Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I play Space Marines and I have been compiling my fluff for my custom chapter. "Oh great, ANOTHER Marine player!" I hear you say. Well please bear with me.:eek:k:

A Black Templar fleet was engaged in a crusade that brought them close to the border with Tau space. They found a small, unnamed system with a very interesting planet. This planet was highly volcanic, but under it's crust were huge deposits of minerals that are vital in the production of Ceramite, used for heat protection on armor. Needless to say, this planet would be vital to the Templars, and indeed the whole Imperium.
Unfortunately, a Tau force had already settled on the this world's neighbouring planet, and the Templars could not exploit this planet without alerting the enemy. It was therefore necessary to push the Tau out of the system.
The Templars launched a large attack. They did not succeed in forcing the Tau out completely, but suppressed them to such an extent that they could settle on their target world in relative safety. They named the new planet Magmanos, and claimed in the name of the Emperor.
The Tau were not going to simply let the marines make themselves at home. A massive Tau force entered the system and attempted to repel their aggressors. The Templars had to draft in additional fleets to retain control of the system, with an estimated total of 700-800 Templars needed just to hold the Tau back.
After several months of hard fought battles all over the system, the Templars were called away by the High Marshal to aid the main fleet elsewhere in the galaxy. But this planet had to be controlled, so the defense force, now consisting of roughly 1,600 marines, organised into 16 full battle companies, remained in the system while the rest of the Templars responded to the High Marshal's order.
Almost three decades passed and by this time, the Marines had had almost no contact with their battle brothers. They were painting their armor differently in order to allow them to hide better on their volcanic planet. They had changed their emblem to better suit the environment: The Templar cross, but scarlet red, bordered in black and bathed in orange fire.
They were no longer Black Templars. They had even gone to the extent of renaming themselves. They were now the Knights of Magmanos, named after their beloved world. Magmanos was named as their Chapter World. They were a new Chapter.
Their power armour retains the primarily black colours of their former brothers, but the shoulderpads, kneepads, belt and backpack are painted the same scarlet as their symbol. The trims and eagle on their chest are emblazoned in the purest gold.
Recently, the Knights have almost completely crushed the Tau forces, and have begun extending back out into the galaxy. They once again made contact with the Templars, but not as Templars themselves. This came as a shock to the Templars, but was reluctantly accepted, as the Knights refused to re-merge with their former Chapter, claiming that the others had abandoned them, and forgotten their former brothers. After copious parlay between the two groups, the Knights forgave the Templars and admitted they were not abandoned. But they still kept to themselves. However they remain close allies with the Templars, and can be relied upon to fight at their side when necessary.
The Knights maintain the mentality of the Templars, such as the deep resent of all Psykers. Like their former Chapter-mates, they do not completely follow the Codex Astartes, and are also under the prying eye of the Inquisition.
They retain good relationships with the Black Templars, and can be expected to fight alongside them when they are asked to by the High Marshal.
They were also called out to suppress an uprising on the planet Mogilev, (which ties in with my friend's fluff, http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69864).
:thank_you:

If anything is inaccurate with existing fluff, or anything needs changing in general, then don't hesitate to let me know, I am open to constructive criticism and helpful advice.
But please, constructive criticism and helpful advice only.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It's good so far. I would like to know more about why they decided to start a new chapter instead of staying as Templars, and would like to know more about when they were reunited with the other black templars, so what happened there, their reactions to what happened, etc.

Have some rep for work so far

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's good so far. I would like to know more about why they decided to start a new chapter instead of staying as Templars, and would like to know more about when they were reunited with the other black templars, so what happened there, their reactions to what happened, etc.

Have some rep for work so far

Kudos to that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump

The message you have entered is too short. Please enter at least 10 characters then try again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking of renaming the Chapter the Fire Legion. Add this to the end:

There are those who interpret the use of the word "Legion" in the Chapter name as a direct defiance to the Codex Astartes and a sign of the inheritance of the stubborness so commonly associated with Imperial Fists derived chapters. The Legion hold the opinion that to limit onesself as a precaution, to prevent future heresies is a sign you have no faith in your brother marines, that you have no faith that they will stay true to their Emperor.

At some point I might copypasta and re-edit the whole thing with any new fluff I come up with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts