Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if anyone is paying attention to the price of the new battalion boxes coming next month? Wow, they are now retailing for over 100.00 dollars. I've not been one to complain about the consistently growing price for my favorite hobby, but I must admit that I'm now convinced that its time to sell off some miniatures. I have been a long time collector and painter, certainly more so than a gamer, and I now believe that as a working professional (and not a real frugal person at that) I can no longer afford this habit. For years White Dwarf was six dollars per issue---then three years ago it went to eight, then last year to nine. I'm beginning to believe that GW is simply trying to become a close community game, because it certainly offers little for the average working class fellow. So, I think I'm going to be relegated to a boxset collector from now on. Yeah, I know what your thinking, "hell, if your going to keep playing, quit bitching". Your right, I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting rather ashamed at how much you (have to) spend on average for this hobby? I wouldn't be able to imagine the amount to stay competitive on the tournament scene, needless to say, which has always been out of my reach financially.

Anyway, I'm not sure that this is the place for such a diatribe. Feel free to it move moderators. I just was anxious about jumping on their website this afternoon and see the upcoming High Elves, but when I saw that they are releasing the new plastic Phoenix guard at over forty dollars for only x10 miniatures. It seems to me that GW is running warhammer into the camp of those with the most money have the most competitive army...not my idea of hip.

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
um dude they have been over 100 for over a year....currently they go for 108.00 or 130.00 depending on the box set.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Um.... You may want to check your currency. They range from $90-$105, US.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I am aware you were talking Canadian, but he wasn't. Lol and yeah, you are- by a large margin. Oh well, sucks to be you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
for me, the price of GW items has always been relative to the enjoyment derived from said items...

for example - i bought a regiment of Skaven Stormvermin at the start of August [for 30 of our british pounds], and proceeded to spend maybe 1-2hrs a night over the last month or so painting them, and enjoying every minute of it.

compare this to the cost of a new xbox game [35-40], or a new dvd / blu-ray [10-20], and the relative levels / period of enjoyment and satisfaction that those items provide me, i'd say the value for money of GW miniatures is on a par...and therefore not outrageously expensive, for what are essentially luxury recreational products.

and that's not even taking into consideration the cost of producing those figures, from conceptual design through to a finished product...

i think the new HE sets are pretty well priced, and the models are rather sweet too! just my 2 cents [or should that be pence? :grin:]

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Yeah over here the phoenix guard currently stand at 5 metals for $43 AUS, by the looks of things 10 phoenix guard in plastic will be around the same price = win on AUS's behalf

·
Registered
446 Posts
As my spending on the hobby is restricted to the amount I can make via painting them it doesn't bother me too much. I'm not really sure about why they are doing it except trying to milk the market for money. If anything I would expect marines to skyrocket as the demand is likely to rise with the new movie/game thats coming out. Meh, trying to rationalize GW is like trying to predict Chaos, aint gonna happen.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I aus we pay $142 us for a battleforce,($155AUD) With current exchange rates. I see little cause for your complaint.

·
Registered
289 Posts
GW games have always been expensive, and the cost of shipping is factored into your prices. It costs a lot of money to send anything down under. As a canadian I know I get screwed on the price. But the thing is, I pay the money for a chance to spend time with my friends. The other thing to consider is that new technologies cost money. I don't know if you've seen the IoB minis up close, but they're amazing! I remember buying dark eldar when the 3rd edition set came out. They looked awesome then.... I'll pay more money for kick ass models!

Truth be told, once you have 1 army you really don't need to buy more kits. Or ebay it... I'll keep paying the money and keep getting new, better models.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The real trick with Fantasy and 40k is what was mentioned previously: get one army. Once you have collected a certain amount, you shouldn't need any more stuff except to maybe fill holes created by new codexes, or round out numbers. Few people are ever going to collect a whole chapter or whatever, so the price to maintain your hobby after the initial expenditure is actually pretty low.

I play a CCG as my main hobby, and that costs me a few hundred dollars every 3-4 months just to be able to play at a tournament level. With 40k, I haven't made a few hundred dollars in purchases yet this year and I play at a tournament level.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I was fealing the crunch untill recently, I've always wanted to move into REALLY big hoard armies (with conscripts) but the price just wasnt letting me do it. Then I stumbled purely by chance on 1/40 WW1 americans, 13 to a box for $14.50, and even if they look a little scrawny its certainly possible to pass them off as child conscripts (ala the whiteshields) add Tanks for 32.00, and the imperial guard looks like its in for a big boost on my end.

The moral: GW gouges, dont buy GW.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Bitching about GW prices is relative, depending on where you liveand who you buy from. In Aus we pay through the nose for retail, but if people actually pay retail, for their major purchases anyway, then they're throwing money away as far as I'm concerned. Small purchases are fine for incidentals and to show loyalty etc, but not big ticket stuff.

I recently spent A$275 on IG Kits and saved A$150 by buying them from The Warstore, so in Pounds (£), and that included Postage. That saving is based on an already discounted price from an Australian Discount Store so based on full retail from GW Aus I saved A$250..almost half price.

So GW Products are cheap at the moment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are all right, entertainment is a luxury and the only 'worst' in it is as much as we want more 'stuff'. If one were to stick to one army per game, it is not as bad. Also, the newer technology certainly build better miniatures and I love that. The fluff is better than ever, GW does a better job at distribution internationally, and regionally for that matter. So, maybe I got a piece of sand in my crack, seeing how I'm feverishly painting up a 1k ork army as we speak. Another stress has been our economy here in Kentucky. My other feeling is that all of those 'services' are taking a toll on my hobby and GW is certainly feeling pressure of expansion and stock holders. All told, everyone is right, it has always been a relatively expensive hobby and they (GW) are producing grand products. Its good to see some discourse about this though.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I have seen no changes since I got into the hobby...

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Bitching about GW prices is relative, depending on where you liveand who you buy from. In Aus we pay through the nose for retail, but if people actually pay retail, for their major purchases anyway, then they're throwing money away as far as I'm concerned. Small purchases are fine for incidentals and to show loyalty etc, but not big ticket stuff.

I recently spent A$275 on IG Kits and saved A$150 by buying them from The Warstore, so in Pounds (£), and that included Postage. That saving is based on an already discounted price from an Australian Discount Store so based on full retail from GW Aus I saved A$250..almost half price.

So GW Products are cheap at the moment.
QFT. I buy all my kits from Wayland Games these days. The only things I buy from GW are paints, WD, codexes and BL novels.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I think it does take the piss somewhat that moving from metal to plastic for the new Elf elites only saves you about £5... what happened to plastic being cheaper than metal?

I just buy everything except paints from ebay now anyway, so frankly GW can charge whatever they like because I'm happy paying 50% or less of it plus the time involved to repaint the models.

It still isn't as much of a rip off as the cinema though... £10 per ticket? For the quality of movies being released now? Yeah, right.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts