Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
It also has only a 3+ armour save and no invul in a game where practically every model over 20 points has one. But we shall brush over them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
it also freezes one sixth of the time unless you have a 25 or more pt model within range of it, and it only moves 6 a turn if you are shooting

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Still, gotta admire his enthusiasm.

Wraithlords are in fact good. Not great or awesome but good none the less. Especially for lower point games.

They have the best BS of anything that can fire a Bright Lance, shouldn't ever be twin-linked but that is still saying something.

They are also typically quite cost effective, once again especially in lower point games.

They also have a very high "cool factor" that help attract new players to Eldar, which I always appreciate.

---

They did get hit pretty hard with the sheer amount of poison, rending, and anti tank guns out there nowadays. They also don't get very many attacks in CC (2 base), and only have 3 wounds each. Now, there are only a few other MC's with only 3 wounds. None of them are T8 but most of them have at least 4 attacks base. (just 3 for Mycetic Spores and D6 for Talos). They all can be considered quicker than the Wraithlord with their DS options, ignore passing through Difficult Terrain, etc... Most of these 3 Wound MC's are the same cost or cheaper than the Wraithlord as well.

What you are paying for is really the high toughness. The trouble is too many things can get by that, especially these days. However, in lower point games you are less likely to see as many of these type threats so a Wraithlord can still shine a little there.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Wraithlords always scare people in 500 point games. FACT.

I prefer the anti-tank wriathlord build (That will be bright lance and missile launcher with 2 flamers since they are soooooo much better than the shurikats)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wraithlords always scare people in 500 point games. FACT.

I prefer the anti-tank wriathlord build (That will be bright lance and missile launcher with 2 flamers since they are soooooo much better than the shurikats)
ya know what scares people more then a wraithlord in a 500 point game?

TWO WRAITHLORDS IN A 500 POINT GAME! (which im pretty sure is possible o.o)

·
Registered
384 Posts
the way I see it take the wraihlord if you want something that can move 6" and shoot two heavy weapons and have str 10 when he gets into close combat

take warwalkers if you want something that can make a scount move and can hold two rocket launchers offering 6 blast plates per 3 walker unit.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Or take neither and count on power of fire prisms, fire dragons in serpents or falcons and other units (scorps with biting blade, harlies with melta pistols, seer councils with withcblades, swooping hawks, certain autarch builds, shining spears on the charge, avatar and my favorite lucky pathfinder shooting to name some examples)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sure, T8 is very nice, but I'm afraid they will be cycling out of everyone's lists (at least, for a while). The new dark eldar codex is out and gaining people over to the side of our dark cousins, which unfortunatly, all of their lists have at least 2 squads with poison (either in guns or in CC). So keep that lord stashed away till the dark eldar fan phase calms down.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In larger point games, I find running 3 WLs up the middle of the board (or wherever it would hurt your opponent the most) with a 10 man squad of WG with a spiritseer using conceal or enhance or even embolden in front of the WLs turns out to be quite effective and worth the sacrifice of the Fire Prisms. I've done it in 2k pt games against Tau and IG and with the WGs providing a 4+ cover save and, if placed right, no possible way for your opponent to get into melee with the WLs, the squad took minimal damage.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
But... wouldn't you rather field good units? :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts