1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
In all the inanity on facebook, it's rare that I see something that I think, "holy fuck, that's cool", and share it, rather than simply liking it. Today I saw something - imagine all those scenarios which involve worlds without oxygen etc, and super weapons which do that;

and read this

http://sharified.com/happen-world-lost-oxygen-just-5-seconds-will-blow-mind/
The article is talking about if all the O was gone, not just Breathable O2. Which lets be frank, I don't know why the guys an ass, even by 40k standards is an impossibility, even for crons. The shear amount of energy at an atomic level to do that would be through the roof astronomical, why not just build a weapon, you could make thousands of doomsday weapons for the price of that 1 weapon, and then that 1 weapon would be thousands times more unreliable than those other weapons.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
The article is talking about if all the O was gone, not just Breathable O2. Which lets be frank, I don't know why the guys an ass, even by 40k standards is an impossibility, even for crons. The shear amount of energy at an atomic level to do that would be through the roof astronomical, why not just build a weapon, you could make thousands of doomsday weapons for the price of that 1 weapon, and then that 1 weapon would be thousands times more unreliable than those other weapons.
Energy? There's no physical way to do it, so who gives a damn about energy? :laugh:

As to Vaz, it's honestly pretty cool to imagine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interesting article.

What's also interesting is most of the oxygen in our atmosphere comes from plankton in the oceans, and then the forests.

Pre and post Crusade Terra doesn't have any oceans or forests.....

Where does the atmosphere come from?

(insert Dark Age of Technology indestructible (they survived the Age of Strife) oxygen producing terraformers here)

This applies to hive worlds/industrial worlds too, although many 40k stories in these worlds require the inhabitants to have breathing gear, they are usually things to filter out toxins and particles, not oxygen tanks.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
tyranids consume the oxygen from a world they are harvesting.
I thought the Tyranids need oxygen in order to survive; minus their Bioships. In fact doesn't most "organic" matter known to man require oxygen in order to live and thrive? Therefore wouldn't even the Bioships require oxygen to to live and thrive IOT create more Nids? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
No Brother Lucian I understood the point you made. However the thought occured to me in that moment I read your post," Hey, do Tyranids breath oxygen? If so would they not require it for all the Organisms, including Bioships? also if that is true then do they technically kill all Tyranid organiosms as they harvest a planet or do they recover their creatures as they go?"

I guess what I'm asking from my more knowledgable Heretics is whether or not we know if Tyranids breath oxygen, or if they have a difference source of sustanance for their muscles?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They don't have a need for a stomach unless they are designed for that - maybe dimachaeron, rippers, and malanthrope. They have adrenaline glands, adrenaline increasing metabolic rate, so its assumed they have some form of breathing - although one that operates in a void space, might not require some respiratory function, but may be able to function more effectively by being able to use oxygen or whatever.

They can operate in an atmosphere that is lethal to humans, but then again, so can deep sea fish etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
They don't have a need for a stomach unless they are designed for that - maybe dimachaeron, rippers, and malanthrope. They have adrenaline glands, adrenaline increasing metabolic rate, so its assumed they have some form of breathing - although one that operates in a void space, might not require some respiratory function, but may be able to function more effectively by being able to use oxygen or whatever.

They can operate in an atmosphere that is lethal to humans, but then again, so can deep sea fish etc.
Anaerobic respiration as it doesn't require oxygen. The human body goes through it when we push ourselves to hard during exercise.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless they can function on lactic acid or use that a source of energy (some reverse battery type effect, say), they'll be staggered within minutes. Try swimming 3 lengths of a pool as fast as you can, then do a 4th without breathing the entire length, then do a 5th one. Do hill sprints continupusly, it is a similar effect - and can take up to a week to leave your body - happened after I fucked up on the 30 miler and the assault course at lympstone, having to do 6 commando tests in 5 days caused me enough lactic build up i wasn't ready to start training on the monday, backtrooping me a month. It is a killer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Unless they can function on lactic acid or use that a source of energy (some reverse battery type effect, say), they'll be staggered within minutes. Try swimming 3 lengths of a pool as fast as you can, then do a 4th without breathing the entire length, then do a 5th one. Do hill sprints continupusly, it is a similar effect - and can take up to a week to leave your body - happened after I fucked up on the 30 miler and the assault course at lympstone, having to do 6 commando tests in 5 days caused me enough lactic build up i wasn't ready to start training on the monday, backtrooping me a month. It is a killer.
Damn, the actual name of the reverse process is escaping me. Hmmmm fuck! i cannie remember it.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts