Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Pretty happy with how my Blood Angels have been coming on since I started collecting again and painting properly for the first time. The one area which I'm still not on with, is painting names etc onto the scrolls, parchment seen on the models shoulder pads, greaves, helmets etc.

I've tried writing them out with a brush on practice bits of sprue, but I just cannot get the lines fine enough to write out any names, no matter how short a word I go for. All just blurs together or smudges together.

Others have mentioned literally writing them on with a micro pen or using a pencil dipped in ink. I can't see a pencil being fine enough whilst at the same time allowing paint to run off it properly. As for micro pens, I don't want to go out and buy one or get one online, only to find the type of ink won't transfer onto the paint/plastic.

So thoughts? How do you guys go about it?

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
No problem, always trying to pay what knowledge I have garnered from membership in this forum forward :drinks:

I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed. I know that this is a little different than the outcome you're looking for, but this purity seal was my first ever attempt (I never practice anything aside from on models I'm working on) at making marks with it.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I found that runic script was easiest to achieve a good effect with using these - swap round edges for chevron edges, so that you end up with something like this:

I prefer 0.05mm width pens, but i daresay if you can find finer it will do better.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It's worth mentioning that the terrible looking SANG on the backpack was an attempt at writing with a paint brush without much respect for what would fit there. It's something much nicer now....maybe BAAL. Gotta dust that model off for a match I have tomorrow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts