Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just started building my first razorback last night, and got about 80% complete. I ended up having to shave and grind down a few pieces to make them fit properly. When I checked the fit I got the superglue ready and then my wife asked me a question and when i turned to talk to her I ended up squeezing the super glue all over my fingertips. Since i'm relatively new to modelling, i forgot once you set that stuff skin to skin it's more or less stuck there, and eded up losing a lot of skin on my thumb.

So i'm just kind of curious, what's the worst accident you've had while modelling?

-Narik

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
That happened to be also, My thumb got completely stuck to my index finger and had to go to the doctor to get some lube stuff to help unstick them! :pP

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
it hasnt happened to me yet, but a friend of mine was makeing a resin tiger kit up with some brass work, and just as he was about to apply some gluehe got a sudden itch in his neather regions, so with out thinking he stuck his hand down his shorts (he was only wearing shorts at the time) and started to scratch, but he had a load of glue on his fingers, and got a tad stuck (for those that are not sure what i mean, he accidently glues his fingers to his togger), i got a phone call from his wife asking the best way to unstick him, as it was very painfull
at first he did try and pull his fingers free, but gave up as it hurt too much.
i dont think he will ever scratch him self again whem hes been glueing....................lol

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
actually super glue is very easy to remove from skin and if you have bonded skin to skin if you know how to handle it its easy to separate, if you get it on your skin warm water with soap will remove it , if you have bonded skin to skin then you need to pry the areas apart from one end, for example if you stick you index finger to your thumb then if you try and pull them apart you will loose skin, but if you pry them apart from either end slowly they will separate, i think the glue is good in tension put poor in torsion.

other tip is buy super glue that has a brush not the tube stuff.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Super glue is nothing compared to plastic cement. Make one mistake with that, and your model looks like they've taken a hit from a melta or acid weapon... :p

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
actually super glue is very easy to remove from skin and if you have bonded skin to skin if you know how to handle it its easy to separate, if you get it on your skin warm water with soap will remove it , if you have bonded skin to skin then you need to pry the areas apart from one end, for example if you stick you index finger to your thumb then if you try and pull them apart you will loose skin, but if you pry them apart from either end slowly they will separate, i think the glue is good in tension put poor in torsion.

other tip is buy super glue that has a brush not the tube stuff.
that works for fingers, but can be a little different for other areas of your body, when my friend had his incident and his wife call, i told her basicly what you surgested, but the dopey cow used some very HOT water to try and soak the affected area:nono: let just say she wondered why he screamed..............lol

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I once glued my jeans to my leg. I didn't realise I'd spilt it until I stood up. That hurt more because the jeans were ruined as well.

But the worst was only the day before yesterday when using a new tube of glue on a Gabriel Seth model I had just started on. It shot out of the tube and covered his torso and upper legs. I had some job trying to clean it up.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
that works for fingers, but can be a little different for other areas of your body, when my friend had his incident and his wife call, i told her basicly what you surgested, but the dopey cow used some very HOT water to try and soak the affected area:nono: let just say she wondered why he screamed..............lol
You should have run a hot soapy bath :p

I have spilt super glue on my lap once, and it got hotter and hotter, and nearly burnt me. Then I decided to break the super glue, which turned out to be a bad thing because the rip is now massive! :laugh:

·
Registered
836 Posts
You're all a bunch of women :p

Easiest solution is to run it under cold water, then blow on it, and finally get your hobby knife and pry it back off your skin.

Doesn't hurt at all!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You're all a bunch of women :p

Easiest solution is to run it under cold water, then blow on it, and finally get your hobby knife and pry it back off your skin.

Doesn't hurt at all!

psssh, that's the pussy way to do it.

If you get super glue on your fingers just cut 'em off, REAL MEN paint with their stubs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I can't imagine a worse glue story than to have your hand glued to your nether bits. I thought that only happened in movies :laugh:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I once unscrewed the lid of a bottle of superglue and the lid had stuck to the applicator nozzle; the lot came off and (naturally) I had been apllying some force with the bottle at an angle.

I ended up having a much better appreciation of what superglue was originally invented for... both hands covered and in the house alone (wife was out). Had to sit and let it dry before filling the sink with warm soapy water.

ouch.com

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Well... I got some super glue on my hands when gluing the old Hellhound from -95 for my brother... I ended up getting the whole damn tank stuck in my hand, very frustrating, and it refused to fall of...

+100 Respect for GW glues....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My buddy managed to finally finish his band of goblin spearmen in warhammer fantasy battle, he placed them on the floor so he could make room to start on some of his ork models for 40k. He took out his crazy glue bottle and spilled it all over his hands. He stood up and turned towards the bathroom and managed to get about 20 goblin spearment jammed up his foot.

Being late at night, his first reaction was to put his hand over his mouth to keep him from screaming and waking up his wife... needless to say, i was somewhat pleased that something finally was able to keep his mouth shut. The look on the nurses was priceless. :)

-Narik

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hate superglue. Why hasn't anyone invented a better way of opening a new bottle instead of poking it and getting glue everywhere? Everytime I open one I always seem to get a bit of glue on my hands, my dad once tried to open a lid that was sorta glued to the rest of the tube, it leaked out of the side somehow and got onto him.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
When I was fairly new to the hobby I was in my room glueing a Howling Banshee together (little shits were fiddly) at my desk which was also the bottom section of my bed- I had one of those loft beds, like a bunk bed but the bottom bunk is actually a wardrobe and a desk- and I was using so much Super Glue that I hadn't noticed that I had knocked the bottle over and a thin patch had spread over most of the desk.

Finally got the bastard model to hold together for more than 2 seconds so I put my hands on the desk and virtually held my breath so I didn't disturb the model causing it to fall apart- turns out that full minute I waited for the model to bond properly allowed the glue to bond me to the desk (ironically the reason I wasn't holding the model while it dried was so I didn't accidently glue myself to it).

Not having used super glue much I thought that if I pulled really quickly I'd free my hand...the end result was the loss of my finger prints for a while and knocking myself out when the unexpected tearing of my skin jerked me out of my seat into the stainless steel underside of my bed :headbutt:

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Glued my bottom lip to my teeth. Beat that. I regularly hold the glue lid in my mouth to take it off the tube with one hand while i am holding the model together with the other. One of the times when some glue came out as i removed the tube. Diddn't stick for very long. Tooth enamel is not a great bonding surface for superglue.:eek:k:
As far as modelling accidents go I am more of a 'Hack yourself up with a modelling knife' kind of guy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts