Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing for a while now, but this one kinda just jumped out at me today when reading the rule book. For allocating wounds to a "complex" squad where models have different weapons, how does it work exactly? He's my example to work with:

5-man Marine Assault Squad. 1 Sgt has a power weapon and normal marine has a meltagun. You take 4 wounds. So I have to put a wound on each model and roll a save for the one for the melta gun individual from the other 3 bolter marines? Or can I just roll all 4 wounds, and if I fail one of them, just take off one of the bolters marines? Same if I took 5 wounds, I would roll for the Sgt and the Melta individually, then roll 3 at once for the remainder, or roll all 5, say I fail 3 saves, and just take all 3 bolters, leaving my Sgt and Melta good to go?

A basic corner stone of the game and I think I've been doing it wrong, for a long time, lol.

·
Registered
468 Posts
it gets even more complex in CC when you have several different I values :D

but for your example, you have 4 wounds to allocate, with 5 models the sgt and the melta marine both are unique but the 3 bolter marines all have the exact same equipment.

So you allocate 3 wounds onto each of the 3 bolter marines and then choose to allocate a wound to the melta or sgt. The bolters are rolled together and the sgt/melta is rolled seperate.

That was a very simple example, it get more complex as i said in CC with different I and when being shot at with different AP's.

For a simple example imagine your squad takes 6 wounds total, 4 from bolters and 2 from plasma. Now usualy this would mean 2 marines dead from plasma HOWEVER! if you allocate 3 bolter wounds to your bolter marines, 1 bolter wound to your melta marine and 1 plasma wound to your sgt you now have 1 plasma wound to allocate. Because all other models already have 1 wound allocated you may choose where that last wound is placed so you can put it on your sgt. By doing this you have negated a wound that would have killed a 2nd marine.

I hope i explained that well enough...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, ok. Yeah I think I've been doing that completely wrong then :-( I would roll say, 4-5 wounds, and would fail 2-3, and take off the bolter marines, always getting it so the Sgt and any wargear marine standing last. Well crap, lol, I guess I gotta watch out for that now.

For your example, could I put one plasma wound on one bolter marine, and then the four bolter wounds on everyone else so each model has 1 wound. Now with the extra one, put it on the bolter marine with the plasma wound to double it up that way? What would not allow me to do that, rules-wise that is?

·
Registered
468 Posts
because the bolter marines are equipped the same you would have to take off 2 bolter marines from the plasma wounds and still roll 3 saves for the last guy, but then if you fail 2 of those you only need to take off the last remaing bolter marine then roll the sgt and melta seperate.

Edit: ok just to clarify something, if you take 20 wounds from bolters on your squad you would need to allocate 4 wounds to each model, you would then have to roll 12 saves for the 3 bolter marines together, then the melta and sgt have 4 saves each to make.

It's kinda hard to describe in words. but here's a video that helps with the visualisation as it can get quite complex very quickly

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeastsOfWar#p/search/5/YlEN4MoTi28

Edit2: ok just 1 thing from that video, they could've quite easily placed 2 of those power weapon wounds onto either the flamer or ML marine and negated one of those power weapon wound ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.