Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your experience of Overwatch? For me, it is an asymmetrical benefit: blobs with low BS love Overwatch because they get a lot of shots at not much disadvantage over their usual. While elite forces get only a few shots at a big disadvantage over their usual. Coupled with charge dice it that moves 40k toward dicehammer. So good if you like dicehammer, less good if not. I'm less a fan of dicehammer so considering using the USGTA rules. They change charge dice to 6" + any bonus dice. And Overwatch is not applied against Assault units. That sounds right minded for the kind of game I like, but has anyone used those rules yet?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
TBH I've never found it to be too much of a worry, potentially it can be bad but in practise it often has little to no effect.

But then I've not faced Tau yet !

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Same boat as Mags on this, Overwatch has maybe killed a couple of people when I charged but it rarely changed the outcome. Failed charge distance rolls have hurt me more than Overwatch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A bunch of flamers or a horde of guys can make it a bit better. Another at least OK thing is psycannons of GK as you get 4 shots each weapon.

In general it is there to make you maybe fail a very close assault distance with losing the closest guy.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
overwatch as the other have said really doesnt bother me either, never seen i drastically change a game although in saying that, whenever i play my nids my opponent's always get bloody 6's haha
and when i play my raven wing with the banner of devastation it can be pretty brutal.

i have a bigger issue with pre measuring than over watch. slows that game down too much

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
If pre measuring is slowing your games down it is due to your players. It has quickened games around here because people spend less time staring at the board wondering if they have the range or not.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Overwatch has mattered exactly once in my experience of 6th edition, and I've been playing a lot. Old Fire Warriors rolled a couple of 6s and nailed the two Purifiers that were assaulting them. Didn't matter much, since my Paladin deathstar was in their lines by that point (and this was back when Paladins were characters).

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Ever since the edition changed it hasn't affect me much as I started tailoring my lists to 6th. My necrons have tesla, and almost never charge, and my CSM's have dirge casters on every rhino. However my necrons did luck out and kill a entire 7 man DA unit once when they charged me due to causing 10 wounds thanks to tesla.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Same for me. I have lost a model or two to Overwatch, but it has not really changed the game that much. It provides some much needed balance to shooty armies as in 5th the rule was rush into combat as quickly as possible. Now that you have to think about whether or not you want to take that risk it is nicer. And this is coming from someone who never leaves home with out his Deathwing Knights.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
it itself has maybe denied half a dozen charges in my gaming group (of about 20 people or more). killed lots of models, but again it is usually rolling terrible assault dice that foil most peoples' plans.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a fair amount of heavy flamers in my Deathwatch army. They haven't killed a single thing in three games, even though there have been at least 7 counts of Overwatch on my side...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Even the new Tau Overwatch isn't that scarey. It's not really a good idea to have all your units so close. But I also find, it's not really horde armies gaining an advantage, so much as fragile, high Initiative assaulters getting a disadvantage. So, Eldar, Dark Eldar and many Daemon units can get mowed down because their saves are worse. But when they do reach combat can be quite good. But even for my Wyches, failed assault distance rolls has hurt more than Overwatch, even against a horde target.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
My overwatching Imperial Guards have mowed down so many marines and terminators...overwatch and random charge distance make the game less depending from strategy. it is not a think I like, but it can be fun, in "for fun" games.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I like the rule. It makes sense. You are a guardsmen, you are about to be charged by a daemon that will eat your face - close your eyes, spray and pray!

So far hasn't made a big difference, except for one a unit charged my warrior squad on raider, I only killed the one model but it happened to be the one with the powerfist. It saved their bacon (for one turn atleast).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Overwatch does, and I think should, make you rething 10-12" charges. You're making an 11" charge with terminators and roll an 11, there's two guys leading the pack and you lose both of them to overwatch, now you're not attacking.

Too many people view overwatch as a method of gaining kill points, or a method of softening charges and poo poo it as useless. It's neither, but a method of avoiding charges all together in intentionally rare situations.

In a way it does add a tactical element, because you need to plan your charges to ensure they won't be affected by overwatch, and the player who fails to do so...

Seriously on turn 5 assaulting a group holding an objective when you're down a single point, failing a charge due to overwatch can make or break your game, and a good general doesn't let that happen if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Overwatch does, and I think should, make you rething 10-12" charges. You're making an 11" charge with terminators and roll an 11, there's two guys leading the pack and you lose both of them to overwatch, now you're not attacking.

Too many people view overwatch as a method of gaining kill points, or a method of softening charges and poo poo it as useless. It's neither, but a method of avoiding charges all together in intentionally rare situations.

In a way it does add a tactical element, because you need to plan your charges to ensure they won't be affected by overwatch, and the player who fails to do so...

Seriously on turn 5 assaulting a group holding an objective when you're down a single point, failing a charge due to overwatch can make or break your game, and a good general doesn't let that happen if it can be avoided.
Totally agree. That is the real purpose of the rule. A couple of dead bodies are not the hint of a succesful overwatch fire. the ensuing denied charge is.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
When I have Foreboding up its game breaking, makes me basically immune to assault.

Other times it is not particularly dangerous, Orks like it though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
New daemons with 5+ saves as the norm and t3 dont fair so well against shooty armies. over-watch can and does frequently kills a few guys when i charge so it hurts but then again they usually rock in CC so make it back there.

Yes my daemons would be happier if there was no over-watch but i don't think its that big a deal and it's fairly balanced with over-watch in the game. Also it add more realism to the game and can throw something completely unpredictable in your face from time to time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn't it far more likely you'll lose your charge to rolling an inch less than whatever you needed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts