Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. What is you favorite quotation from the 40k universe? Rulebooks, codexes, fiction or games. Let us know and where it come from.

I'll start with my all time high!

"Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane." ~2ed rulebook.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Immortality is not the same as invulnerability, but it is close enough. - Illuminor Szeras

Had that as my signature for ages. I also love the one Zandrekh has because it just shows how barmy he is yet he is still an amazing tactician.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
A small mind is easily filled with faith.

I found this to be perfectly suited to represent certain people in real world :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine is from the Daemonhunters Codex, just made me fall in love with the Inquisition.

I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A small mind is easily filled with faith.

I found this to be perfectly suited to represent certain people in real world :p
That came to mind as soon as I read this thread!

I remember another one from one of the old rulebooks about an open mind being easily corrupted, I wish I could remember it. The 40k universe has always had great quotes

edit:

'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. But those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live.'

^Real life dictators should use this kind of justification

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
My favorites are both from chaos characters published during 2nd Edition. For those who know me, I did most of my playing and reading during 2nd ed, so there's a special place in my heart for the content from that period of time. The I did a quick search before posting copies of these and Aaron Dembski-Bowden had a blog post from a few years ago about my favorite quote which is attributed to Kargos Bloodspitter, Champion of Khorne. My second quote is from Lufgt Huron from the books in the 2nd ed boxed game before any of the Badab war content existed, and before the 2nd ed chaos codex was published where he was first described as anything more than a name with quotes.

Kargos Bloodspitter said:
Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear.

- Codex Imperialis, p.77
Lufgt Huron said:
Though my guards may sleep and ships may rest at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire.

- Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition Rulebook, pg. 48

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I remember another one from one of the old rulebooks about an open mind being easily corrupted, I wish I could remember it. The 40k universe has always had great quotes
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded? ;)

Originally Posted by Kargos Bloodspitter, Champion of Khorne
Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear.
Yes, that one is pure poetry. Something an imperial loyalist could never understand.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Nef, I really like it because it is neither insane or fanatical. Kargos clearly looks at his life without judgement and is glad of it.

I think this sort of perspective on chaos is refreshing and under played in recent editions.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Totally underplayed. I feel the same, it's a "realistic" way to see chaos. One doesn't join chaos just to eat the spleen of some poor guy in battle (not everyne, at least!), but for more selfish reason and for power, immortality, freedom. I remember another little quote/story from CSM codex (3.5 ed) about a chaos worshipper from a barbaric world (the seventh son of Kashada or something like that)and how his people worshipped the four winds and fought the Sun God (emprah) worshippers...someone could post it here? it was amazing!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That came to mind as soon as I read this thread!

This might be it?

"An empty mind is like unto a freshly turned sod: if not sown with the seeds of love, duty and honour, the insidious weeds of heresy will take root." Heresy and Faith: an introspection. ~2ed codex imperialis.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I had a similar thread at some point, but I think it died out in the vast space that is Heresy. So I will post my favorite quote here:

Know this Blood Angel. Your final mission was a failure. Your brothers are dead. We will wear their armor in the battle against the false Emperor. And know this, Champion of the IX Legion. Twice now the sons of the Night Haunter has seen you slain. Greet the afterlife within the warp knowing you were too weak to triumf over us, even once.

Your bones will be made into trophies for our armor. We will feed upon your gene seed. And whatever remains of your glorious walking tomb will be salvaged by our tech-priests to house a champion of our own Legion.

Die ... With the eternal taste of failure on your tongue.
- Talos, Soul hunter

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
"A plee of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty!" - Fyodor Karamazov

·
Registered
533 Posts
Attack is the only order worth remembering.
-Kharn the Betrayer

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded? ;)
That's the one! I wonder if you could try saying it to people IRL until somebody agrees with you

This might be it?

"An empty mind is like unto a freshly turned sod: if not sown with the seeds of love, duty and honour, the insidious weeds of heresy will take root." Heresy and Faith: an introspection. ~2ed codex imperialis.
It's a nicer quote but I don't go back as far as 2nd edition

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Well, even if they don't agree in words, many times they do agree in actions. So they still agree...

-Serve the Emperor today. Tomorrow you might be dead.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
"I have received your messages, acquainting me that these worlds belong to your Emperor, your master. In return I am to inform you that the said worlds belong to his Ethereal Majesty, Aun'O Bork'an Vral, my master, by right of settlement. Should you wish to gain similar rights you must submit yourselves to his wisdom as members of the Tau empire."

-Por'el Tau'n Ukos, Water caste negotiator

"The first rule of unarmed combat is: don’t be unarmed."

-Unknown Fire Caste drill instructor

"It appears to me that, lacking the sense of unity that might inform them of their insignificance, these Gue’la have come to think that they might own the stars themselves, even the spaces in between them. Only by our presence, I think, might we now convince them otherwise."

-Kor’O Tau’n Viel

·
Registered
720 Posts
Have a few favourites:
Let them hide in their fortress, my crew could use the target practise.
-Chorus spear of Macragge.

Victory does not always rest with the big guns but if we rest in front of them, all will be lost.
-Commander od the Silver Skulls.

Hiding in the trees are they? Lets see those grox-lovers hide from this!
-Wyvern Commander.

Heroes of Armageddon! You have withstood the savgery of the Orks, and they have nothing left for you to fear. So raise high the black banners of vengence- now is our time!
-Commissar Yarrick.

''Ensign! Ensign! Why is that asteroid shooting at us?"
-Captain Alamander encounters Ork Roks for the first time

Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken.
- Urien Rakarth, haemonculus

Their arrogance is matched only by their firepower.
-Eldar about the Imperium

Your understanding is not required mongh-keigh, only your surrender.
-Eldar Autarch of Saim Hann

Dis here'z my choppa n' dis here'z my gun. Dis 'un's fer killin' n' soz dis 'un!
-Ork Kommando

It was he who lead us to the Ork known as Ghazghkull. He commanded us to steer him to your world of Armagedon. Ten thousand Eldar lives would have been lost if not done so, what is an million humans for such a cause?
-Eldar Ranger

1 - 20 of 39 Posts