Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the new IG codex, and trying to wrap my mind around the points cost of a wyvern. The cost is very similar to a heavy weapons squad with mortars (which may itself be overpriced, I suppose, never used one), but by any measure I can think of a wyvern is head, shoulders and belly button superior, and to be honest I'm not really coming up with much that is a similar point cost that has anything like the same effect. Is it just that I play against Orks a lot that makes the point cost look insanely low?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the wyvern is overhyped. It's better than the mortal team, of course. But it also eats up a heavy slot, which is infinitely more valuable. It's good against exactly one thing, masses of low armor infantry. You put that infantry in transports and you're golden. The wyvern is extremely specialized, and I dislike it for that reason. If you're not facing hordes of low armor infantry, it doesn't do jack ****. The manticore, in comparison, can fill multiple roles. It threatens higher armor, it instakills just about anything it hits due to ridiculous strength, and it's very good anti-vehicle as well as being anti-horde.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It will eat guardsman, cultists, orks, gaunts, guardians, kabilites and plaguebearers alive. Since these are all fairly common scoring units, why would you not take a minimal investment to ruin their day? My two biggest backfield scoring units are cultists and plaguebearers, so I already hate this thing. Ludicrous damage (when firing at its preferred targets) for its cost.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Honestly, 2 wyverns should be autoincluded in every AM army. 130 pts for 8 mothafuking rerolling scatter, shredding, frag templates... specialized it is, yes, but so cheap that you laugh at your opponent longfangs. It will also eat alive MEQ due to ridiculous hits amount inflicted. An average 8 wyvern blasts on top of ten marines (considering the average scatter) will end with the superhumans losing 6-8 models. Brutal. Squadroning here is your friend. 2 wyvern, 2 russes/demolishers, a manticore. Heavy slots filled and yes, shit just hit the fan.
It's not op, its underpriced. And it becomes nobrainer for this simple reason.
This my take on it.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If they were even vaguely survivable, they'd be good, but as it is I don't think they're that great. You still can't target out of Line of Sight, you still can't deal with re-rollable 2++s, and they're on incredibly fragile platforms. They're nice, but only about *as* nice as the Griffon was.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone actually used one yet (a bit early still, I know)? In terms of the troops slot/heavy slot issue, with Tank Commanders you can free up a heavy slot if you really want to.

An interesting comparison would be 2 Wyverns vs 1 LR Eradicator, which is another dedicated anti infantry tank.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Depends how many Russes you feel like fielding. An AV14 wall actually looks pretty feasible with the right supporting units.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
You shouldn't ever really be using Tank Commanders. They can only issue orders to their squadron, IIRC, and cost so damn much. They're only there for rule of cool, but anything attempting competitiveness shouldn't really be concerned with that.
I think that Pask is extremely viable, and Tank Commanders in general are still quite good (at least at this early stage). AV14 is pretty good for your Warlord, he boosts his tank's effectiveness quite nicely (mainly the dakka ones rather than the blasty ones, but since they're all so much cheaper while the Battle Tank remained the same price I guess that's what your were gunning for anyway), and if you don't need the infantry orders that much (if you're running a super Blob Squad with Priest and Inquisitor, for example), you could do a lot worse than the Tank Commanders.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have used wyverns against bezerkers and cultists.

Suffice to say I will be using them a lot. The reroll on hit and wounds mean even power armour can't make that many saves.
As with everything in the guard though, its all about the support

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Tbh I overlooked the Wyverns at first...But yeah, looking at them again, they seem to fulfill the same role as my griffons used too, but arguably better (and cheaper), since they re-roll to hit like the griffon, yet also re-roll to wound and fire twice as much. Not AP4, but meh, they ignore cover and re-roll to wound so will probably kill more than a griffon anyway.

Just need to work out how to convert a cheapish Wyvern turret and swap out my griffon mortars and colussus cannons (thankfully magnetised them! So no loss there) on my numerous chimera chasis. Job done. Would probably run them in 2's, no more. Probably best in lower points games where I can't squeeze in higher priced artillery or many Russ's. Definitely good against backfield cultists, horde armies, if you don't mind list tailoring.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Tbh I overlooked the Wyverns at first...But yeah, looking at them again, they seem to fulfill the same role as my griffons used too, but arguably better (and cheaper), since they re-roll to hit like the griffon, yet also re-roll to wound and fire twice as much. Not AP4, but meh, they ignore cover and re-roll to wound so will probably kill more than a griffon anyway.
The loss is that you can't snipe out models with them and the AP is worse, as well as the obvious prohibitor of Line of Sight, but the Wyvern's guns are probably superior in simple damage output.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
as well as the obvious prohibitor of Line of Sight
Ah yes. I think that is quite a major problem actually. I wont be able to just dump a squadron in cover and not have to worry about LOS, which may leave them exposed or waste turns not shooting at all if terrain is BLOB heavy. Will have to think about this as I think they are probably being overhyped.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crazy question - why are you guys saying it can't shoot out of LoS? P34 of my basic rule book says all barrage weapons can fire indirectly. Is there an exception somewhere I'm missing?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On page 62 of the Codex, the armory description of Stormshard Mortar says it is barrage, as does the reference chart at the back of my book, as does page 22 of the White Dwarf which discusses the Wyvern. Are the English language books printed in NA printed at the same place as for Europe and Australia/NZ?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
On page 62 of the Codex, the armory description of Stormshard Mortar says it is barrage, as does the reference chart at the back of my book, as does page 22 of the White Dwarf which discusses the Wyvern. Are the English language books printed in NA printed at the same place as for Europe and Australia/NZ?
Yup. British spellings any everything. And I just looked, the Stormshard Mortar is barrage in the physical book.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts