Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read the rules, and looked at some of the reviews and such... I was just curious, from people who play the game...

Can I run a 100 pt list with a Lambda of some sort, plus 2 TIE-Defenders? I realize It'd be small, elite stuff... but can such a force work?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Its definitely a viable list but would need to be flown very carefully.

As an Imperial player, I haven't run a list with the Lambda or Defenders but have run lists with just three ships in. My latest is two Interceptors and Darth Vader. Lists like this are very hit and miss. When they are good and you are rolling good dice they are very powerful. When the dice gods are against you, they can crumble quite fast.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, once I actually learn this game I may go that route. Won't have lot of points for goodies, but...

·
8,723 Posts
Well, once I actually learn this game I may go that route.
Learning the game will take you about half an hour. Tops. :good:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I meant more like what I would do, tactics wise for each one. I can't go all out with every one of the ships because it'd be too costly, but a TIE-D is pretty elite even without a lot of bling.

·
8,723 Posts
Aah, fair play :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know where I could find Battlescribe for Xwing? Eespecially wave 3/4.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I managed to find something online with ALL of the ships and such (even a few things unreleased that have been mentioned in articles), and tried to put something together. Keep in mind I don't know a lot about this game yet, but I'm curious what people think...

Lambda Shuttle - Captain Kagi + Sensor Jammer + Rebel Captive + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (36)
TIE Defender - Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)
TIE Defender - Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)
100 pts

Nice and simple, I think. Kagi plays tank, forcing targets at him, soaking up damage with his 10 shield/hull, carrying a big gun if people get too close and causing stress. I couldn't afford any points to upgrade the T/Ds, but they're pretty strong all around fighters in general to cause mayhem.

·
8,723 Posts
I can't comment on the Defenders as I haven't run any yet.

However, the Lambda looks solid. Rebel Captive is a nasty little card, and I found the AP Lasers to be a wonderful addition for the points. You should have seen @Logaan's face the first time they cut loose on him! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not very familiar with the game yet; the T/D looks solid, with 3s across the board from piloting to weapons to hull and shields. I couldn't tell you it's dial or anything, however. It feels to me like a very strong all around 'elite' fighter, no matter without mods.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I meant more like what I would do, tactics wise for each one. I can't go all out with every one of the ships because it'd be too costly, but a TIE-D is pretty elite even without a lot of bling.
Start with just tie fighters and do a couple of games with each model to get used to it's strengths and weaknesses before looking to go with advanced fighters, once you have got used to tie fighters and interceptors (don't bother with the current tie advanced until it gets upgrades) then try out lambdas/tie bombers/defenders/phantoms/slave 1

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Seems like a reasonably good list

I personally dont like large ships becauseI often have trouble with asteroids and ship collisions with them

·
Registered
409 Posts
AP Lasers to be a wonderful addition for the points. You should have seen @Logaan's face the first time they cut loose on him! :laugh:
I can testify to this. Its a pain the arse upgrade. Combine this with the Lambda's ability to not move, you can block off paths and deny the use of space to the opposition. Its a small blocking fortress essentially.

Having played quite a few games as an Imperial player, I'm looking at TIE swarms as the way to go. Yes Interceptors are nice and shiny but they are expensive and a bad turn of dice rolling and you are down between 30 and 60% of your points. With a swarm, combined with the synergy and ability of certain pilot cards, you have a rolling wall of good attack and defence. Howlrunner is an absolute must for any swarm as any friendly ship within range one gets to reroll one attack dice. When you are only throwing out two attack dice, being able to rerolll just one dice is an absolute boon. Range 1? Three dice. Mauler Mithel? Four dice. Its all about the numbers.

Interceptors, Defenders, Phantoms are all good but still brittle. I would definitely play them in friendly games but for tournament play, I would always to choose a TIE Swarm or two Firesprays backed up by Howlrunner.

·
8,723 Posts
I can testify to this. Its a pain the arse upgrade. Combine this with the Lambda's ability to not move, you can block off paths and deny the use of space to the opposition. Its a small blocking fortress essentially.
Yup, after a piss poor performance in my first game with it, that is exactly how I used it and it worked pretty well essentially pinning Boba in position :good:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having played quite a few games as an Imperial player, I'm looking at TIE swarms as the way to go. Yes Interceptors are nice and shiny but they are expensive and a bad turn of dice rolling and you are down between 30 and 60% of your points. With a swarm, combined with the synergy and ability of certain pilot cards, you have a rolling wall of good attack and defence. Howlrunner is an absolute must for any swarm as any friendly ship within range one gets to reroll one attack dice. When you are only throwing out two attack dice, being able to rerolll just one dice is an absolute boon. Range 1? Three dice. Mauler Mithel? Four dice. Its all about the numbers.

Interceptors, Defenders, Phantoms are all good but still brittle. I would definitely play them in friendly games but for tournament play, I would always to choose a TIE Swarm or two Firesprays backed up by Howlrunner.
I read about a list that involved something like 6 or 7 T/Fs (Black squadron, iirc) and Howlrunner, all with Swarm Tactics, so I understand the concept. However, I'm aiming first for learning and playing friendly games before I'm worry about tournament lists. In this case, much like when I build a 40k list, I'm starting with ships that I'd like seeing on the table... I've never been a fan of the bow-tie aesthetic. Squints are nice, and maybe I could mass a bunch of those, but the Trip and the Lambda were the ones that I always loved. Gunship if they ever add that.

·
8,723 Posts
Gunship if they ever add that.
I wouldn't mind seeing the old Assault & Missile Gunboats, and the Skipray Gunship :good:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.