Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just a quick background on my chaos army i used to play a few years ago as an iron warriors army and since i have come back to 40k the iron warriors army i have is pretty much totally illegal due to the fact that i can not use a basilisk anymore and obliterators are now a heavy support choice, so i was trying to make an army using as many of the models i have and only buying a few new ones to make a 1500 point list this is what i came up with:

HQ
155 Daemon prince, wings, MoS, LoS

140 Lord, pair of lightning claws,wings

ELITES
257 X7 Possessed,MoZ, Rhino

Troops
241 X7 Plague marines, champion upgrade, powerfist,flamer, rhino

241 X7 Plague marines, champion upgrade, powerfist,flamer, rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT

150 X2 Obliterators

150 X2 Obliterators

165 Predator, TL lascannon, side lascannons

1499 Total

like i say this is mainly what i have from my old army and all i will have to do is convert my marines into plague marines or just buy some plague marines, but would this list be any good in games just against friends and people in my local store, this is NOT for tornament use

let me know what you think or if theres any major flaws i should get rid of

edit: i should note that i don't mind losing a few games every now and again so long as i don't lose all of them i mainly play for fun

·
4,491 Posts
You need 3 Troops.
2 just isnt enough in 1500 points.

Id drop the Possessed for some more Plaguemarines, and try to get some Meltaguns in their squads.

Id drop the Lord for another Lash Prince, or seeing as it is a casual list consider a Nurgle Prince with Warptime (people dont really like Lash in friendly games), and use the points from the Lord for something like a Termicide squad.

Oh, and give Daemonic Possession to your LasPred too.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Iron Within! Iron Without! :)

Princes should come in pairs, so ditch the Lord. You don't need lash either. Prince should be kicking ass in combat with warp time or laying down wind of chaos and then assaulting, not fairying about with lash.

Ditch the Possessed and get another P.M choice, which btw needs meltas because you only have the Predator to pop armour along with the Obliterators.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Considering it's a lash list, you'd have alot more fun with 3 Vindicators :D

You want pie-plates to use Lash to it's full use, lash everything together and drop some pie-plates ontop of it. :DDDD

Like cheese said, Possessed aren't very good tbh, far too random, so your better off dropping them either for something like a Dread, or a troop choice!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hail,

Welcome back brother of Chaos! No your list is not totally useless.
Dropping the possessed for more plague marines would be strongly considered.

BFTBG!!

World Eater

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you're dead set on having a CC mob, drop the possessed for some Zerkers. Possessed cost too much and usually perform poorly compared to Zerkers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think at 1500 points two units of plague marines should be fine for you.. In a Seize ground game your other units will just have to be aggressive about clearing the objectives you hold but that shouldnt be too tough with your list..

As people have said already the possessed just kind of suck.. Nice models though.. Grab a pack of meltas from the GW website and use them as "Counts as.." chosen models.. This should give you a nice anti tank punch from which you can outflank and give the enemy some serious hell.

Also as suggested a Nurgle Prince with warptime is nearly always guaranteed to make back its points. The stubborn bugger just refuses to die whilst you fly it around the board making a mess of anything unlucky enough to get in its way..

I will be honest although I think 2 units of plague marines is enough I would be tempted to take the cheaper chosen i mentioned then ditch the second HQ in favour of more plague marines.. 3 units of plague marines in cover at an objective.. There are very few armies that can shift that kind of staying power at such a low points total..

Happy hunting..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
really honestly? i have to agree on the possessed, their just not worth their points value. what i would do though to limit the blow of having spent the money on them is do kinda as Hesky subjested and use them as a "counts as" unit. maybe turn them into a unit of mutated Khorne berzerkers? or plagues. doesn't have to be too extravigant. since this is meant to be a fun list, i would keep both the lord and the prince as is, but i think you'll want to get a unit of raptors eventually for the lord to role with. i'm afraid of how many times your opponent will be willing to give him a quick lascannon zap and instant kill him on you.

good luck to you in slaughtering the foes of chaos, Iron with in, Iron with out!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replys they all seem to be of the same oppinion that the possessed are rubbish, although i have heard that from many people not just ones on this forum, i can't help but think of a unit of S5 2 attack marines with a 4+ invunerable save shooting across the table being pretty good no matter what ability they get on the abilitys table roll they will take some killing, the lord on his own would get shot up no doubt about it but thats why he would go in the rhino and nail it across the table with the possessed and then when he gets there assault with or split off from them and assault something different if needs be.
Having said all that i have'nt spent anything on them so getting rid of the possessed is no problem i don't have the new models for them i have normal chaos marines converted to have demonic talons from the old dex when i used to play them so further conversion is no problem to make them a unit of chosen with meltas to outflank in, if i do that though i will have to either do as suggested and drop the lord for another prince with MoN and warptime or run him with a group of the plague marines instead else he will just get insta LC killed knowing my luck:hang1:

So from what i can gather from the comments I should be looking at something like this:

HQ

175 Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Warptime

ELITES
150 X5 Chosen, 5 Meltaguns, IoCG

Troops
279 X8 Plague marines, champion upgrade, powerfist,X2 melta guns, rhino

256 X7 Plague marines, champion upgrade, powerfist,X2 melta guns, rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT

150 X2 Obliterators

150 X2 Obliterators

185 Predator, TL lascannon, side lascannons,Daemonic Possession

1500 Total

let me know if this looks better from what you said about the last list

·
Registered
477 Posts
That new list is awesome.. Just a few minor tweak suggestions though..

HQ

ELITES
Swap a Meltagun for a Flamer (+5 Pts)Add in a Rhino to make this a true tank-hunter threat..(-35pts)
Troops
Remove 1 plague marine and change squad to 2xFlamers (+33 pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT

150 X2 Obliterators

150 X2 Obliterators

1500 Total
1497 New Total

Flamers work really well vs Nids/Orcs with Lash...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
yep, hesky was quicker on the draw. pretty much just going to say what he did. the only thing, chosen are a bit expensive for a "throw away" squad and i know alot of chaos players like this tactic. i just can't bring myself to build any kind of suicide squads as every point in our list is precious. as another point chosen cannot hold an objective. i think you'd be better off with a small plague squad sitting back to hold objectives whilst the other two surge forwards.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That new list is awesome.. Just a few minor tweak suggestions though..

HQ

ELITES
Swap a Meltagun for a Flamer (+5 Pts)Add in a Rhino to make this a true tank-hunter threat..(-35pts)
Troops
Remove 1 plague marine and change squad to 2xFlamers (+33 pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT

150 X2 Obliterators

150 X2 Obliterators

1500 Total
1497 New Total

Flamers work really well vs Nids/Orcs with Lash...
i like these changes would i be better off doing each marine squad with a melta and a flamer so they are able to take on anything or stick with one squad with 2 meltas and one squad with 2 flamers?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Have one squad with the same two weapons.. That way you can assign them accordingly.. Send one after a troop of Imperial Guard for example and the other after a Leman Russ Battle Tank...

This way you get twice the firepower against your chosen target.. This way you dont "waste" shots.

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
Personally I would drop the chosen and throw in some zerkers, That way it ups your troop count and I'm also not keen on suicide squads! You're goona be outnumbered most of the time anyway and you are essentially righting off a fifth of your model count,(I know its not cost wise) Plus zerkers are awesome, have never let me down! I would also throw a chaos lord in that squad (cough *Kharn* cough), fluff wise I think its a bit odd to have two DP's in a 1500 point battle, Its suppose to be a rare gift! So in summary to my waffle drop a DP and chosen throw the chaos lord back in (*kharn*) and get your self 8 zerkers!
plus I would keep the PM's as they are (as in two of the same special weapons each) I'd also drop them both down to 7!
happy hunting

·
Registered
477 Posts
As you can probably tell from my avatar I am a massive fan of Kharn the Betrayer and berserkers but the OP stated that he wanted to use models that he already had so I am guessing he has no zerkers or Kharn to field.

Additionally berserkers in a rhino cost almost twice as much as chosen and Kharn as much as a daemon prince so what else would you get rid of to pay for the berserkers?

I quite like his army the way it is and if you are going to have just two troops units in a 1500 point list it might as well be plague marines.. which once in cover are probably the best objective holders in the game...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd drop the Slannesh prince for maybe a unit of Berzerkers or another squad of Plague Marines. Daemon Princes are pretty good but combat squads hit much harder and have more staying power for only slightly more points. Throwing the Chosen and a CC squad at the enemy while the Plague Marines hold objectives and the prince bounces around lending a hand to whichever attacking squad needs help sounds like a very versatile force.

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
Yer I understand the fact about keeping to what he already had, but he has dropped a chaos lord for an extra daemon prince, so instead he could pick up something else instead! I worked out if he dropped the nurgle DP and chosen he could fit in 8 zerkers in a rhino with kharn (only power sword though but kharn should sort out that prob) To be fair you'd be 2 points over and although I never go oer some people don't mind too much!
I feel only 2 troop choices even though they are PM's (my favourite squad) won't have enough staying power!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
why would you mount choosen in a rhino they have out flank
Chosen with a transport can still outflank in the transport so they don't lose anything for being in the rhino

Yer I understand the fact about keeping to what he already had, but he has dropped a chaos lord for an extra daemon prince, so instead he could pick up something else instead! I worked out if he dropped the nurgle DP and chosen he could fit in 8 zerkers in a rhino with kharn (only power sword though but kharn should sort out that prob) To be fair you'd be 2 points over and although I never go oer some people don't mind too much!
I feel only 2 troop choices even though they are PM's (my favourite squad) won't have enough staying power!
I already have 2 daemon prince models (i know no one knew that because i have said anything about having one) but on a seperate note i also don't like to take my lists over the amount we play i feel whats the point in having a limit if you just go over it:crazy: and it makes more of a challenge making sure you are under it or trying to make a list that is spot on, on the zerkers i have tried games with them b4 and tbh have never found them to be that great it must be a play style thing, so i don't want to take a unit of them but thank you for the imput

EDIT: Yay 100 posts i have finally accomplished something with my life!!! ;-)

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
But but zerkers are awesome. . . .! oh well each to their own! Well even if you don't take them I would really suggest getting another troop choice in there! 14 models over two troop choices isn't the strongest situation to be in!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts