Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to perfect an anti tau list and have come up with this list. (from all the units I have)

Bloodthirster
Lord of Change - We are legion
4 x bloodcrusher, icon, fury, instrument
3 x flamer
7 x plaguebearer, icon
7 x plaguebearer
5 x horror, changling
soul grinder, phlegm
prince, tzeentch, gaze, breath of chaos.

I have 15 points to spare and want 40 points to spare. That is so I can also buy master of sorcery and breath of chaos for my lord of change. Basically I want to suicide run my prince and Lord of change with my flamers and take out as many many units as possible with breath of chaos. Thus his focus will be on three separate units, two of which have 4 wounds each. However he won't want the flamers alive long either as they have three breath of chaos attacks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
drop grinder if your up against tau because it will just get taken down by rail guns now you have a 150 points to buy lord of change mastary of sorcery and breath that gives you a 110 points to play with i would suggest getting some more horrors with bolt they have there ap 4 of death which is amazing for killing fire warriors or perhaps get a herald of tzeentch on charriort?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already got my two HQ choices so cant get the herald. and i've never had a problem with my soul grinder against his tau. he has always been amazingly effective. I could always give it a go though.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Against Tau I suggest you try slaansh units: daemonettes and fiends instead of the plaguebearers and bloodcrushers... slaanesh has 2 massive advantages: they are incredibly fast so will get into combat with tau turn 2 and then every turn after that that they survive and they are quite cheap with lots of models. Tau have nice high strength weapons but they have relatively few shots... so a unit of fiends dropping in out of RF range wont take all that much shooting.. and can then potentially move <24" in the next turn so should be in combat. Daemonettes will just cut through any Tau units with ease and are fast enough to get there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would agree with spawn. Drop the soulgrinder. he is nice but tau just wreck him right off the bat. With the last couple of points you can boost up those horrors or you can simply buy another flamer squad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i dont have the fiends yet :( am tempted to proxy my crushers as fiends though and see how they go.

Funny thing with the grinder my friend gets REALLY unlucky with his rolls against it. ALWAYS. so the grinder has kinda turned into my mascot against him as it literally rips apart his army. (you have no idea how unlucky he gets).

Daemonettes i must seriously be doing something wrong with those girls because they just die. Always. Last game i tried 15 of the them and only one managed to get into combat. Whereas my plaguebearers just last and last and last. Any help with the nettes would be greatly appreciated.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
DS the daemonettes in the 2nd wave about 16" from the enemy... then run to be ~14-15" away. YOu send them in teh 2nd wave so that there are more targets for the enemy to shoot and his fire is less concentrated... and hopefully you'll either have shot or be in combat with some of his units (again lessening his firepower). A DS at ~16" means nothing too bad can happen to you and you wont mishap... and after running you should manage to within 14-16" range from the enemy. Most people wont advance towords a combat unit and if they move away you are fine... if they stay still its only 1/2 the firepower.
I always shield my daemonettes with other more intimidating units... or just having more units of daemonettes. Having some fiends or horrors next to the daemonettes can help but having 3 units of them all close to 1 isolated enemy unit is best. Most people still set up vs daemons in nice long lines... giving you a flank to eat your way up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
daemonettes are a bit tough to use considering they are very fragile. I usually run two-three big squads of 15. considering only one unit will either die or will be reduce to such a small number they are practically useless

·
Registered
51 Posts
daemonetts would get wasted buy tau fire warrior they are only toughness 3 and tau fire warriors would be wounding them on 2 with strength 5 guns and they only have a 5 up invulnerable they wont last long especially if he fires a cupple of markalights at them to

·
Registered
648 Posts
Fiends and chariot Tzeralds mess Tau up. Daemonettes are too soft, Grinders are too vulnerable to railguns, and Crushers are simply too slow.

Fiends are expensive, so I never recommend buying the metal models. Use other models instead, like Chaos Spawn w/ Slaaneshi bits, Cold Ones, or something similar.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he runs a lot of different stuff (we keep trying new things out against each other).

But its usually a sh!t loada fire warriors (which my changling keeps in check)
devilfish
kroot (which he likes to use as cannon fodder)
big ass tank with the huge mahossive gun - can't remember its name (that never ever hits me....he gets rather angry)
markalights (though to be honest they do didley squat)
those dudes who you need to roll to hit, can infiltrate (cant remember their name either)
and lotsa suits, which p!ss me off a great deal running forward shooting their plasmas and crap and then running away again.

I am definitely going to invest in some fiends (next payday) and give them a go. Herald i haven't tried yet against tau, but I am really happy with my LOC and BT combo for HQ choices. They both return their points and then some.

i know the crushers are slow but they act as such good diversions and shields. I suppose I could drop the nettes with them and see how that goes. I've just had sooo much bad experience with my nettes against his tau (as i said the best I've got to is one daemonette actually making it to combat out of at least 6 games now) I'm either using them completely wrong (i wouldn't be surprised) or they just suck vs tau.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Daemonettes are utterly brilliant... but you need to use them well. Mob them around isolated enemies, take the enemy apart piecemeal and keep them out of the enemy RF range and there is nothing better... but use them unthinkingly and throw them in front of an enemy battle line and they become toast faster then you would imagine possible.

The thing about daemonettes that makes them so good is that you basically have to shoot them. If you let them charge you then its probably game over (I've never lost vs anything if more then 14 nettes have charged... and never lost badly if ~10 have gone in).
I was playing a blood angel assault based army on wednesday- small units of I4 marines simply cannot compete with daemonettes no matter how many of them there are. Even if he had been using units of 10 he would have still lost every combat.

Basically the enemy must get into RF range and use small arms fire to really kill daemonettes (he could use large amounts of heavy bolter type fire from longer ranges but then he has nothing left for the fiends/DPs/Heralds/GDs in your army). If you can use your daemonettes in multiple units and isolate the enemy then even if they wipe out 1 unit (which they rarely do- a full unit of marines should only kill 5-6 in RF range) then they get hit by the other. This means that enemies in transports pretty much have to get out to try to fend you off... but in doing so become targets themselves.
If you can get your nettes 14-16" away from enemies then you give them real headaches- they cannot RF you unless they move forwards (very few people will), they can stay still and take out a few nettes before being hit or move further away... the first is the best choice normally but few will do it (and again, mutual support means you can hit them with a second unit if they do).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts