Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So per FW, the R'Varna battlesuit can only be used in a C:TE army list.

Can anyone see a compelling reason why it couldn't be a viable option in a Farsight Enclave list, as a hourserule?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Maybe Farsight Enclaves don't have the same new technology that the Tau Empire has due to it's isolation? I'd allow it in an Enclaves army, it's not like it's particularly good.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
FW stuff is overpriced both in cash and points for what they do.
Overpriced in cash is subjective. If someone's willing to pay £400 for a Thunderhawk and they'll get £400 worth of enjoyment out of it, that's not overpriced.

Overpriced in points? I'd suggest you look up Sabre Weapons Platforms. A lot of Forge World stuff is bad, but a lot of it is really good and often that is because it's undercosted. There's a lot of balanced stuff too - Flakk Trukks, Avenger Strike Fighter, Tau Barracuda, Mortis Dreadnought; they just get overwhelmed by the tide of either shitty units or overpowered units or just plain broken (as in literally non-functional) units Forge World produce.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Overpriced in cash is subjective. If someone's willing to pay £400 for a Thunderhawk and they'll get £400 worth of enjoyment out of it, that's not overpriced.

Overpriced in points? I'd suggest you look up Sabre Weapons Platforms. A lot of Forge World stuff is bad, but a lot of it is really good and often that is because it's undercosted. There's a lot of balanced stuff too - Flakk Trukks, Avenger Strike Fighter, Tau Barracuda, Mortis Dreadnought; they just get overwhelmed by the tide of either shitty units or overpowered units or just plain broken (as in literally non-functional) units Forge World produce.
Should have specified I was referring to the Tau range they provide. I apologise.

Again, I appreciate it's subjective.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Fair enough - the only standouts are the experimental rules for the R'Varna, and the Barracuda (which isn't amazing, but compared to the Razor Shark and Sun Shark it's a massive improvement). The others are all pretty meh - maybe the Tetra, but the 6th edition Tau book doesn't really need the help with Markerlights.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, let's ignore the price point... the R'Varna was given to me as a birthday gift, and I want it in my army because of it. It's not the most amazing thing out there, but it's still pretty impressive, even if it's AP is lacking now. And short of redesigning IT as a houserule...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's not awful, but it's not 90pts better than a Riptide. If you're still fighting 5th edition, it's pretty damn awesome as it destroys clumped-up vehicles pretty nicely but it suffers against most other targets, either overkilling a single tank or killing some infantry - MEQs will shrug it off, and xenos armies don't need a huge, more-expensive-than-a-Land-Raider brick to sit there and shoot them - the Str5 AP5 profile that the Tau army brings buckets of is more than sufficient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts