Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

81 - 100 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
They've grown up past the stage of squatting armies I think. Kislev hasn't existed as a true since 5th edition, or maybe even 4th, while Dogs of War lasted until Ravening Hordes 5th>6th transition. The Storm of Chaos 6th edition campaign has pretty much only removed the Slayer Army options - the Goblin Hewer and the Doomseekers being the few with dedicated, now unusable models (although still available as unit fillers and an Organ Gun counts as). Others had to be converted - Merwyrm, Anointed of Slaanesh etc, so GW don't really care about that.

Since then, there have been only non-model units dropped, and others added (e.g Troglodytes, Warshrines etc). They are not going to invest thousands (£325K for a land raider sized plastic kit, $500K+) in moulds of new kits, simply so that they'll drop it next.

There has been a large number of 40K-style 6th/7th edition changes brought over - such as encouraging big centrepiece units at all levels (before, big monsters were usually over points limits allowed - usually requiring 2K minimum to play games, now with 50% lords, and combined profiles (presumably something that will carry over into next edition), they are a lot more resilient), Obstacles are gaining rules similar to fortifications - hopefully being able to purchase defenses makes them more a part of the army, Summoning Spells (originally in Storm of Magic, it didn't go down too well due to Storm of Magic being a piece of shit - now we have Raise Dead spells, and Reign of Chaos which summons Daemons and Heralds).

These are as game changing as 6th edition beastmen's ambush rule, and are a testing bed, a Beta test if you want, as I see it. This allows them to say "oh that was an End Times "Campaign" specific rule"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
These are as game changing as 6th edition beastmen's ambush rule, and are a testing bed, a Beta test if you want, as I see it. This allows them to say "oh that was an End Times "Campaign" specific rule"
Soooo...it's safe to go ahead and tell my Catholic side of the family to get me warhammer stuff, it won't be just cool retro minis in a year or 2.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
If I'm wrong tell them I'm a protestant and all my words were lies from the devil worshippers. Got to admit, I'm not entirely sure over the role of models like Glottkin and Nagash, as those are entirely new levels and size of character models (Nagash is 20cm + tall) - roughly about 2/3rds of a wraithknight, or slightly smaller than a GW Knight-Titan if that helps - something that's brand new to warhammer - and yet the latter is in 40K.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
If I'm wrong tell them I'm a protestant and all my words were lies from the devil worshippers. Got to admit, I'm not entirely sure over the role of models like Glottkin and Nagash, as those are entirely new levels and size of character models (Nagash is 20cm + tall) - roughly about 2/3rds of a wraithknight, or slightly smaller than a GW Knight-Titan if that helps - something that's brand new to warhammer - and yet the latter is in 40K.
Don't worry my Catholic side of the family is very open.....the mormon side......lets just say there is a reason I generally have 2 Christmas lists, and it's not cuz I have 2 Christmases. So I'm taking that has there's a high chance there's going to be a 9th (?) ed.

Also what date does the end time 'start'?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
IC2522 is the year in which Nagash rises, IIRC. 2523 in the following year is the Glottkin, Nurgle Lieutenants of Archaon speeding down into the Empire to weaken it in preparation for Chaos to attack Nagash. Despite the Game of Thrones-esque kill count of named characters, there are several "killed" characters - namely Grom the Paunch, Azhag the Slaughterer, Gorbad Ironclaw, Vlad, and Isabella already existing in Fantasy before the end times.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
IC2522 is the year in which Nagash rises, IIRC. 2523 in the following year is the Glottkin, Nurgle Lieutenants of Archaon speeding down into the Empire to weaken it in preparation for Chaos to attack Nagash. Despite the Game of Thrones-esque kill count of named characters, there are several "killed" characters - namely Grom the Paunch, Azhag the Slaughterer, Gorbad Ironclaw, Vlad, and Isabella already existing in Fantasy before the end times.
A GoT kill count is under stating, from what I've read so far the number of Characters killed out numbers those of the main chars. THough if you add in the supporting chars then......yeah I think the only thing that would get close to a kill count of got is the Bible.

Book 1:1
Book 2:3
Book 3:1
Book 4:1....maybe 2

This is counting net changes.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I think you need to recount those who were killed in the books. Pretty much anyone who is anyone has been killed or ascended and entire countries that have survived for the last 30 years of writing in near unchanged status has been changed.

It is like hearing in 30k that Ultramar has been destroyed, Cadia has been hit by the Planet Killer, and that the Chaos Legions are knocking on terras door - only that the still living Primarchs have returned, and Abaddon has been changed into Horus Reborn at the expense of guillimans life following ultramar.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
It is like hearing in 30k that Ultramar has been destroyed, Cadia has been hit by the Planet Killer, and that the Chaos Legions are knocking on terras door - only that the still living Primarchs have returned, and Abaddon has been changed into Horus Reborn at the expense of guillimans life following ultramar.
That is.... A surprisingly accurate comparison!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
makes me wonder if they have taken a page from Game of Thrones.
Again end times has passed GoT, books, though alot of the main characters are dead their kingdoms are still in existence. While in End Times Like Vaz said.......shit has gone to shit in a hand basket with a nurgling holding a void missile....how it got a void missile in WFB and in a basket I have no clue....but CHAOS GODS!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Which Von Carstein is going to survive do you think? I prefer Vlad tbh, at least he has humour and a sense of his limits, Mannfred is to arrogant and idiotic.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
'Hi, my name is Vlad, lets lick the essence of Chaos off my sword' you mean?

I can see Vlad attempting to destroy Nagash, as he realises that he will never see Isabella again (because of course Nagash is going to give up his 'loyalty card' with Vlad).

Abhorash is sitting pretty, and there is fanwishing that he is the immortal dragon emperor of Cathay (conspicuous in absence of mention), but I can't see that. Mannfred is too inthrall to the will of Nagash, and to throw the 'I am your father' trope, will side with Nagass, but is kille by Vlad,,but Vlad is killed by Nagash/Arkhan. I think that now vampires turning to Chaos is a thing, ever resilient Vlad will become one with Nurgle, who will raise Issy. Maybe Khorne/Slaanesh brings back Konrad (conspicuous in absense again).

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I wish they'd introduce a Strigoi figure, I mean it would be cool if after all this a prominent strigoi figure rises to take advantage of the power vacuum from all the deaths that have occurred and yet to happen.

I don't mind some blurring of the lines, but to much of vampires turning to chaos, empire/elves ending up with vampire counts etc is to much, at the moment we already have a female elf vampire, the former supreme wizard becoming a necromancer, a khorne blood dragon vampire and maybe even a chaos tomb king. I figure some elves will switch sides soon to.

I dunno its getting a bit over the top, there's so much going on atm that apart from getting the books it's putting me off buying any fantasy as I dunno what the hell is going to happen and once the series ends we'll have to deal with the outcome.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
'Hi, my name is Vlad, lets lick the essence of Chaos off my sword' you mean?
I think that Vlad will survive and that Mannfred is doomed. The reason? Mannfred thought that resurrecting Nagash was a good idea and that he'd be able to control him...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive

And Vlad only licked Otto's blood as a reflex action because that is how he feeds all the time, Vlad never takes from the vein, he kills his prey and then licks the blood from his blade. A simple reflex action that nearly cost him his unlife.

LotN

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
And Vlad only licked Otto's blood as a reflex action because that is how he feeds all the time, Vlad never takes from the vein, he kills his prey and then licks the blood from his blade. A simple reflex action that nearly cost him his unlife.

LotN
That reminds me from Billy and Mandy "Dracula don't suck Dracula scrapes then licks. Scrape then lick." I think I smell innuendo there.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Konrad wasn't that powerful, just insane, he had to use loads of necromancers cause his vampiric powers were weak, he eventually had his head cut off by the Count of Marienburg after being held down by a Dwarf Thane. As far as I recall Vlad only failed before because the Grand Theogonist threw himself and Vlad off the Altdorf walls impaling them both on the spikes below.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Eh, Vlad - took 10 years to secure his position, sent parties to recover Warpstone, began the Vampire Wars.

Fought at Essen Ford, defeated an army of Talabecland, lost his head to the Empire General despite being captured - returned later by virtue of his ring. Went to Middenheim - battle of Schwartzhafen - killed by Jerek Kruger. Returned later by virtue of his ring - but couldn't attack Middenheim, so left them to their own devices in the city. "Ravaged" Middenland, to make more zombies. Attacked Hochland and Ostland - but was killed at Bluthof again - again came back due to his ring. Bogenhafen Bridge, was killed again by a Cannonball. Returned once more - attacked Altdorf, had his ring stolen, attacked, was killed, risen by Nagash, but now somehow has his ring again.

Killed on 5 different occasions. Destroyed 3, maybe 4 provinces.

Konrad - attacked Nuln/Wissenland, Averland, plus the Moot, recruited the Blood Knights, Destroyed Zhufbar, attacked by the combined forces of the Empire's claimants outside Middenheim (to get there, that's Talabecland, Stirland as well), and fought at Grim Moor - back in Sylvania.

That's 5-6 Provinces destroyed.

In terms of damage done, Konrad is inevitably the more dangerous one. His problem was that he wasn't the thinking kind, as was a bit insane.

This is where Nagash comes in. Nagash does the thinking, Konrad does the killing and leading. Raising undead? Not a problem. Not only is the land saturated with the risen dead, but those who are bound to Nagash's will can fill the same role. Konrad, with Nagash is more dangerous than Vlad with Nagash - mainly because Vlad is too clever (despite licking a plague-blood sword) to see what's going on.

81 - 100 of 178 Posts