Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an interesting question I am across last night. I had a quick look in the rules but could not find anything pertinent to it.

If you have a unit which is full of 2 wound models. One of these models has taken a wound. You are then in hand to hand combat and all models are in base to base contact with the enemy so they are all eligible to be wounded. You are then hit by an instant death weapon. This is the only wound caused in the combat. Can you take off the model that had suffered only a single wound or do you have to take off a model that has 2 full wounds left. All the models are the same regarding armaments and are not characters.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
You get to choose which model you allocate wounds too if there is a choice. Having previously lost a wound in a different phase doesn't matter, so yeh you can kill off the single wound guy.

Differences in wargear etc don't matter anymore

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
The way I see it, you would allocate it as any other wound, even though it's a instant death weapon. It just has a extra effect, be it Instant Death or otherwise.

I see no problem in putting the Instant Death wound on a model, with 1 wound left, in the case above.

EDIT: Damnit Magpie beat me while I typed! *Shakes fist*

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
The way I see it, you would allocate it as any other wound, even though it's a instant death weapon. It just has a extra effect, be it Instant Death or otherwise.

I see no problem in putting the Instant Death wound on a model, with 1 wound left, in the case above.

EDIT: Damnit Magpie beat me while I typed! *Shakes fist*
You done gotta be a might quicker on the draw 'roun har podner. *blows the smoke from the barrel*

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
well if they are all in base to base then it becomes random. i dont now where it states in the BRB but im sure it says you roll off when its too close to decide.

its how we do it in our little club.. that way its as fair as possible

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Yep. You get to choose where to allocate the wound. If, say, there was more than one wound caused and you passed some sort of save on the first, you would have to continue allocating wounds to that model until it died/the wound pool was exhausted, but otherwise yes, you get to choose which model in B2B takes the wound. This is excellent for multiple wound models that have taken some Overwatch injuries; they can allocate CC wounds to another model and possibly survive with more models able to continue to dish out attacks. (if the enemy attacks cause ID, it's obviously preferable to kill off the already-injured model, but...)

Also nice to move injured models back and uninjured forward, so that the rearward still get their attacks/shots/whatever. Juggling wounds between Obliterators and the like increases their survivability, and is the closest to wound allocation shenanigans we have left to us after the LOS! FAQs a while back. These are just general ruminations though, not pertinent to your question except tangentially, which Magpie has already (as expected) answered in full.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Being the guy dealing the wounds - cheers for clearing this up guys!

Not that it made much difference anyhoo, trying to kill 2 meganobs and Grotsnik in turn 7 with 1.5 tactical units and an innacurate Plasma Predator was nothing short of a long shot!

Hey Humakt, now we Know and Knowing is half the Battle!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
These are just general ruminations though, not pertinent to your question except tangentially, which Magpie has already (as expected) answered in full.
And as always your rumination takes us from my dry rules interpretation to some insightful tactical applications

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being the guy dealing the wounds - cheers for clearing this up guys!

Not that it made much difference anyhoo, trying to kill 2 meganobs and Grotsnik in turn 7 with 1.5 tactical units and an innacurate Plasma Predator was nothing short of a long shot!

Hey Humakt, now we Know and Knowing is half the Battle!
I just wanted to make sure going forward. I thought it was the case but your doubt made me wonder. And Grotsnik was way better than expected. All those 5's I kept rolling for saves did it :)

And thanks for the replies everybody.

·
Registered
287 Posts
well if they are all in base to base then it becomes random. i dont now where it states in the BRB but im sure it says you roll off when its too close to decide.

its how we do it in our little club.. that way its as fair as possible
The BRB specifically states the opposite. Wounds are allocated to the closest model first, and if more than one model is the closest the player taking the wounds chooses where they go.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Also nice to move injured models back and uninjured forward, so that the rearward still get their attacks/shots/whatever.
hmm...since consolidation moves can only me made to bring you into contact with enemy models and not out of contact with who you are with I don't think I follow this. Unless you are talking about shifting models from the front line to the back line so that in the shooting phase wounds come off the less damaged front models. Then that's nothin' but sweet jams.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Yeh Ntaw I took the "juggling" to take place between phases and/or combats, you can't really do it within a combat.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
If your wounded models get out of b2b due to enemy casualties you could move un-wounded models in to block their ability to get back into b2b.

Multiple wound models in CC can be a pain in the ass to deal with since you can spread out the wounds.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
That's only going to work in some pretty exceptional circumstances tho' where you have a wide variety of initiatives in the combat.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
hmm...since consolidation moves can only me made to bring you into contact with enemy models and not out of contact with who you are with I don't think I follow this. Unless you are talking about shifting models from the front line to the back line so that in the shooting phase wounds come off the less damaged front models. Then that's nothin' but sweet jams.
Yeah, meant shooting phase generally. Though like Klokk says, in my reading of the rules for combat, you can start allocating wounds to a different model each combat phase, so as long as you have fresh multi-wound models in B2B, wounded survivors can stick around. Useful in squads of, say, Flesh Hounds. Or Fiends. Or Oblits. Etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts