Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently I came across an online retailer that stocks OOP minis and stuff, and I purchased some Ravenwing and Death Company transfers at the low price of 50p a sheet. Anyway, they arrived yesterday and they vary in condition quite greatly, with a couple of them looking brand spanking new, but the rest, some more so than others, are a gross yellow color. It's the whole transfer as well, including the outside area which is usually clear. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of any technique or product that can restore them to their original bright white coloration? If not and worst comes to worst I suppose I can apply the transfers and use them as a guide to paint over the top of, as I will still use them because I paid good money for them, even if painting over the top of them kind of defeats the whole purpose of using transfers in the first place.

Also on a similar note, when you print out your own transfers on to transfer paper, of which there are two kinds white and clear, and you use clear, which usually requires the transfer to be applied to a white background or else the color underneath shows through, would Deathwing bone color be light enough, or would I once again need to use the transfer as a guide and paint over the top?

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone got any idea how to fix my problem, large dose of rep if you can help me out.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I have never tried this, but a bit of an internet serach yielded this suggestion:

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/reference/tips.htm said:
YELLOWED/AGED DECALS: After a while unused decal sheets can become yellowed with age. To restore them back to their original colour and get rid of the yellowing is actually quite simple. Put them in a plastic bag and tape the bag against a window facing direct sunlight. In a few days the decal sheet should be restored. From first hand experience, the following worked - Airfix (1976) F-86D decal sheet placed in a freezer bag - trimmed to be about the size of the decal sheet. Excess plastic bag folded and taped on the back of the sheet. The decal sheet and bag were taped inside my backroom window facing west - directly into the hot Australian setting sun. Three days later - white decals!

This
also suggests similar and some other decal restoration methods

It sounds plausible as sun bleaching should help, for more info try searching for "decals" on google as alot of military models come with them and some are very old.

Hope this helps, and do post if it does - I am sure there are others out there who could benefit from this.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that mate, have some rep, I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case anyone was wondering, I stuck the the transfers to the rear window of my car last Thursday, and went to check them this morning and it's a total success, the transfers look brand new instead fo that horrible yellow color. Once again, thank you for your help, Bubblematrix.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Fantastic tip Bubblematrix.

This is one to keep in my little book of things to remember.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts