Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could critique and give advice based on this null deployment World Eaters assault list I've made using the CSM Codex. The tactic is classic World Eaters, dropping in and attacking in great force before the enemy can respond, tearing through them with savagery and using sheer volumes of strong attacks on the charge to quickly tear chunks into the foe. It's slightly thematic, keeping with what was stated in Betrayer about the World Eaters getting along with Dreadclaws. While also keeping true to what we see of the World Eaters not using jump packs, and relying on personal skill and footslogging after getting deployed to win the day (though the Dreadclaws could still ferry them about if I really needed it after dropping them out, though off the top of my head I can't think of a scenario where I'd need that. Though I imagine there might be a few, point is it's still an option and the more options the better, especially if something unexpected happens.)

HQ:
Kharn the Betrayer

Dark Apostle
Combat Familiar
Mark of Khorne

Elites:
Ferrum Infernus Chaos Dreadnought
Dedication of Khorne
Lord of the Long War
Veteran of the Scouring
Chainfist
Twin-Linked Lascannon
Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Troops:
18 Khorne Berzerkers
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Champion
-Mutation, Melta Bombs, Power Sword
(19 bodies including the Champion, this not is merely an aid for clarity)

9 Khorne Berzerkers
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Champion
-Mutation, Melta Bombs

8 Khorne Berzerkers
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Champion
-Mutation, Melta Bombs

Fast Attack:
Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Heavy Support:
Kharybdis Assault Claw

Total: 2,000pts

The plan is to stick Kharn in the squad of 19 in the Assault Claw, he'll come in with the first wave of Pods, maybe with one of the smaller Berzerker squads, maybe with the Dreadnought based on what my opponent has fielded, the Apostle will go with the squad of 9 Berzerkers and so will give them the benefit of the re-rolls to hit like Kharn's warlord trait. The general idea is that where possible the Assault Claw will use it's weapons to make enemies go to ground before an assault, though that's mainly if overwatch looks like it will prove to be a problem. To put it plainly, once the troops are down on the table, put down as quickly and effectively as possible by the Pods it's smash and tear time, making use of the Berzerkers deadliness on the charge to hopefully cut the enemy down to little chunks. While the Dreadnought sows terror, hopefully causing a goodly amount of damage and at least being a good bit of fun. I was aiming to try and make sure it could handle tanks as well as melee, hoping to help make sure that a strong presence of enemy Armour would prove to be a small of a problem as possible against the might of the XII Legion.

Background for those that are interested/care:
I fell in rage with the World Eaters when I first saw them, from their fluff of doing whatever it took and more; a lot more, to get the job done... all the way to the nails making them twitch and fire up their chain weapons. Their brutality is pretty hard to match, and their philosophy is blunt and is mainly about striking harder and faster, and always be more than willing to go one step further than your opponent to achieve victory.
It's for these reasons that I decided to do an army themed around them, and because I preferred their Pre-heresy colour scheme (partly because the blood splatter looks far better, and bolder) I've gone and used the blue and white in place of the red and gold. The army itself will represent late heresy Eaters, right up until shortly before they change their colours; represented by the presence of a few sets of the actual Khorne Berzerker models to give this feel of them beginning to lose what little sanity they had left, some modifying their Armour to show their devotion to their new God (though roughly half of the finished army will have the bunny ears cut off, to help give a sense of the Legion's losses after a long unending campaign... one that's been more intense and deadly than anything they've faced before).

I posted this before on another forum but got no feedback, so with that in mind I've decided to see if any of you lovely people would be willing to take a look at it and offer critique and such. I've not got all the stuff for this list yet so depending on what is suggested in regards to if it's a good list or not will have an impact on what I buy next and what my finished 2,000 points will be like.

Thanks for your time.

Spartacus.

P.S SKULLS FOR THE XII LEGION!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I like the idea of this list but you haven't been very efficient with whats in it. For 2000 points all you really have is three squads and a dreadnought. If you swap the two smaller bezerker squads for marked marines you can get some anti armour in to the list. if you're opponents are all sat in tanks at least you can crack some nuts.
Also the dread claws will be scoring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thank you, would you recommend any particular loadouts for the normal marked marines, or would you say just take some anti-armour stuff and see about trying to fit another unit of some description in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, so, swapped out the Dark Apostle and the two ten man squads for two squads of ten CSM, the two squads are loaded out like this:

Chaos Space Marines 338pts
Aspiring Champion (Bolt Pistol+CCW, Mutation)
CCW+Boltguns
Icon of Wrath
Mark of Khorne
2xMeltaguns
VotLW
Dreadclaw

Edit: Making the List this.

HQ:
Kharn the Betrayer

Dark Apostle
Combat Familiar
Mark of Khorne

Elites:
Ferrum Infernus Chaos Dreadnought
Dedication of Khorne
Lord of the Long War
Veteran of the Scouring
Chainfist
Twin-Linked Lascannon
Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Troops:
18 Khorne Berzerkers
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Champion
(19 bodies including the Champion, this not is merely an aid for clarity)

9 Chaos Space Marines
CCW+Boltguns
Icon of Wrath
Mark of Khorne
2xMeltaguns
Veterans of the Long War
Aspiring Champion
-Mutation, Bolt Pistol+CCW
Dedicated Transport: Dreadclaw

9 Chaos Space Marines
CCW+Boltguns
Icon of Wrath
Mark of Khorne
2xMeltaguns
Veterans of the Long War
Aspiring Champion

Heavy Support:
Kharybdis Assault Claw

Total: 1,886pts

So, I now need to fill in those spare slots, so, is this a better way to go then or have I incurred the same problem of paying a lot for a little?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Do you need the dread in a pod?
that dread unit must be nearly 300 points.
Two things I would suggest 1. Get some havocs with melta in the dreadclaw instead of the dread. After all it has a las cannon. 2 is swap the dread unit for the 3 dread formation, they have deep strike so don't need pods.
Also I would bump the bezerkers up to 20
Infantry
and put kharn with another claw squad of nine. Then give the champ a combi. Would it not be better to swap the apostle for a lord, especially if you give him the black axe. With him in one and kharn in the other, everyone is fearless.
I think overall your gonna have problems with elite infantry and armour heavy lists. But either way you're gonna have some fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the help by the way!

So, going off of that:

HQ:
Kharn the Betrayer 160pts

Troops:
8 Chaos Space Marines 300pts
Mark of Khorne
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Aspiring Champion

9 Chaos Space Marines 318pts
Mark of Khorne
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Aspiring Champion

19 Khorne Berzerkers 458pts
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Champion

Fast Attack:
Dreadclaw 100pts

Heavy Support:
Kharybdis Assault Claw 260pts

Havocs

Formation:
Mayhem Pack:
Hellbrute 100pts
Power Fist
Multi-Melta

Hellbrute 100pts
Power Fist
Multi-Melta

Hellbrute 100pts
Power Fist
Multi-Melta

Total: 1,896

Fitting in the Havocs seems to require getting rid of the Meltas from the Chaos Marine squad, the Hellbrute formation is amazing and will be a huge help but not too sure about whether or not I should still put in the havocs or whether or not I should just put meltas in the normal CSM squads and use the points I save getting them and a pod for something else. Though Kharn will be in the nine-man marine squad. Once again, thanks you for the advice.

Edit: Didn't realise you had edited your post, OK, swapped the apostle for a Lord, that Fist of Khorne rules. Can't fit in Havocs but hopefully the Hellbrutes should make up for that. Especially when the CSM squads have each been given a melta bomb, everyone being fearless will be a great boon to be sure.

HQ:
Kharn the Betrayer 160pts

Chaos Lord 115pts
Axe of Blind Fury
Mark of Khorne
Veteran of the Long War

Troops:
8 Chaos Space Marines 310pts
Mark of Khorne
Icon of Wrath
Meltagun
Veterans of the Long War
Aspiring Champion

8 Chaos Space Marines 310pts
Mark of Khorne
Icon of Wrath
Meltagun
Veterans of the Long War
Aspiring Champion

19 Khorne Berzerkers 458pts
Icon of Wrath
Veterans of the Long War
Champion

Heavy Support:
Kharybdis Assault Claw 260pts

Havocs

Formation:
Mayhem Pack:
Hellbrute 100pts
Power Fist
Multi-Melta

Hellbrute 100pts
Power Fist
Multi-Melta

Hellbrute 100pts
Power Fist
Multi-Melta

Total: 1,913pts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Some other tweaks if you lose vets and swap the mutations for meltabombs you can get some meltaguns for the squads.
Also swap the power sword for a lighting claw or power axe on the bezerkers.
Instead of the havocs how about
a black axe lord with melta bombs 125
Gives you 94 left if you lose a guy off the remaining 10 man. Then get power axe's for the champs then if you're feeling fluffy a khorne mutilater as a lone red butcher.
Every squad could do something to everything.
But you're still npt getting much for your points. But I presume you are looking for a themed list over competitive.

Go harvest some skulls.

On a side note, you do realise that if you have no model on the table it's an auto lose!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye, to be fair this will be more or less to give me a good base to go from, as in once I have all the bits for the army I'll have a good force that I can expand, making me more flexible. But yeah, I'm looking for a force that at least stands a chance against opponents but to also keep themed to the spirit of that murderous band of brothers that is the XII Legion.

I will harvest all the skulls!

And as long as I can make sure I don't go a full game turn without nothing on the table then I'm good X3

Cheers for all the advice mate, you've been a big help.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have given mutations a go a few times and have always been of no effect or just shit. Either way not worth the 10 points. Vets is also not worth it in the squads with characters. Axes on the champs may give you something back. Or an invulnerable save for the lord.
I hope it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts