

I was surprised by a solid album. Offensive lyrics and all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
To this day, the outro to Battery by Metallica still makes me headbutt through steel.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Metal has too many awesome intros to count. Therefore, 3 favourites is way too few. Doesn't help that my brain has given up on trying to remember them all.

Also, I will just throw in Pulse of the Maggot's intro (Slipknot), just after the siren-type speech. Really builds it up, too. Dark Chest of Wonders (Nightwish) is beastly, as is Planet Hell (Nightwish)'s minute and ten intro. Crazy Train is badass, and I remember Pull Me Under (Dream Theatre) as having a good one. Haven't heard it in far too long to remember though. Then add all the heavier intros, and voila. Billions.

I will also throw in that Black John (Stone Sour) would have easily made it with its post-disorientation part, if the drums were just a tad softer and the guitar part was a tad more raw and sharp. Might just be that I'm listening to it on poor-quality speakers, but that's how I feel. Awesome song though.

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
AFI - "Morningstar" - The rest of the song sucks imo, but the intro is great

John Williams - Star Wars Episode I - "The Flag Parade" intro - Fuck you, classical kicks ass

Muse - "Hysteria" - Love the intro that goes pretty much the entirety of the song

1 - 18 of 18 Posts