Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, it's the High Elves all the way.

I just think they fit so perfectly into the Warhammer world, and their race as a whole can tie in with every other race in some way or another. With the Dark and Wood Elves they share heritage. The emotions (lust, anger, hatred etc) expressed by the Dark Elves are what the High Elves surpress, whilst the love of the woods by the Wood Elves is a perfect symmetry to the love the High Elves have for Ulthuan.

They link with the Empire and Bretonnia in trade and the fact that, without Teclis, the Empire would have only hedge-wizards instead of the powerful colleges they have now.

The Skaven have been fought by the High Elves, as have the Undead (both Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts) though these links are a bit more strenuous. Chaos ... well, need I say anything?

The Lizardmen came before the High Elves, and the High Elves look to them as one of the true child races of the Old Ones.

Plus, they just generally rock!

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is gonna be a tough one for me I always will love me Orcs and Goblins as they were my first Army way back when. However I have always wanted to build a High Elf or Lizardmen army... The back story on these two dying races stubbornly fighting the ever losing battle is just epic.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It should be obvious from my avatar, but Dark Elves. They're the only 'pure-hearted' evil in the Warhammer world, and the fluff, rules, and models for them are all amazing. Still, they barely edge out Warriors for me. The Chaos Gods will always hold a place in my twisted heart!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Chaos Dwarfs by a long shot, I can't really explain the reasoning, I just love the evil magical stunties, especially the Bighats

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hmm, well I am actually quite fond of all the various races in Fantasy but an absolute fave would be Warriors Of Chaos. There are so many things that endear me to them as an army, not just in terms of background but also models, painting, special characters etc

and their codex is written by Phill 'Mr Invincible' Kelly who is, quite frankly, the god when it comes to Army Book's and Codices

·
Registered
478 Posts
Crikies!
There's so many to choose from.

Before I go on a rant and ramble; it should be noted that Warhammer does a FANTASTIC job of making sure there's no 'black and white'. Every 'good' army has it's resume of dark and disgusting deeds. Empire is full of infighting and corruption. Brettonians enforce a cruel and neglectful caste system on their peasants, forcing them into a Dickensian life so they can ride around living out their chivalrous dreams, Dwarves well...they pretty much have a clean slate.
Every one has inner demons...some fight to deny them.

My favorite, are those warped and twisted by their inner demons.
Antagonists make the lore.

In descending order:

1: Beastmen. The embodiment of savagery and mandkinds perversion by the runious powers (the ones that the Warhammer world revolve around...), the Beastial Warherds are the bane of civilization and want nothing more than to tear it down and see it lie in ruins. There's something primal that appeals to me in their models and their lore...which is relatively untouched. (hrmm.....). They don't rely on big warmachines, or overpriced monsters, but just teeming masses of hand to hand, hoof to horn monsters. Hacking and slashing they roll over their enemies.
This is the army that got me into WHFB. Come hell or high water, it's what will keep me there. May not be the most competitive, but I'll use every trick and instinct to rend their way to the top!

2. Warriors of Chaos: (for mostly lore). These are men from the roof of the world, who grew up knowing only battle and bloodshed. They are not born evil (mirroring some one elses opinion), but grew up only knowing what was around them. They knew the gods and life available to them. If they did not adapt to the harsh and unrelenting life of the north, they would perish. They are shunned as "evil" but truth be told, how are they that much different than the ambitious lords of the empire and their limitless avarice? Sigmar was adopted due to the lack of choices for most men...and some even see the fruits of the four gods of the north.
The concept of rugged and massive raiders is so similar to beastmen, yet a whole different lore...think of it to Apache raiders & vikings. (close as I could come using well known references). These are men who saw the true faces of the abyss and became the abyss. Donning the most vaunted of armor, they each strive to become the perfect embodiment of their gods. They live to spread their chosen god's word....through bloodshed, through pestilence, through magic and mutation, through sadistic glee...they are each a holy crusader. They each fight for their beliefs.
The most spectacular monsters are behind (or the forefront) of these unholy juggernauts. Dragon ogres who crush knights under foot and hack down phalanxes, trolls who spew death and ruin on infantry, hounds of vile hides and lighting fast speed, horses that know no fear or master....even Shaggoths that knew the world when it was young and with each strike threaten to brake the world's bones...

3: Dwarves. (for lore only) These tough and resilient fighters are the stoic and forgotten backbone of 'the good guys'. They have been wronged, they have been beaten, but they rise up again and again...each time with less and less... to face overwhelming odds. Somehow, they still find a love for mankind.
The lore of the glory filled halls and untold craftsmanship is beyond compelling. They are the only 'good guys' that don't seem to be standing on a soap-box preaching or that are overflowing with arrogance.

4: chaos Dwarves. What's better than dwarves? Independent arms dealers. These understated dwarves are the master smiths behind the "WMD's" of the world. They can harness demons and bend them to their will with steel, spite and the molten lava of their volcanic forges.
They were once dwarves, but like the norsmen, pushed to the edge of the void...and there they saw profit. Even the ruinous powers have changed them...the magic petrifies them with each use...but does that stop them? No. They embrace their self destruction in exchange for the power.
Plus, how can anyone deny a mixture of Babylonian/Assyrian & Russians? You can't. Just convert your dwarves, add some demon fuled mayhem and scores of slaves and conquer all.

5. Druchii. (lore and playstyle)
There's something amazing about the Dark Elves. yes you could say they are just generic 'elves gone bad', but in their seething hatred, there's a level of pompous grandeur that I can't help but love. Think Prussians mixed with the pretentious style of "barry Lydon" and add some twisted armor and slinky killing femme fattales! Their lore has so much potential, and amazingly written pieces. The Malus series was well done. Everyone plotting and scheming....just a grander stage for the orc infighting.

Most hated:

High Elves
: In every fantasy Genre, the elves exist. I get that. They're a staple of the genre. In every genre, they play the role of the most gorgeous, the most gifted, the hight of martial prowess, the tragedy of the gorgeous elves.
I'm sick of it.
The mentality of "oh, we're the best. Why? Just because" is infuriating and just worn thin. I get it, you're gorgeous. I get it, you live longer. I get it, blah blah blah....to fight in our world you're descending from your high white horse (who also is better than us) so we should kiss your boots? No.
Elves are part of this world and in every genre they are aloof and act that they are distant and apart...yet realize "hey...we live here too!" just in time to be the deus ex machina and save the beleaguered men from the fate they were dying in by the droves to save the world from...and thanklessly.
Does the short lives of men make them less than the elves? No.
This pompous attitude and aloof xenophobic lifestyle makes them no less evil to me than the dark elves.
If you can do everything better than men, pay the price.
In my eye, the elven core should be double to triple the cost for what they pay. Why not? You're eternal, you don't have the numbers or breeding habits that the 'lesser races' have? So come out from the country club "ulthen" and fight like the rest of us.

They make me sick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The high elves are my favorite because in times of peace they actually function in raising the cultural level of they're entire world, like the greeks. Oh and because the above poster hates them.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
It always seems to be the armies you can't actually play, like Tileans and Kislev. They have models etc but they ain't really true armies in the normal sense.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most hated:

High Elves
: In every fantasy Genre, the elves exist. I get that. They're a staple of the genre. In every genre, they play the role of the most gorgeous, the most gifted, the hight of martial prowess, the tragedy of the gorgeous elves.
I'm sick of it.
The mentality of "oh, we're the best. Why? Just because" is infuriating and just worn thin. I get it, you're gorgeous. I get it, you live longer. I get it, blah blah blah....to fight in our world you're descending from your high white horse (who also is better than us) so we should kiss your boots? No.
Elves are part of this world and in every genre they are aloof and act that they are distant and apart...yet realize "hey...we live here too!" just in time to be the deus ex machina and save the beleaguered men from the fate they were dying in by the droves to save the world from...and thanklessly.
Does the short lives of men make them less than the elves? No.
This pompous attitude and aloof xenophobic lifestyle makes them no less evil to me than the dark elves.
If you can do everything better than men, pay the price.
In my eye, the elven core should be double to triple the cost for what they pay. Why not? You're eternal, you don't have the numbers or breeding habits that the 'lesser races' have? So come out from the country club "ulthen" and fight like the rest of us.

They make me sick.
This is SO awesome. I wish I was I was closer to L.A. so that I could commence to layin' down some pompous, eternal, xenophobic, country-clubbing SMACK on those 16-1 (or whatever it is now, Blackspine) Beastmen of yours. :biggrin:

All kidding aside (and that was kidding), I love it when players get truly "into" their armies and, to use Blackspine's own term, "embrace the dorkiness" of this hobby. So much more fun than power gaming.

Cheers, mate. :drinks:

·
Registered
68 Posts
what was the fantasy space marine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chaos, fo' sure.

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
WoC l love there Lore and H.P Lovecarft does some epic books

l am with blackspine death to the immortal high country club

P.S l really hate White Lions due to the fact. Whats that GW are heavy and slow moving so l might be able to quickly..... ops there still faster then me....

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Lizardmen! Hell yeah! What boy doesn't want an excuse to play with dinosaurs! Closely followed by Clan Eshin skaven- an army of ninjas!

what was the fantasy space marine?
If by this, you mean what race is the fantasy poster boy, there isn't one as clear cut as marines for 40k. Previously I would have been inlcined to say empire, but lately I feel GW has gone high elf mad. I have a high elf army and I'm sick to death of the High Elf orgy that's been going on lately.

WoC l love there Lore and H.P Lovecarft does some epic books

P.S l really hate White Lions due to the fact. Whats that GW are heavy and slow moving so l might be able to quickly..... ops there still faster then me....
In all fairness, Swordmasters pose this problem as well. The bithy thing about White Lions is that you can't effectively shoot them with anything less than the best artillery at your disposal, and once you're in combat, you are in trouble. And there are some armies out there who can't bring that sort of ranged firepower to the table either.

·
Registered
478 Posts

That is the one that really makes me think that some one at GW loves HE more than they should. Just mind blowing....those buggers should cost 2x more than they do for that reason alone.
...ok, maybe I'm bitter that they get free re-rolls and ASF with GWs.....and my army has to take tests for re-rolls...and that's our only real reliable special rule.

This is SO awesome. I wish I was I was closer to L.A. so that I could commence to layin' down some pompous, eternal, xenophobic, country-clubbing SMACK on those 16-1 (or whatever it is now, Blackspine) Beastmen of yours. :biggrin:

All kidding aside (and that was kidding), I love it when players get truly "into" their armies and, to use Blackspine's own term, "embrace the dorkiness" of this hobby. So much more fun than power gaming.

Cheers, mate. :drinks:
Thanks man!
Yeah, I'd love for some more competition around LA. A good defeat where you learn is worth it's weight in gold. I try to always take something from every game....even the ones I just watch. (I watched about 20 games before fielding my first fight)
Cheers to you, may your fights be bloody, reckless and savage!

·
Registered
314 Posts
That is the one that really makes me think that some one at GW loves HE more than they should. Just mind blowing....those buggers should cost 2x more than they do for that reason alone.
...ok, maybe I'm bitter that they get free re-rolls and ASF with GWs.....and my army has to take tests for re-rolls...and that's our only real reliable special rule.!
Dude, too right you're bitter, those guys are mental! What is even more crazy is the fact that last week I faced off two characters in a 2200 point army. I can't remember what his name is, but the WL leader (begins with a K), always strikes first, re-rolls, stupid number of attacks, great weapons, killing blow... Need I go on!?

The other one was the new leader on the griffon, and this was all within the 25%, what! Luckily even the uber elf units don't stand up to a cannonball...to the face!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts