Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping more experienced players of warhammer 40k can answer this question for me as i'm unsure on what the "offical" rules are.

If two units are locked in close combat, unit A and unit B. Lets say unit A causes 5 wounds on unit B. Can the player who controls unit B attempt to save the wounds caused on this unit on a speical or independant character who has a better armor save than the rest of the unit, IF the player controlling unit A did not specify that they were attacking the speical / independant character before attacks were resolved?

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Basically the rule is if the independent character isn't involved in a challenge where rules alter things.

So independent characters unless they are alone when they go into combat they count as part of the unit they joined for attacks resolution, close combat is done by closest model to closest model base. So if your independent character is in front hes gunna get punched.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It makes sense that an independant character would take wounds if they are in base contact, however my question is, can the controlling player choose to take the wounds caused on the independant character because they have a better armor save than the rest of the unit?

Secondly, what if the independant character has the same armor save as the unit he is attached too. Can the controlling player split the wounds between the unit and the independant character?

The reason i ask this question is because I find alot of players like to take the wounds on an independant character because they have a better save or usually they have multi wound characters which they would rather take a wound on than loose a model within a unit.

If i'm not specifically targeting the independant character in the unit, i dont see how the other player can nominate to take the wounds caused on one model? I could be wrong of course which is why i want to clear this up.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
If the independent character is in front of the unit when in combat wounds can be allocated to them, or to be more specific MUST be allocated to them if they are first in line its the same as shooting really, if your in front you take the hit But if your an independent character or a character at all you can "look out sir" to other models 4+/2+ respectively.

If you still have questions look at the pages 51-52 for the wound pool and allocation rules and page 166 in regards to characters or 100 for the rules for "look out sir' all in the Big Rule Book

hope that helps if not just wait one of the other heresy guys probably will pop in and help out maybe it s just the way I'm saying it.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
can the controlling player choose to take the wounds caused on the independant character because they have a better armor save than the rest of the unit?
Yes, so long as he is equidistantly the closest model to the incoming attacks. If there are multiple models in the combat and things get like they often do when moving models during the charge/pile in phases, my gaming group often just assumes everyone is in base-to-base contact until specific models with unique weapons from the rest of the group happen (which need to start with the closest enemy in B2B contact with said model).

Basically if your Independent Character is at the front of the combat OR if he and other models are all at the front you can elect for all wounds to fall on him before moving on.

Be careful though, since once you select a model to allocate wounds to you have to keep allocating them there until that model is removed or the wounds are all saved. The only way to mitigate this is through Look Out Sir, which passes off a wound (before saves are taken) to another model in the unit within 6" on a 2+ for Independent Characters and a 4+ for normal Characters.

Secondly, what if the independant character has the same armor save as the unit he is attached too. Can the controlling player split the wounds between the unit and the independant character?
He's a part of that unit, so not unless you play it like I described above with Look Out Sir. If there are multiple units in the combat then you can direct your attacks any which way you please.

If i'm not specifically targeting the independant character in the unit, i dont see how the other player can nominate to take the wounds caused on one model?
If that IC is a part of the unit, you're attacking that unit and not the IC specifically (unless you're fighting in a Challenge and they have accepted with that model of course). If in combat that IC is behind a bunch of models it cannot tank saves for the unit. If it's in front/equidistant with any number of friendly models in front then yes he can.

If you still have questions look at the pages 51-52 for the wound pool and allocation rules and page 166 in regards to characters or 100 for the rules for "look out sir' all in the Big Rule Book
Pretty sure that's where our OP's headache started.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts