Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or does the Redemptionist Gang bare a slight resemblance to the KKK?

·
Registered
190 Posts
esp if you paint them all in white lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
well from what i remember they were meant to be them anyway just given a 40k spin

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
That was my first reaction when I saw them! What were they thinking???

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think it's supposed to be KKK but more of a weird historical religious thing. :D

The had helmets like that in the old 2000ad Torquemada comic strips so it's probably one of those obscure ye olde days things.
I heard at one point in history everyone had to wear hats or caps because they thought the devil could get in through the top of your head so it could be a reference to something like that.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Is it me or does the Redemptionist Gang bare a slight resemblance to the KKK?
so does most of the entire imperial belief system, but nobody has complained yet, heck I've even seen a cloured player paint his redemptionist gang white as a joke....although they were banned from the store.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am pretty sure that the whole point hat thing comes from Catholicism. Something to do with the taller your hat, the closer you are to God.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In the early years of the 16th century, to combat the rising tide of religious unorthodoxy, the Pope gave Cardinal Ximinez of Spain leave to move without let or hindrance throughout the land, in a reign of violence, terror and torture that makes a smashing film. This was the Spanish Inquisition...

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Keep in mind two factors.
1. The Redemptionists have a lot in common with the KKK, except instead of hating people with dark skin or homosexual tendencies, they hate people with scaled skin, tentacles, and heretical tendencies.
2. The KKK never were as successful in England, so when the models were being designed, I'm sure the image of the KKK as the poster-children of hatred crossed their minds and influenced the designs, they didn't have the immediate revulsion that most Americans would at the thought of using them as an inspiration in a game. There isn't the same history and culture to create that immediate reaction, in the same way that Americans don't react the same way to images of Guy Fawkes, for example.

·
Registered
736 Posts
as others have pointed out the KKK don't have dibs on the conical hat. in fact, it hasn't always been a part of their uniform, and was almost certainly adopted to mimic the conical hats used in various uniforms within the Catholic church in Spain (which is vaguely amusing as the KKK were and are vehemently anti-catholic).

the connection between the tallness of one's hat and their relationship to God is not a direct as one poster suggested; pointed hats have always (within the Catholic world) been seen as a sign of humilation (hence the dunce's cap) and they are traditional the garb of those being punished by the church as well as flagellents and those seeking to make themselves more humble. and as humility is connected to godliness in the Catholic mind you could argue that the taller a persons hat, the more humble they were and thus closer to God they were. though if you were ever to ask someone if they thought they were the most humble, by definition they should say 'no' or be proved to have not really understood the question.

the pointed hat is still widely used in Holy Week celebrations in various places in Spain. you need only google Nazarenos (the priests that wear the garb) to see plenty of people dressed very similarly to the KKK that have absolutely nothing to do racist organisation.

i don't doubt though that the KKK were a big influence on the design of the Redemptionists (and the 2000AD characters that inspired them) but i think it was only in the sense of an archetype of supposed religious zeal that seems a lot more like biogotry and benevolent love.

·
Registered
247 Posts
thats a good point i have never seen any gaurd units painted anything but...white..considering all the flesh related colours are white as well...wtf!
is everyone in the future white or grey? even though we're supposed to all supposed to become a strange sandy colour in the nest few hundred years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure on my info but aren't the salamanders portrayed as being mostly dark skinned and they also show some catachans as being dark skinned too.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont hink the catachans were but Salamanders famously had their gene seed changed because of their home planet's, Nocturne, atmosphere which caused them to have jet-black skin which was so terrible to behld many rebellions where put down without a single shot being fired

·
Registered
736 Posts
this hobby as a whole has always been disappointly biased towards whites and white interests. pretty much all the factions are based on European archetypes and those few that aren't, are heavily anglecised. occasionally hobbiest will try and buck the trend by painting their miniatures differently, but unfortunetly this is only skin deep. the simple truth is that GW have never released a sculpt of a black man or woman. in fact the only non-white sculpts i can think of have been stereotypes (like mongols with fu-manchu mustaches).

now, please hear me, i'm not suggesting that GW is racist, just that there have never attempted to broaden the ethnicity of gaming systems. but then is it any wonder they have never tried? can anyone name me a non-white member of the design team either current or past? i doubt there is anyone there to fight for that sort of thing, or even recognise that it might be an issue. remember though that GW's design team is primarily recruited from its own talented fans; so a lack of non-white designers is directly related to the wider hobby community as a whole. for example, i live in probably the most ethnically diverse city in England, and i would struggle to think of more than 5 regular gamers at my local GW that were non-white. it has been the same story in every place i've lived though. i don't know exactly what its like in the US, my guess is that it would be slightly better than the UK, but only amoungst very westernised groups of non-white.

it has created something of a vicious circle: the game's original core market was predominately white, so the product is made with white interests. this, of course, appeals to more white people, making the market even more white and thus fuelling an even more white-focused product.

so does the hobby really only appeal to white people? is there something intrinsically in our DNA that predisposses us to liking or disliking playing with little toy soldiers? if GW were to create greater ethnic diversity within their games would they be able to finally capture the attention of non-white markets both at home and abroad? these are questions i would find very hard to answer. logic and morality says one thing, but experience and evidence says another.

·
Registered
349 Posts
it has created something of a vicious circle: the game's original core market was predominately white, so the product is made with white interests. this, of course, appeals to more white people, making the market even more white and thus fuelling an even more white-focused product.
I've only seen a handful of non-white gamers over here in the US (most of them being of Asian descent), so I think it is more an issue of predisposition than anything. I know that sounds slightly racist, but that's not my intent. On the subject of attempting to reach-out to a non-caucasian customer base, when the X-Men first started, all the team members (Professor X, Cyclopse, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast and Ice Man) were white. In an effort to broaden their market in the seventies, Marvel added international characters such as Storm (Africa), Colossus (Russia) and Nightcrawler (German, still white, but I guess they needed to expand there). Unfortunately, Africa, Russia and the other countries they tried to expand to didn't have a large base of comic book readers and so they never saw the sales increases they hoped for.
I think GW (and perhaps tabletop gaming in general) is rooted in Europe and the US. The only other geographic areas I've heard mentioned on forums are Australia, New Zealand and Japan. I'd be interested to see some statistics on wargaming and geography. It may be that there simply isn't the market outside of the demographic GW is already reaching to.

On the other hand, I don't think there's anything stopping people from painting their minis whatever skin colour they want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts