Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys what is your favourite BL novel. Mine is Know no fear. The first BL novel i ever read and it was an amazing read. Its actually my favourtie novel of all time. Also has anyone read fire warrior? I like the tau and am nostalgic for that terrible game lol, so can anyone recomend it?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Son of Horus and Sabbat Martyr.

Edit: Eisenhorn as well, it being the first book I'd read that really pulled off a first person perspective and just the incredible way that Abnett brought the Imperium to life like no other novel had before really, showing the Imperium at street level, not in a warzone or with chaos, deamons, orks, tyranids or others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have only read 13 BL novels, but so far my favorite is Xenos. I am a huge detective science fiction fan, and although I love the Space Marine stuff, Xenos particularly resonated with me.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Tie between The Talon of Horus and Void Stalker, both are just fantastic.

Honourable mention to Fire Caste, very atmospheric and very dark.

LotN

·
Registered
533 Posts
Legion, A Thousand Sons and Betrayer are the shortlist

They're three books that really inspired me to start an army of the three featured legions. I went with the Alpha Legion but it was such a close call...

I wouldn't want to choose a single favourite of the three. I've read Legion twice, am re-reading ATS now and will get round to Betrayer eventually. I raced through them originally so it's difficult to select one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Daemon World by Ben Counter. Epic battles between various Chaos factions tend to make much better reading than Space Marines discussing their unshakeable faith and polishing their power armour :biggrin:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok guys what is your favourite BL novel. Mine is Know no fear. The first BL novel i ever read and it was an amazing read. Its actually my favourtie novel of all time. Also has anyone read fire warrior? I like the tau and am nostalgic for that terrible game lol, so can anyone recomend it?
Have you read many BL novels? I only ask as Know No Fear would not make my top 30..

·
Registered
75 Posts
A tie between the Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogies. Domestic 40k is usually much more appealing to me. I want more.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you read many BL novels? I only ask as Know No Fear would not make my top 30..
Many of the HH novels, and a bunch of 40k. I thought knf was the perfect read. Action, great characters, great atmosphere.It really changed the way the ultramarines are percieved.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Also has anyone read fire warrior? I like the tau and am nostalgic for that terrible game lol, so can anyone recomend it?
Read it, beat the game; and to be quite honest while the game and book are bad I would recommend the game. The gameplay is generally terrible but they get weapons right for the most part (plus that game had rail rifles long before they were in the codex.)

For me, my favorite novel has to be the anthology Let the Galaxy burn if for nothing else but The Wrath of Kharn.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
It's a bit much to pick just one. Ask me tomorrow and I might give you a different asnswer, but...

I still love Lord of the Night (the book, not our esteemed fellow member). The First Heretic would have to be my favourite HH novel. Stormcaller has recently jumped to near the top of my list as well.

For me, my favorite novel has to be the anthology Let the Galaxy burn if for nothing else but The Wrath of Kharn.
Oooh, yeah, that was a good one. Kharn's kill clock was a nice touch. It also has Hell in a Bottle, one of the best shorts I've read.

It really changed the way the ultramarines are perceived.
Considering the below quote, how can you make that statement if it's the very first exposure you had to the smurfs? You never knew how they were perceived up to then.
The first BL novel i ever read and it was an amazing read.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also has anyone read fire warrior? I like the tau and am nostalgic for that terrible game lol, so can anyone recomend it?
Read it, beat the game; and to be quite honest while the game and book are bad I would recommend the game. The gameplay is generally terrible but they get weapons right for the most part (plus that game had rail rifles long before they were in the codex.)

So the book is no good?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a bit much to pick just one. Ask me tomorrow and I might give you a different asnswer, but...

I still love Lord of the Night (the book, not our esteemed fellow member). The First Heretic would have to be my favourite HH novel. Stormcaller has recently jumped to near the top of my list as well.

Oooh, yeah, that was a good one. Kharn's kill clock was a nice touch. It also has Hell in a Bottle, one of the best shorts I've read.

It really changed the way the ultramarines are perceived.
Considering the below quote, how can you make that statement if it's the very first exposure you had to the smurfs? You never knew how they were perceived up to then.
The first BL novel i ever read and it was an amazing read.
While it was my fire bl novel, it wasn't my first expeirience with warhammer. I had been playing TT long before the books.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
So the book is no good?
Well it does result in a firewarrior, on his first mission, getting corrupted by Khorne. There are some good elements to it, and a ton of liberties taken (though nothing as bad as backflipping terminators.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the book is no good?
Well it does result in a firewarrior, on his first mission, getting corrupted by Khorne. There are some good elements to it, and a ton of liberties taken (though nothing as bad as backflipping terminators.)
Tau were my first army so I'm super nostalgic for them. I may order it just to ease my heart

·
Registered
533 Posts
Huh... I'd forgotten about Daemon World. It was the first BL book I read and I really liked it the two times I read it

The First Heretic is amongst my favourites. One of the HH books I blazed through so quickly I remember few of the details, but the fact I got through it so fast despite it being a legion I don't like much (even though they were my 4th ed army) means I must have been really into it. The HH books dealing with the initial fall of legions and the major events that have long been part of the lore (the WB being criticised by the Emperor) tend to be the better ones- I wish they'd get on with more of that sort of thing rather than seemingly inconsequential books like the last two.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Talon of Horus
Ahriman: Exile
Eisenhorn
Ravenor

That's the reverse order I read them. Probably the order of my preference, but it's been a long time since I read the Inquisitors. But I'd never argue with anyone who says any of them are the best BL book of all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Space Wolf (William King)

Eisenhorn
Ciaphas Cain

1 - 20 of 27 Posts