Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In every civilization, it stands to reason that as technology improves, weapons improve. And as weapons improve, technology improves to create better weapons. Even those races that espouse the 'Greater Good' follow the same trend, and so it is no surprise that the Tau have pushed through this arms race. As more and more encounters happened between Imperial forces and the Tau Empire, the XV104 Riptide was developed as a counter the heavier units being deployed by other alien factions.

Then came the designs of the XV107, the 'R'Varna' battlesuit. While less mobile than the Riptide, it boasted a stronger shell that was far tougher to crack. The weapons for this unit were experimental prototypes, and assisted the smaller Tau Empire in dealing with large-scale incursions against their wars, but in the style of all things military, civilization found ways to improve on weapons tech.

Commander O'Shovah, Farsight, had worked regularly with Ob'lotai 9-0, an Artificial Intelligence based on the personality of one of his compatriots in the wars. Using similar technology in a far more advanced battlesuit, a second AI was designed, this one modeled off of O'Rhy'an, the Starslayer, a skilled tactician and battlesuit commander in the Enclave. An advanced tactical supercomputer, wired together with the AI system and bound into the largest, most advanced battlesuit ever created.

Tau XV107b 'Starslayer' Battlesuit - 275 pts

WS 2
BS 4
S 6
T 7
W 6
I 2
A 3
Ld 10
Sv 2+

Unit Type: Monstrous Creature (Unique)
Wargear: R'varna Battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator
Special Rules: Nova Reactor - R'varna Class, Supporting Fire, Master Tactician, Not To Be Outdone, War Asset, Battlesuit Tactical Program

Master Tactician: In an army containing an XV107b Starslayer, this model must be nominated as the Warlord. It may choose one Warlord Trait from either the Farsight Enclave or Tau Empire Warlord lists.

Not To Be Outdone: No hero of the Tau Empires would ever allow itself to be led by artificial intelligence. If an army contains an XV107b Starslayer, no named characters may be taken. The Exception to this rule is Ob'lotai 9-0, who may be purchased in the same manner as a bodyguard for Farsight.

War Asset: Even with its advanced Command & Control fuctions, the battlesuit is still a heavy piece of war material. An XV107b Starslayer is a Heavy Support choice in a Farsight Enclave army.

Battlesuit Tactical Program: The Starslayer possesses advanced tactical targeting and defensive systems, but these are limited only to compatible software. In an army with an XV107b Starslayer, only vehicles and units with battlesuits may be selected.

-------------------------------------

Alright. That's where I am so far, and need help. I've given it a bunch of restrictions, and some fluff, to help it mesh to what I want... a massive Command & Control supersuit. However, I can't settle on its guns, and I feel like it needs at least one more beneficial rule to help all the suits, to go with all these restrictions. I considered being able to buy some of Shadowsun's Command Drones....

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Yeah, as it stands it's a very shitty version of the shittier Riptide.

Firstly, needs Character.

As for ideas for what gear it brings, I'd suggest that it has a rule or wargear piece with the following stuffs:

'Battlesuit Command Data Hub:
The XV107b 'Starslayer' is a pinnacle of battlesuit technology - part traditional war machine, part mobile headquarters. The Starslayer may elect to activate it's data hub at the beginning of each turn, to better command and bolster the lesser Battlesuit systems under it's command. Activation lasts for a full player turn. While the data hub is active, you may choose one rule from the following list:

Preferred Enemy
Fearless
Monster Hunter
Tank Hunter
Skyfire

This special rule applies to all models within 12" of the Starslayer. While using the data hub, the Starslayer cannot move, shoot, assault, or undertake any other voluntary action. It is hit automatically in close combat and cannot make any attacks. However, defensive protocols activate to protect the Starslayer from attack while it uses the data hub. The Starslayer counts as having the Stealth special rule and the Flechette Discharger wargear item while it is using the data hub.'

So he deactivates and takes control of the HUD in all the battlesuits, streaming targetting information from his Battlesuit's advanced sensors and such, while they protect him as he sits there buffering. I need a clause to say that you don't have to give everything within 12" Skyfire since it makes you Snap Shot at ground targets, but I can't think of a succinctly-written statement.

Armament-wise is pretty much up to you - I liked your idea of Railguns with Submunitions, although there's a lot of other guns you could choose.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rather like that idea, actually. However... would Stealth matter since it already has a 5++?

Also need to add that Drones are allowed. For obvious reasons.

I'm thinking a variation weapon. Something less than a hammerhead but more than a Broadside. Maybe Heavy2 Heavy Rail Rifles w/ Heavy2 Small Blast submunitions?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I rather like that idea, actually. However... would Stealth matter since it already has a 5++?
Yeah - stick one foot in area terrain and you get a 4+, which is nice, and if you manage to get a 4+ terrain piece covering your 25% then bully for you.

I'm thinking a variation weapon. Something less than a hammerhead but more than a Broadside. Maybe Heavy2 Heavy Rail Rifles w/ Heavy2 Small Blast submunitions?
That sounds pretty feasible. I'd keep the Submunitions as Large Blasts, one shot, Twin-Linked, but then Heavy 2 on the Solid Shot profile (Str8 AP1, yes?).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tau XV107b 'Starslayer' Battlesuit - 275 pts

WS 2
BS 3
S 6
T 7
W 6
I 2
A 3
Ld 10
Sv 2+

Unit Type: Monstrous Creature (Character)
Wargear: R'varna Battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, 2 Heavy Rail Batteries, Drone Controller
Special Rules: Nova Reactor - R'varna Class, Supporting Fire, Master Tactician, Not To Be Outdone, War Asset, Battlesuit Tactical Program, Battlesuit Command Data Hub

May purchase up to four Drones (no more than two of each) from the following:
Shielded Missile Drone (25), Command Link Drone (20), Recon drone (25), Grav-Inhibitor Drone (20).

Heavy Rail Battery: When firing a Heavy Rail Battery, the controlling player selects if it is firing solid shot, or submunition rounds. Both Rail Batteries must fire the same ammo at the same time.

Solid Shot: 60" S8 AP1, Heavy 2, Twin Linked
Submunition: 60" S6 AP4, Heavy 1 Large Blast, Twin-Linked

Master Tactician: In an army containing an XV107b Starslayer, this model must be nominated as the Warlord. It may choose one Warlord Trait from either the Farsight Enclave or Tau Empire Warlord lists.

Not To Be Outdone: No hero of the Tau Empires would ever allow itself to be led by artificial intelligence. If an army contains an XV107b Starslayer, no named characters may be taken. The Exception to this rule is Ob'lotai 9-0, who may be purchased in the same manner as a bodyguard for Farsight.

War Asset: Even with its advanced Command & Control fuctions, the battlesuit is still a heavy piece of war material. An XV107b Starslayer is a Heavy Support choice in a Farsight Enclave army.

Battlesuit Tactical Program: The Starslayer possesses advanced tactical targeting and defensive systems, but these are limited only to compatible software. In an army with an XV107b Starslayer, only vehicles, drones and units with battlesuits may be selected.

Battlesuit Command Data Hub: The XV107b 'Starslayer' is a pinnacle of battlesuit technology - part traditional war machine, part mobile headquarters. The Starslayer may elect to activate it's data hub at the beginning of each turn, to better command and bolster the lesser Battlesuit systems under it's command. Activation lasts for a full player turn. While the data hub is active, you may choose one rule from the following list:

Preferred Enemy
Fearless
Monster Hunter
Tank Hunter
Skyfire (individual units may choose firing modes, as per usual)

This special rule applies to all models within 12" of the Starslayer. While using the data hub, the Starslayer cannot move, shoot, assault, or undertake any other voluntary action. It is hit automatically in close combat and cannot make any attacks. However, defensive protocols activate to protect the Starslayer from attack while it uses the data hub. The Starslayer counts as having the Stealth special rule and the Flechette Discharger wargear item while it is using the data hub.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Don't these two rules contradict each other? If he has to be the warlord, surely he would take a HQ slot and not a heavy?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but how does that work then? Does the Warlord not take a HQ slot in these special circumstances?
Naah, you just nominate one of your 'nights/'lords. Thats all there is to it iirc. Pick him from HS and make him your warlord.

Technically, with that book you could bring 10 spiritseers as your 2 hq's and then have your warlord as something completely different so they don't argue :grin:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly so. You still have mortal commanders running the battle, but the Riptide is the important tactical hub.

In RAW terms, Warlord is just a designator for Slay the Warlord and its benefits, while HQ is just a force org slot.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm rather fond of it myself. I added in the options to take a few different drones, some rare ones, to indicate it's command and control nature. Dropped the BS back to standard 3, but twin-linked the guns. This means the Drone Controller's not too OP.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here's a question.... should I restrict the Starslayer to Farsight? Or allow both, but limit the Command Hub to only battlesuits, drones and vehicles?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts