Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1276 Posts

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to Xenobiotic's Brethren of the Phoenix log!

To follow the progress better and for newcomers to see how far I've gone in the process of creating my envisioned army of Blood Angels Successors I decided to include this list in the first post. To see the first initial post please continue down this post - Thank you.
Key: Gray = Conceptualized | Red = Built | Orange = Painting Started | White = "Done" (click to go to the post)

Blood Angel Successors - Brethren of the Phoenix
ARMY PHOTOS:
Legal Army
1000 pts

HQ:
Captain Vespillo (Counts as Tycho)
Reclusiarch-Chaplain Sabinus
Epistolary Librarian Favius
Librarian
Honour Guard - Veteran, Meltagunner, Meltagunner, Techadept + Sanguinary Initiate
Honour Guard magnetized for jump packs - Veteran (?), Veteran (?), Veteran (?), Veteran (?) + Sanguinary Initiate

ELITES:
Furioso Dreadnought w. Magnetized Weapons
Furioso Dreadnought w. Magnetized Weapons (Blood Talons vs Blood Fists + Magna-grapple)
12-man Sternguard unit
(Sanguinary Priest w. magnetized Backpack/Jumppack)
Sanguinary Priest w. magnetized Backpack/Jumppack
Sanguinary Priest w. magnetized melta bombs and power weapon
Sanguinary Priest w. magnetized melta bombs and power weapon

TROOPS:
10-man Assault Squad w. 2 x Meltaguns & Powerfist
5-man Assault Squad w. 1 x Meltaguns, Powerfist & Magnetized Backpacks/Jumppacks
5-man Assault Squad w. 1 x Meltaguns & Magnetized Backpacks/Jumppacks
5-man Assault Squad w. 1 x Flamers, Powerfist & Magnetized Backpacks/Jumppacks
5-man Assault Squad w. 1 x Flamers & Magnetized Backpacks/Jumppacks
5-man Death Company Squad w. Powerfist & Magnetized Special Weapons
5-man Death Company Squad w. Powerfist & Magnetized Special Weapons
5-man Death Company Squad w. Magnetized Special Weapons
Death Company Dreadnought w. Magnetized Weapons (Blood Talons vs Blood Fists + Magna-grapple)
Death Company Dreadnought w. Magnetized Weapons (Blood Talons vs Blood Fists + Magna-grapple)

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS:
Repressor - The Auspice
Rhino/Razorback w. Dozer Blades or click here for a weathered version
Rhino/Razorback w. Dozer Blades
Rhino/Razorback w. Dozer Blades
Death Company Rhino/Razorback w. Dozer Blades - The Salient
Death Company Land Raider Crusader
Land Raider
Drop Pod
Drop Pod
Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK:
5-man Vanguard Squad w. Thunder Hammer
5-man Vanguard Squad
Baal Predator w. Dozer Blades & Magnetized Sponsons - Gloam, of the Dusk-Bringers
Baal Predator w. Dozer Blades & Magnetized Sponsons
Baal Predator w. Dozer Blades & Magnetized Sponsons

HEAVY SUPPORT:
5-man Devastator Squad
5-man Devastator Squad
Vindicator w. Siege Shield
Predator Annihilator w. Dozer Blades & Sponsons
Whirlwind
Stormraven

SUPER HEAVIES:
Knight Warden
Fellblade

OBJECTIVE COUNTERS
Phoenix/Huma Bird Nest
Phoenix/Huma Bird
Phoenix/Huma Bird
Unnamed objective / Undecided

HOW TOs:
Dead Mans Hand Counts As
Beaked Helmets
Mud
Dirty White Armour
Jasper effect
Deep Blue Armour

Original Introduction:
I've been a member on Heresy for a few years now, albeit a very passive one. Up till now I've mostly been checking out the occasional project log or modelling tip. Lately I've grown more addicted and started to log on every day, following project logs as I found it boosted my own imagination and creativity. I've also started to write my first posts (success!) so go easy on me :cray:

I'm mostly into the collecting/painting/modelling side of the hobby. Playing is mostly a "Well, if I have to" sort of thing for me. Although this attitude has put me in a lot of trouble with my gaming buddies, seeing as how I've been trying to complete a worthwhile 1000+ pts army for ages now and I'm always distracted by something else (a valkyrie here, a greater daemon there sometimes even a painting or a drawing). If you don't believe me have a look at half of my desk:

So, inspired by the very dedicated minions and overlords of the Heresy Forums, I've decided to put together a playable army of at least 1000 pts within a reasonable amount of time. Seeing as I need to keep the model count down to actually manage (since I have studies and other artwork to do as well) I decided that some kind of Space Marines would probably be my best choice to fill out points quickly. I also have a lot of Space Marine miniatures since before. So I put the old painted ones in a box filled with pine tree oil ("Såpa" in Swedish, don't know the exact translation), ordered a bunch of boxes to fill out my ranks and started searching for a suitable colour scheme.

Having looked through some sources I liked the Iron Hands (I love their background), however their scheme isn't all that inspiring which led further down the search of successors eventually stopping at the Iron Fists (Metallic Blue armour with Gold arms). So I painted a Tactical Squad in their scheme and tried my luck on a converted Master of the Forge but they didn't really stick with me.

Conclusion:
At the same time I read through the rumours of the coming Blood Angel Codex and was a bit confused about which way to go. I liked the Blood Angels back in the 3rd edition, the furioso dreadnoughts, the close combat waves and the Death Company. But I never really fell for the "all red" armour (even with the differently coloured helmets). Their successors didn't help me much to spice the scheme up (seeing as how they are mostly all red anyway). Flipping through even more examples of chapters and trying some combinations with red out I came up with a scheme I like. Red and White. Now I just have to perfect painting it and paint 1000 points. Clobbering the Iron Fists in pause for the time being.

Without further ramblings here's the start of my Blood Angels Successors Chapter (still some finishing touches to do on the models I have painted - no squad markings and chapter symbols, purity seals not all that well painted in these pictures):
Assault Squad 1:

I choose skulls on the "arm shields" on my meltagunners on this squad and ironically I accidentally chose a powerfist with the exact skull for my squad leader, proved to be a fitting way to tie the squad together a tad more.

Assault Squad 2:

And in keeping with the previous squad I had to "align" the squad leaders powerfist with the assault weapons in the squad. An easy cut'n'scrape on a space wolf powerfist with the addition of some "green stuff mold'n'press" solved that problem:

Back to painting marines and building dreads.
Hopefully I'll have something a bit more interesting than just marines to show next time I post.

The chapter needs a name, any ideas or suggestions? Chapter symbol will most likely be very similar to the blood angels symbol (red on white shoulder pad, or perhaps another colour? Black?)
I tried painting battle damage on white armour and found it a bit tricky. Any suggestions on that?

C&C is welcome!

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
I have edited your post a little to stop multiple pictures on one line as it was making the post a bit too wide.

Tidy colour scheme and a good start on it.

For those damage holes I would normally paint the hole Boltgun and carefully wash it with Badab Black, if you want you can then highlight the edges in Chainmail and/or Mithril Silver depending on how far you want to go with it.

Look forward to seeing these progress and get named.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
nice green stuff on the last guys powerfist.
Like the colour scheme alot.
Kepp up the work, i will be following this one.
D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Have to say, i really like both the colour schemes you've come up with.

Painting is very tidy, and you've done a wicked job on the white.

Looking forward to seeing this progreess, and good luck with it :good:

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

I'll experiment more on the battledamage front when I start painting the second assault marine squad, I'll see how your suggestion works out then Viscount Vash. I like the look of the damage, I find it adds alot of character to the miniatures.

----

I still have no conclusive idea on the chapter name (most ideas I get sound to cheesy for my own taste). I'll see what next week brings me on that front.

On the painting side I've done a few assault marines and started on my first rhino (my first real attempt at freehanding) aswell as tweaking with the first of many dreads to come:

Rhino (Right side; Aiming for some kind of "flowing fabric" feel with this one. Personally I think the photo lets it down a bit):

Dreadnought (Furioso, magnetized the end of the arms (I can switch them for 2 chainfists making it look eerily similar to a khorne dreadnought. I'm thinking about converting suitable blood talon stand-ins when I get a better idea of how I'd like them to look):

Marines:

Squad 1, sofar:

----

I'm hoping that the rhino provides me with enough insight about freehanding to make something worthwhile on my dreads (aswell as the other rhino-chassi tanks and even drop pods).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Love that wavy rhino! Your battle damage is great too, nice to see some BA! :victory:

·
Registered
169 Posts
i love the art work on the rhino! army is looking great, cant wait to see the ven painted up, idont know if i like that more than the forge world one yet however..

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay on posts, I've been busy with RL. Studies are a pain in my back at the moment. Should clear up within a couple of weeks so I'll just have to keep my head floating and paint as much as I can on this army.

----

I have made some progress since last time. Apart from painting I'm soon to be overwhelmed with unopened boxes from the new BA-line. I've already recieved the first boxes and I'm putting together my first batch of death company marines aswell as converted HQ-choices and sergeants from the sanguinary guard box (which I do not plan to use in my army so I figured I could spread their lovely pieces around).

I've also decided to paint my death company in a white scheme (like Angels Encarmine in the codex) to keep at it with the white (perfection is a must to reach :p). This will prove an interesting challenge aswell since it means I have to paint a white rhino (with freehand art), 2 white dreadnoughts and, sometime in the future, a white Land Raider Crusader. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it of!

I've been fidling around with names for the chapter (this appears to be the hardest thing thusfar :angry:) and came up with a few options for now, at the moment I'm considering: Carnelian Wings?

----

Anyway, that's just about enough blabber from me, on with the pictures, as 'promised' here's the other side of the rhino (as you can see the rhino is still not completed, weathering to be done, hatches to be done, highlighting isn't completed and so on and so forth):

And here's the big surprise for this update, Battle-Brother Mavolent in his Furious glory (Where I tried both ways of painting battledamage on white - I think the CCW look great personally. Small things still to be done, highlight on the feet isn't what I want it to be, no text on the scrolls, no basing. Still have to convert Blood Talons for him, other than that he is pretty much finished now):

If you have a keen eye you'll notice the pattern on some of the plating, I stole inspiration for it from the mineral jasper. I thought that it would break the red surfaces a tad and give him a more ancient and personal feeling. It's however very hard to reproduce patterns of minerals without alot of fiddling, but you can see what I was aiming for here:

And to finish of the pictures and to keep the troops coming, a lonely assault marine:

·
Angel Sanguine
642 Posts
That looks serioudly awesome man! I like that it is so original :eek:k:

Have some well deserved +rep

·
Registered
70 Posts
those are amazing! wow... how do you do the white? idk if i missed what you said but i was just in awe at the picks man great job!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
What a great log so far/ Your execution of both red and white is very very well done. I love the scheme too.

The freehand rhino is funky, no idea whether the waves are meant to be something but it looks great anyway :eek:k:

The marble style effect on the dread looks really good from what I can see, though some detailed shots would be great.

Good job :victory:

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
First of all, thank you for the kind comments, PMs and rep!

Secondly, some answers:
I'm still experimenting with the way I paint white (considering I've sofar only painted small areas of white where my method works very well). The way I do it these days is -
1. Basecoat of Astronomican Grey
2. Repeated milk thin coat of Skull White (the milk thin part is more important than you think, cause think skull white leaves ugly brushmarks on every following layer).
3. Thin wash of Badab Black in recesses, the more time you spend here the less time you have to spend on the cleanup that follows.
4. Repeated layers of milk thin Skull White till you're happy.

Third, as you will see the pictures I take from now on will look slightly differnt from the previous ones. This is due to the fact that I've purchased som 6700K lightbulbs which are considerably more blue in their tone. This helps me keep my focus when painting at night (not turning every color into yellow, orange or brown).

Fourth, pics of the marble effect on the dreadnought (which for some reason appears to be dusty now, I don't know why):

This updates special attention goes the first completed HQ (Librarian, I know he can't have a deathmask and an angelus pattern bolter, but since I'm not using any sanguinary guard or special characters with that equipment I shamelessly use these parts to make my counts as librarian, since I took the pictures I've done some minor adjustments but basically this is the look I'm going with):

This puts me at a staggering armycount of:
Librarian
Furioso Dreadnought
8 Assault Marines
If I'd just finished painting 4 white arms I'd actually have a legal army to play with, and then I could start adding up points for a distan 2000+ goal. We'll see where it goes.

Till next time!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Again, he Marble on the dread is awesome man.

I'm really liking the librarian too. My only problem with it is the marble effect. I don't think the execution is as good as the dread. To me it just looks like the white is a little messy. I think if you used some other colours for the marble veins, such as blues or greens (instead of what I assume is black) it would be more obvious as marble. That being said though, super kudos to you for even attempting that effect, as it isn't easy. You've executed it really well on the dread but I just think the librarian isn't up to the same level, which is a real shame because if it were, you'd have a fantastic looking HQ (don't get me wrong, the rest of the libby is top notch, love the red and the flat white, and the axe is badass)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this army, especially some more vehichles :victory:

All the best

Reaper

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
good god that rhino is AMAZING!!!! :shok:

on a side note id recommend you try the same effect diagonally on the dreads, theres not a lot of retail space to do that effect vertical/horizontally imo

please post more pics please

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay, exam studies and GF had priority, thank you for the comments!

imm0rtal reaper: I agree that the execution of the marble effect on the librarian could be better (found it sloppy on some places myself when looking at these pictures), I will go over him again soon and see what I can do to make it look better.

However, while talking about white marble, the colors included in white marble vary with the type and origin of the stone, as some of you may know, some are almost grayscale, others have lots of blue and red/brown streaks in them. Google has alot of good examples, all at a different degree of difficulties to copy. Then again I see why you gave the suggestions you did since when people think marble they see a certain type of it in their mind (which would be the best one to attempt to reproduce for it to be recognized by others and not just be a blurry/dirty piece of armor).

Experience will provide excellens, I'm thinking I won't do any kind of white marble on infantry models for the time being and instead try to get it right on my upcoming white vehicles (on smaller areas to start with). The red marble effect might look good on infantry though, I'll give it a go on my vanguard sergeant (probably) and see what you think.

Fallen: I hadn't even considered doing a flowing fabric pattern on a dreadnought but now that you mentioned it I might try it out!

I've spent some time to finish of the Rhino, I'm not fantastically pleased with it. When you first look at a Rhino it doesn't feel like it's full of detail and life, but man I was going crazy for a while, finding details I'd forgotten about all the way to the finishingline. I must also admit that I am a noob in the area of weathering vehicles so I did very little on this one. I didn't have the courage to try anything and fail misserably. I'll work up the courage for my upcoming vehicles.

Rhino
:

Here's the WIP picture of my Sanguinary Priest models (they are arm and headless since those parts are going to be white). If you'd like to give me some response on the wing effect I'm trying out it would be very appreciated (middle figure, figures left wing). I didn't want them to have a typical angelic paintjob, but I'm still not sure if it will work:

Also a lonely assault marine (only one left now!):

1 - 20 of 1276 Posts