Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to continue with the current trend of Worst ____ stuffs I thought that we could take it one step farther and just do the BRB.

NOTE: Please refrain from mentioning highly controversial/frustrating topics (like the Shooting "range" FAQ for instance)

----

I will start;

The "Fear" Special rule, is terrible. It does nothing, since more than half of the armies are immune to it, and the other half have high Ld where failing it is practically zero percent.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Worst as in least ineffectual? Gonna go with Fear or Mysterious Nouns.

Worst as in worst written/balanced? And They Shall Know No Fear, by a mile, with Combat Tactics being another big offender.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Soul blaze is another pointless one, I have been sould blazed loads of times and the only thing it has ever done is take off 1 wound from a scarab

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
While Fear is a rather awfully designed rule it seeing as it almost universally useless vs. anything except CSM and DE of all things. Without a unit champion standard CSM/Whyches only have a LD of 8 so the chance of them failing is actually not that unlikely. Furthermore these two armies should not only be those best at making your opponent shit his pants they are also no pushovers in combat. This means that any excuse of Tau, IG most other things vulnerable to fear is pointless when you consider how all of these units pretty much always fold like paper if a unit of even vanilla marines makes contact.
However, the telepathy spell that makes a unit afraid is does make some good use of the rule. Unfortunately the spell also sucks major balls since GW, in their infinite wisdom, found it reasonable that a spell which could override Fearless has no effect on And They Shall Know No Fear.

Ultimately though, I consider Soul Blaze to be the most useless rule in 6th:
1. The damage is so small that it never matters.

2. It only works on a 4+ so half the time it's a special rule that literally DOES NOTHING. Sure, lots of rules does that, like Fear, but at least Fear is fluffy. People in fireproof space suits catching fire isn't.

3. It's only ever applied to mediocre or bad shooting attacks (or as a warlord trait, alongside one that gives Hatred. How do think Soul Blaze measures up against that?) to make them seem better/more interesting. Well, until you read what Soul Blaze does.

4. IT DOESN'T STACK! WHY THE HELL NOT?!

5. It's a lot of extra bookkeeping for something that always yields insignificant results. I personally never bother spending the time for such a miniscule advantage which begs the question of why this rule was introduced in the first place.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
In addition to those already mentioned, I would say Hit and Run is pretty bad, especially for large units. Nothing like having to be double tested for a rule to work; because even when you pass the I test(most units with the rule easily do), you have to roll far enough to actually escape. Easier said than done since every model has to move the same direction and can't just scatter into a circle around the other unit.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've had great success with soul blaze. It's free on the baleflamer, and can net a few additional kills on things like IG and Orks for free.

I'm really not a fan of not being able to assault out of reserve/rhinos. The edition already heavily favors shooting, and this just amplifies the problem.

Also rhinos giving away first blood. Beyond stupid.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Place fortifications first.

Honestly, if someone puts an f-ing tree infront of my aegis one more time im gunna sue somebody.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Also rhinos giving away first blood. Beyond stupid.
I think this is often more of an issue with many players not using/playing with enough cover and LoS blocking terrain on the table.

I think I agree that the fortifications before terrain placement order is crap (although many people forget that fortifications count as a piece of terrain for that board section's maximum and that there are restrictions on how close you can place terrain together)...I like that building the board can be part of the overall tactics of the game, but hate that you can negate spent points from someone's army without ever rolling a dice during the game.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
And I fail to see how that would translate into an actual account, say, in a book or a game.
Before battle:
Enemy: Hmm, so I get to place your bunker anywhere I want?
You: Thats right.
Enemy: I think I'll place it behind those lovely mountains over there in the distance.
You: You dick.... *sigh* Alright men, load up the bunker and move it to the mountains.
Your men: Seriously? Dafuq?

Somehow, I can't see that happening.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't like first blood- before 1st turn was a decent bonus, but not game changing, mostly
Now, first turn effectively gives you a good chance at getting a, often game changing, victory point- it's just fair in the guy the dice like to piss all over-(me):cray:

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Not technically part of the main rules but the FAQ in the DE has a brilliant question to me:

What does Drazhar's Ancient Incubus Warsuit do?

A: It gives Drazhar his armour save.
If you think I am joking check it out. It genuinely is there.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hah that's amazing. And in fact I don't think it really matters who goes first and who gets first blood, I always aim to deploy second because I can sit all my units out a range and wait for the opponent come to me, then when it gets to my turn I have a lot more guys in range then he had so I can kill more.

With the fortifications thing, it sort of implies that the fortification was there before the trees or the really old looking ruin someone decided to put in front of it. I was playing this one guy once who want to do this really weird thing where u place a terrain piece then roll the scatter dice to decide where it finally lands - oh ho wI laughed when the dilapidated bastion moved right in front of his aegis line

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here u place a terrain piece then roll the scatter dice to decide where it finally lands
that actually sounds cool, and if you put terrain down first seems very reasonable.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
For me it is the Allies.

For something that had such great potential for some really cool armies it is way to sketchy in it's rules and each Codex released since then seems to be successively nerfing any usefulness it might have had.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
All the mysterious terrain and placement rules: sure it could add a lot of interesting twists to the game but its just too long winded to bother with. my gaming group simply CBA and I would guess that's true many places. If 40k is the same as WFb then even GW held tournies won't bother with it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
For me it is the Allies.

For something that had such great potential for some really cool armies it is way to sketchy in it's rules and each Codex released since then seems to be successively nerfing any usefulness it might have had.
Yeah I'd have to agree. It essentially allows some armies to cover all there weaknesses (I'm looking at you imperials!) and then gives the finger to other armies.

It also has the potential to make the game less diverse, as some armies can produce excellent allied contingents that are almost auto-takes.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
First place: mysterious objectives. A pain to take note of those pesky useless effects.
Second place: warlord traits as they are given to us. Lots of potential, but 90% of the time is just a crappy ability. Wich you need to roll. Another goddam dice to roll.
Third place: the daemon codex being overwhelmed by charts, rolls to be mabe every turn, gifts to be rolled...

All of that summarized by my question: WHY the hell must I roll a crap load of dices for irrelevant matters?? Why GW developers still believe that "insane unbalanced random = fun" ?

·
Registered
682 Posts
All of that summarized by my question: WHY the hell must I roll a crap load of dices for irrelevant matters?? Why GW developers still believe that "insane unbalanced random = fun" ?
This is actually quite interesting since GW made a concerted effort to remove any "Bad effects" from random tables in CSM (even Spawndom is arguably not too terri-bad) then threw stupid crap like instability and self-exploding units in the Daemon one. You don't see Guardsmen getting panic-tables for just looking at the opponent.

I can't comment on the Daemon codex largely because I've not seen it in actual action, but my first glance was pretty much "Why is this a good thing for the game?" I get adding army flavor but at this rate we are going to see the ork codex be nothing more than a book of table after table to see what "Randwaaaagh" stuff happens starting with "Does your army even show up in the right place?" before the game starts. Seriously I can see it now; ork players roll a D6. On a 1 they "went to the wrong fight" and you lose.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts