Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... the Xiphon Interceptor rules are out.

One Hull Point and One AV less than a Stormraven, for 5 points more (base, before upgrades). Ceramite armor. x2 Tl Lascannons and a Pulse Laser that forces jinks to be rerolled and lets you pick the best of d3 AP results on vehicles.

It's a really nice gunship, but it's fragile, and even adding the 3+ jink (which kills that firepower the next turn)... is it worth the huge price tag?

Only place I see it really getting use is Dark Angels, to replace their poor air options.

Thoughts?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's a Crimson Hunter for Space Marines; while I can't comment on their effectiveness myself, I've never seen a Crimson Hunter being used which doesn't exactly endorse it.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
It needs Vector Dancer at the very minimum. In 30K, its 60" Stand off range is okay, but really, most Deredeo's etc can cover the entire battlefield with their 12" deployment, 6" 1st turn move, then 2nd turn 48" Interceptor Skyfire radius effectively means it covers on a 6x4 table near enough the full thing.

In 40K... I still don't think it's worth the points. I've already put a comment towards FW.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Realisically, I think it's a glass cannon. There is every chance it can come in, wreck 205 points of stuff in one or two salvoes of shooting (which is probably all it'll get with 2 HP) but that depends on what your opponent has for you to shoot. I'm not quite sure why a vehicle the size of a Rhino has 2 HP but oh well.

Vector dancer would help for sure, maybe a points reduction or another HP.

Can you write to Forge World about rules? I assumed you only wrote if rules were unclear, but otherwise they were gospel...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way I see it, comparing it to the Crimson Hunter (like @MidnightSun offered):

+45 points
Change 2 Bright Lances to 2 TL Lascannons (better strength, no Lance option. More accurate)
Add the 'AP trick' and the 'reroll jink' trick to the Pulse Laser.
Add 1 AV for all sides.
Gain Agile, lose Vector dancer. (note: I don't like Agile as a defense, because then you're shapshotting, and that basically negates it's purpose as a gunship).

If you add the Exarch cost, then it's only 25 point difference, and the BS5 brings it much closer to the TL lascannons, and really, the Lance vs the Strength makes those 2 too close to call, imho.

I feel it's far too expensive. A Stormraven costs the same and can offer nearly the same firepower, though at closer range, with more durability and transport to boot. A Stormtalon is a closer analogue, and it's got closer weaponry, especially with a lascannon tacked on.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Can you write to Forge World about rules? I assumed you only wrote if rules were unclear, but otherwise they were gospel...
They certainly respond to the community for experimental rules; case in point, the R'varna Riptide. That thing got nerfed to hell and back after it's blatantly overpowered initial ruleset was released.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.