Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with someone who hasn't played since 3rd or 4th, and I've only started playing with 6th edition. So, I'm not 100% confident in the rules just yet. The most question we run across is with armor saves and invuln saves. So here's the main question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to:

Do you get both your armor save and invuln save? (i.e. Standard termie fails his armor save, does he still gets to roll his invuln save?)

And as a secondary question, what saves would a model get in the following setup: Standard terminator with storm shield in a unit with an apothecary.

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you get both your armor save and invuln save? (i.e. Standard termie fails his armor save, does he still gets to roll his invuln save?)

No. You only get the best one available. In the case of the termie, it's usually the 2+ armor. If its hit with an AP1-2 or anything else that negates armor, then it can fall back onto its invuln

And as a secondary question, what saves would a model get in the following setup: Standard terminator with storm shield in a unit with an apothecary.

Normal as above, Except if it fails to save against a non-instant-death wound, it will get the feel no pain roll

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've been playing with someone who hasn't played since 3rd or 4th, and I've only started playing with 6th edition. So, I'm not 100% confident in the rules just yet. The most question we run across is with armor saves and invuln saves. So here's the main question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to:

Thank you for any help!
1: If you have multiple saves, like a termie, you only get to use one save and it is always has to be the best one. So if the Termie is wounded by a standard bolter, he uses his 2+ armor save, but if he is wounded by a Lascannon, he uses his invuln save.

2: Storm Shield provides a 3++ invuln save, terminator armor gives a 2+ armor save and apthecaries provide a 5+ feel no pain save for the unit. Feel no Pain is take after you fail an armor/invuln/cover save.

So if the termie fails either his invuln or armor save, he gets a chance to ignore the wound with a 5+ FnP save as long as there is an Apothecary in the unit. If he fails that though, he dies.

Edit: Ninja'd

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1: If you have multiple saves, like a termie, you only get to use one save and it is always has to be the best one. So if the Termie is wounded by a standard bolter, he uses his 2+ armor save, but if he is wounded by a Lascannon, he uses his invuln save.

2: Storm Shield provides a 3++ invuln save, terminator armor gives a 2+ armor save and apthecaries provide a 5+ feel no pain save for the unit. Feel no Pain is take after you fail an armor/invuln/cover save.

So if the termie fails either his invuln or armor save, he gets a chance to ignore the wound with a 5+ FnP save as long as there is an Apothecary in the unit. If he fails that though, he dies.

Edit: Ninja'd
Alright, thank you guys for helping clear that up. Now, I've seen reference to a X++ invuln save, but I could never figure out what that means.

And a question for the "If he fails that though he dies." Does that mean that he dies if he fails a FnP save even if he has multiple wounds?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Alright, thank you guys for helping clear that up. Now, I've seen reference to a X++ invuln save, but I could never figure out what that means.

And a question for the "If he fails that though he dies." Does that mean that he dies if he fails a FnP save even if he has multiple wounds?
No, if it's a multi-wound character, he just loses the wound (unless it was his last one, in that case he dies). I was assuming the standard single wound terminators.

As Greyheed said though, FnP saves can't be taken if they inflict instant death, so attacks that are double your toughness or have the instant death rule negate it.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
I understand what a 3+ invul save means, but what does a 3++ invul save mean?
Invulnerable saves are often written X++ to distinguish them from armour saves which are written X+. This is especially common if not writing out what type of save it is. For example, a unit with both might be described as having a 3+/4++ save meaning it has both a 3+ armour save and a 4+ invulnerable save.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts