Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon All,

Speculation has certainly been growing over the past few months about the 'Next Gen' Consoles but now we seen to have a few leaks in Microsoft usually water tight armour.

It seems the Specifications for the Xbox 720 have been revealed and also a few images.

While is not the best looking piece of technology, more like an expensive toaster or desktop printer, it seems to pack quite a punch in hardware terms.

“The next-generation will be here soon, a couple of years,” said John Carmack, the man behind Doom and Quake, of the Xbox 720. “It'll be another ten times as powerful as this generation. I'd be surprised if that doesn't last over a decade before people wind up saying, well, we've really tapped out everything you could possibly do on there."

Carmack’s comments were backed up by Gadget site Fudzilla which claimed to have more concrete details on the heavily revamped processing abilities of the Xbox 720. It stated: "If speculation is correct, which our sources believe it is, the power behind the next Xbox will be a PowerPC CPU that is married to an ATI Southern Islands GPU, or modified 7000 series."
Tipped as being powerful enough to read users’ lips, the second-generation Kinect add-on will also host the ability to sense when gamers are angry and calculate in which direction they are facing.

Building on the current popular but heavily limited platform the touted Kinect 2 is said to offer increased user interaction and data transfer speeds with the now somewhat aging USB connection to be replaced by a faster means of teathering. An improved sensor and heightened voice recognition will ensure the Kinect follow-up allows for more detailed and core gaming experiences.

The Controller looks fairly standard though, just 'limousined' to include a small touch screen.

As well as outing the new controller, the Xbox World report has claimed the eagerly awaited Xbox 720 "will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player, finger-tracking Kinect."

On the potential tablet styled controller, the report added the input device will boast a "HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

"That touchcreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

Blue Ray capability seems to have been ruled out.

MCV claim to have spoken to a source which attended a top secret briefing at which Microsoft revealed there would be no DVD or Blu-ray drive on the Xbox 720, instead opting for a SSD cartridge system or digital downloads.

Speaking on the matter last year, Stephen McGill, who handles Microsoft Xbox in the UK, said: "I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format. People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay. So, who needs Blu-ray?"

Everyone likes a good codename and most famously the NGC was codenamed Dolphin, which amused many, in a good way. However I'm sure the one chosen for the 720 will be amusement of a less good natured kind.

Revealed via micro blogging site Twitter, industry blog Kotaku reported that Technical Designer at the Crysis developer studio Sean Tracy outed the future Xbox device as falling under the codename of ‘Durango’.

Something of a less joyous kind now. I'm sure there are those of you who have less money then can pay the bills and are stuck to getting Pre-Owned Games, Or maybe a few of you prefer waiting for the current big release to be played and discarded by the fan boys so you can get it on the second hand market.

Well, those days are soon to be over, if you play the 720:

With Xbox 720 games already reportedly in the works Kotaku has cited a "reliable industry source" in claiming that Microsoft will implement new features preventing gamers picking up cheap second-hand copies of the latest core titles potentially spelling an end to the pre-owned games market.

Whilst it is unclear exactly how Microsoft would implement such a move the mooted experience hampering feature would cause a rift between developers and publishers who would relish the possibility of increased revenues and retailers and end users, both of whom would be on the negative end of such a deal.

Unless Sony followed a similar route with its own next-generation console, the long mooted Sony PS4, Microsoft’s touted move of preventing the use of second-hand games could spell the end of the Xbox brand.

So that's what we have so far, like it or loathe it, it seems to be coming within a year or two.
Anyone excited? or, like me, do you just not really care :p

Alice

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I think it looks good and was sort of excited at first... But no optical drive, just streaming games/downloading them? Thats about the point when I remembered that its Microcrap thats doing the machine. I dont do that sort of shit, so fuck them.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I really don't get these motion controls that consoles are heading towards. The last thing I want to do whilst chilling on my beanbag for a sunday gaming session is flail my limbs around like a lunatic.

The fact that I'm playing video games shows that I have nothing but disdain for any type of exercise.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
I really don't get these motion controls that consoles are heading towards. The last thing I want to do whilst chilling on my beanbag for a sunday gaming session is flail my limbs around like a lunatic.

The fact that I'm playing video games shows that I have nothing but disdain for any type of exercise.
Bingo, my job is pretty much running around like a loony or flailing my arms around like I'm having a fit.( I currently collect and sort household recycling for the local council)

Why would I want to do it again in the evening holding a controller rather than throwing tins and bottles into the right places?

I like the look of the console but the death of second hand games will kill Xbox for me.

Then again who am I kidding I probably won't be able to afford the console for quite a while anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hope that controller is really someone just messing with photoshop. I play my ps3 more than 360 because the damn controllers feel clunky enough as is. I have a phone for a touch screen, dafaq do i need a touch screen controller for????

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then again who am I kidding I probably won't be able to afford the console for quite a while anyway.
Lament not my good Friend! (How dramatic :laugh: )

The 720 is supposedly going to be sold at a very reasonable £190/$300/AUS$290

Microsoft are getting senile in their old age.

Alice

·
Registered
654 Posts
I take all this stuff with alot of salt.
The console looks alright but that controller looks unwieldly and really suspicious. Ill believe it when i see it.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
The console is beautifully designed, but god that controller is fuck ugly. Other than that one little issue, I am happy with this. I am sure that if you want to put your DVD's on it, you can transfer them to somehow, or they will offer an external optical. Other than that, buy a dvd player.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
As I don't have a 360, the lack of an Optical Drive for backcompatability is not an issue; I have a PS3 so that can be used for Bluray and my back compatible games (seriously, just release DW3/3XL, FFX and NFSU2 on PSN with trophies and I'm a happy bunny, maybe even all the Spyro and Crash Games), especially if the Sony Orbis doesn't work with them.

I hope more games have Cloud gaming profiles; so that like NFS MW 2012, I can play PC or PS3 and carry on in the same save. That way I can play MW4 or BF4 on PC/Orbis/720 etc.

I hope Online only or Cloud Games aren't required. I get so pissed with my Emily's Chromebook because of that Cloud reliance. I don't mind being able to Cloud Profile Sync so that I can get trophies/achievements and progress on all saves. I'd have loved to be able to trade the PS3 save of my Skyrim Main to PC.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
apparently this is fake and was classified fake three years ago.

this is not what i said, my friend said this after i showed him.

Alice do you or your source have certified proof?

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
oh fuck my friend has joined heresy online

prepare to be annoyed

what ever you do

dont. annoy. vaz.

or galahad

definately not jezlad

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
apparently this is fake and was classified fake three years ago.

this is not what i said, my friend said this after i showed him.

Alice do you or your source have certified proof?
Yes. The information came straight from Microsoft, their Affiliates and/or the Dev's themselves.

I do not post wild speculation. (mostly domesticated or at least trained :p )

Alice

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No optical drive?

In the first 2 pictures there is an eject button and an optical drive slot similar to the PS3 or Wii's.

As to the idea of a SSD cart system, I'm not buying it. Using flash media, like Sony and Nintendo do with the Vita and 3DS/DS seems to be much more profitable. Plus all the games would become bulky and difficult to ship/transport if it went the form of a cart.

I can believe the idea of Microsoft doing Digital Downloads and streaming for all their games, I just don't know how much parents and the consumer market is going to support it at this time (we all remember Onlive, right?). Plus many publishers are aware of how much they increase sales by in store advertising in places like Gamestop (just look at Borderlands, 2K openly admits the game wouldn't have done as well with out them) so this would be a HUGE blow to all but their largest (read: AAA) titles. Finally, many people are not going to want to pay a service fee (Xbox Live Gold) after buying their games just to play them.

Personally, I don't buy it. The first 2 pictures showing optical drives is enough for me not to buy it

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
No micro wave? I'm out then.

7000 radeon series? Cutting edge? That series is going to be a antique within the next year or two.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Next console I ever get will have to be able to run HD dvds.
If rumours are to be believed then you'll not be purchasing any of the next gen consoles, depending which route they've gone down with this. There's clearly a disc drive in that picture SMG posted so the rumour is more likely to be false.

All the console makers are under pressure to crush the secondary market for obvious reasons. Right now the big contenders are Blu-Ray drive with the ability to lock out second hand games (but the ability to pay a fee to transfer that second hand game to your system) or no drive at all and online content.

A 7000 Series AMD is on par with the rumours for the PS4 as well. People need to understand that the specs in consoles are not the same as the specs in PC's. A 7000 series is a huge jump up from the 360.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts