Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Hell yes. To say no to something like that is the kind of thing you regret on your deathbed.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Hmm not sure, all i can think of is A.I where there's the robot child and all his family grows old and dies around him. Eventually he's one of the only ones left as the world crumbles.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That depends. Is eternal youth part of the offer or am I simply going to turn into a millenia old geezer with a beard the length of the amazon river?

If eternal youth is included, I'm probably gonna say yes. If not, then I'd rather die an old man than live forever as one.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yep, seeing everything from now till ever why not? Be the chronicle for history telling the truth and you know I wanna see what happens!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Its something I've debated a lot... And it all really depends on circumstances.

As others have mentioned... Is eternal youth included in that? Afterall... who wants to be immortal, and end up looking like Yoda on a bad day, or being too frail to enjoy the wonders of the future?

Same goes with other methods of immortality... Joining in the 'singularity' as an AI construct? Being a ghost and able to possess people? I guess it all depends on the means of immortality... Afterall, while one person may love being an android, it may be hell for someone else.

Anyway, that aside.. assuming the means are something you'd be happy with... Would you really want to live long enough to watch everyone you ever loved or care about slowly fade away and die in what would be but the blink of an eye to you? Or would it be a blessing to be able to see what your great, great, great, great grandkids would become?

What if it was the Doctor Who effect, and you eventually became so old and wise you were seen as a threat with the entire universe against you at times?

While a simple yes or no may seem simple, theres a million what if's it comes with... If you really were immortal, would you be prepared for how your world and life would forever change?

Really, I think this quote kind of sums it up...

"I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice. "

Its only natural to wish for a longer life, but a never ending one? I'm not really sure I could answer that.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Providing eternal youth came with the package, then absolutely, cause as others have said, being an old cripple for eternity would be turbo shite.

But yeah, I would take it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of dying, I just don't want to. Mostly for the simple reason that I want to know how the future is going to look and what's going to happen. Just look at how far technology has come in the last decade, never mind the last century, just try and imagine how impossibly different the world will look in the year 5000.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
If some supreme being came up to you right now and offered you the opportunity to live forever. Be immortal. Would you?

Only you, not you and your mates, just you. Would you say yes or no?
Actually I would but with a twist.

I would give up my life and fortunes to be Death, the traditional Meet Joe Black or guy with the sickle Death. Think about it, all knowing all sensing, able to be anywhere all at once. I could pick and choose who goes and who stays, I could make it as peaceful or as horrible as I wanted, I would know everything someone has done and what they are going to do.

I could snatch the life from people right before they do dark and horrible things for dark and horrible reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts