Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

World Eaters I'm contemplating...

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  crzy eyes 
#1 ·
So as my regular, weekly, have fun at gamenight kinda army.. i think i'm going to build some World Eaters. Always loved the models for the Berzerkers and it's the most contrast to the Eldar I play competitivley. So I came up with this list, not too overdone as some WE are, and with enough character to make a cool looking force overall. Yes, I really am using a terminator as the demonvessel. I have this image of the strongest marine on the battlefield being the only one with enough in him to channel the Bloodthirster into the material plane... so yeah, he's my demonvessel :) Anyway, critique away!

1 Bloodthirster

8 Chosen Terminators
2 Reapers Autocannons
Chainfists
Aspiring Champion
Demonvessel

3 X 8 Berzerkers
Khornate Chainaxes
Furious Charge
Aspiring Champion
Axe of Khorne
Rage of Khorne
Talisman of the Burning Blood

5 Khornate Bikers
Khornate Chainaxes
Furious Charge

2 Defilers
Khorne Dedication
Mutated Hull
No Indirect Fire (they're Khornate after all)
Heavy Flamer
Twin Linked Lascannons

40 Models
1997 Points

See less See more
#2 ·
i'd give 6 of the termies powerweapon over chainfists. and possibly dreds over defilers as they are more Assaulty and the rage rolls suit Khorne as well

#3 ·
This looks really good. I think I would be more scared (as an Eldar player) of power weapons than chainfists, but that's just me...

#4 ·
Like the others have said, give only 2 termies chainfists. I would also drop the bikers. With no daemons to summon, wht are they doing for you? Grab some more berzekers.

Preds would serve you better for anti-tank, because the defilers can either fire the lascannon, or the battle cannon, but not both, in the same turn.

#5 ·
A lot of people are at odds with me on this one, but I'm a big fan of taking stock defilers. You buy the thing for its battle cannon anyway, and it comes possessed. Why spend points on the lascannons when it's never going to actually shoot them?

I'd drop one of the defilers for a lascannon-armed dreadnought. I'd definitely try to get the defilers under 180 points. They're quite sturdy despite their size-- my stock defilers tend to live through the entire game most of the time thanks to their daemonic possession and the fact that there tend to be much more immediate threats to the enemy army, such as my fourteen-man infiltrating assault squads that jump them on turn 1 or 2...

Bikers are worth having, although I'd try to find a way to squeeze three more in for a free champion. They may not be there for daemon-bombing, but they're bloody fast, and they can engage long-range anti-infantry threats to your walking berserkers faster than anything else can.

As everyone else has said, I'd get some power weapons in the terminator squad instead of chainfists. I've found usually one power fist/chain fist is enough for every five terminators. It's really there to break a drawn combat, punch out an enemy independent character, or deal with a dreadnought.

I'd give your Aspiring Champions power fists. Same points cost, much more effective. Gives you defense against dreadnoughts and whatnot, which you'll find you actually do need pretty badly. I'd nix Rage of Khorne on the Champions too. They're throwing 5 attacks on the charge. With a power fist, that's plenty.

This may sound nuts, but if you can give the terminators tank hunters, those reaper cannons will be a hell of a lot more effective on the walk in.

#6 ·
For those termies, I would drop the reaper autocannons and add a talisman of burning blood. If you use those termies right, they won't have time to shoot.

#7 ·
Drop the blood thirster and get a tooled up Daemon Prince. Bikers are good, but get them two meltaguns and the AC a powerfist. Use them to hunt tanks.

Say noooo to dreadnoughts. Chaos Dreads suck. Instead go with the defiler or even a land raider for 5 termies instead of 8. Maybe use a predator with mutated hull and parasitic possession.

Blood letters are a great troop choice and free up a lot of points. Drop one unit of Berserkers for a unit of Bloodletters.

Get rid of the talisman of BB and put your berserkers in a rhino. "But what happens when they get out of the rhino?" move the rhino up around them and use it as a portable wall. It is a size 3 vehicle is it not?

My two cents. :)

#8 ·
pathwinder14 said:
Bikers are good, but get them two meltaguns and the AC a powerfist.

Say noooo to dreadnoughts. Chaos Dreads suck. Instead go with the defiler or even a land raider for 5 termies instead of 8. Maybe use a predator with mutated hull and parasitic possession.
World Eaters in power armour can't upgrade their ranged weapons except for plasma pistols. Bikers can't have plasma pistols, so no ranged upgrades for them. That'd be good advice for any other Chaos army that can have bikers, though.

Dreadnoughts are awesome. If you aren't willing to take a chance on something...chaotic... why are you playing Chaos in the first place? A predator with mutated hull and parasitic possession is a bad use of points. A predator with daemonic possession is fine, though. You just don't want to spend 200 points on the thing.

No need for defilers-- the World Eaters can carve up infantry in close combat like no other. Better to take dreadnoughts since you can actually use the lascannons effectively. Lascannons on defilers are a total waste since you buy the defiler for its battle cannon to begin with.

8 is the sacred number. Best to keep the army characterful, I think.

#9 ·
pathwinder14 said:
Drop the blood thirster and get a tooled up Daemon Prince. Bikers are good, but get them two meltaguns and the AC a powerfist. Use them to hunt tanks.

Blood letters are a great troop choice and free up a lot of points. Drop one unit of Berserkers for a unit of Bloodletters.

Get rid of the talisman of BB and put your berserkers in a rhino. "But what happens when they get out of the rhino?" move the rhino up around them and use it as a portable wall. It is a size 3 vehicle is it not?

My two cents. :)
I appreciate the info on this, but the suggestions turn it into every cookie cutter WE army out there, and I want something different with some character. I may opt out the Defilers for either Preds or Dreads, not sure yet. I like the Defilers for the crawling, spikey, evil goodness they are.

Thanks everyone else for the info as well, i'll repost as I tune the army a bit here and there

#10 ·
As has been said those Asp champs need Fists. Face a heavy veh, say dread in CC or a MC and your stuck if you don't have one.

Chaos dreads are actually pretty damn cool. I used to run one in a word bearer army i borrowed from a friend for a while. 2 CCWs, mutated hull, EA and Smoke.

I'd actually run him pretty much out against the enemy guns as soon as possible and fire my smoke as i did. Reason been that if he gets glanced he can't shoot so it increase the chance of blood rage, and when this is a dread who will chuck 6 attacks out on the charge!!!! (2 doubled plus add CCW and Charge) You can't ignore that, plus its cheap and fits very well with worldeaters.

once thing that eveyone seems to have looked over is hounds. These bad boys are often over looked but tbh are better than Letters in a WE force.
Letters are slow (only 6" a turn) and thier power weaps are pretty redundant when you have a force of chainaxe swinging beserkers.

Hounds though are cheap and fast, PLUS they have Furious charge which means they are at a higher Init and S than most units they charge, putting you in the drivers seat. Even against eldar CC units they are damn handy. Even banshees as you high speed from fleet and 12" charge will let you snipe the corner of the enemy unit. Allowing you to engineer the charge in such a way that you bring maxium attacks agasint a minimum of enemy models. When its banshees thats good. Let them attack you with 2 maybe 3 girls, you'll survive and kill all 3 of them back. You've then tied up a very scary CC unit with something far cheaper for a few ronds of CC - just in time for the beserkers to charge in. Do this while the banshees are still in CC and WOW they don't get the mask as it is not the first round of combat for them (this has been rules on btw many times at the GT and over tournies).

They can also go hunting vipers and other fast pesky unit, forcing them to target the cheaper hounds while your beserkers mop up.

On the note of defilers vs preads. Against eldar odds on you will face a lot of skimmer tanks, preads will suite you better as there are far superior at knocking them out the sky than battle cannons are.

#11 ·
Skcuzzlebumm said:
Chaos dreads are actually pretty damn cool. I used to run one in a word bearer army i borrowed from a friend for a while. 2 CCWs, mutated hull, EA and Smoke.

I'd actually run him pretty much out against the enemy guns as soon as possible and fire my smoke as i did. Reason been that if he gets glanced he can't shoot so it increase the chance of blood rage, and when this is a dread who will chuck 6 attacks out on the charge!!!! (2 doubled plus add CCW and Charge) You can't ignore that, plus its cheap and fits very well with worldeaters.
Good to read someone saying this as I plan to eventually purchase a World Eaters Dreadnought with 2 CCW from FW. Fluff-wise they fit in beautifully with World Eaters.

#14 ·
why if it has 2 CCW's? OHH fear my bolter!

Yes if you go for Twin Las, but if your spending (say) 133 pts on a dread with that (Dread, TLLC, EA, Smoke) then why aint you buying a pread with TLLC, hvy bolters, EA and Smoke for the same cost?

#15 ·
Again, you shouldn't play Chaos if you can't handle something chaotic happening.

First, you don't need smoke launchers on a dreadnought with a lascannon particularly. It's probably more cost-efficient to give it daemonic possession. Incidentally, you don't NEED a dreadnought with a pair of close combat weapons since you've got plenty of anti-infantry close combat capability in the rest of the army. There's very little in the way of anti-tank power in a World Eaters army. The dreadnought is still more characterful than a predator in a World Eaters army, though. A predator armed with heavy bolter sponsons and a twin lascannon with possession is more expensive than a dreadnought with a twin lascannon and possession anyway.

#16 ·
tweaked it a bit with some of the suggestions...

Bloodthirster

8 Chosen Terminators
Power Weapons
2 Autocannons
Banner of Rage
Aspiring Champ
Demonvessel

3 X 8 Berzerkers
Khornate Chainaxes
1 Plasma Pistol
Furious Charge
Aspiring Champion
Powerfist
Rage of Khorne
Talisman of the Burning Blood

4 Khornate Bikers
Khornate Chainaxes
Furious Charge

8 Fleshhounds

2 Predators
Khorne Dedication
Lascannon Turret/Hvy Bolter Sponsons
Demonic Possession

Gave me 7 more models (now 47) and kept me at 1996 points

#17 ·
The Son of Horus said:
The dreadnought is still more characterful than a predator in a World Eaters army, though. A predator armed with heavy bolter sponsons and a twin lascannon with possession is more expensive than a dreadnought with a twin lascannon and possession anyway.
yes and no, there was a day in 2nd ed when Khorne could shoot it up with the best of them and Berzerkers were more of a shock troop role in the army. Epic Khorne had cannons and all manner of artillery then :) Of course the fluff has changed dramatically over the years, but i like to still see a little range so it's not totally a dice fest and there are still some postiitioning tactics in the army. Though with my Predators, I will do the Khorne-like thing and keep them moving forward. I just hate the Chaos Dred model, the FW ones too $$$, and I don't feel like converting loyalist dreads.

#19 ·
I never said you needed a dread with twin CCW its just if you're gonna us a chaos dread then thats the route you go down. Cause a pread is only higher b 5 pts, which is naff all if your laying out for a tank thats got more guns and a higher AV.

And your quite wrong with tanks not been fluffy, as long as its spilling blood then khorne doesn't care and there are plenty of fluff references throughout the ages to daemonic khornate tanks.

Or as blkdymnd you just model it as a khroneate daemonic engine (nice challenge) which they still have in epic IIRC.

Looking at the list unless your going for pure fluff i wouldn't give them destroyer, its a lot of points for very little.

#20 ·
The Son of Horus said:
World Eaters in power armour can't upgrade their ranged weapons except for plasma pistols. Bikers can't have plasma pistols, so no ranged upgrades for them. That'd be good advice for any other Chaos army that can have bikers, though.
They can get meltaguns. The rules state they can only replace hand held ranged weapons with plasma pistols. The meltaguns are not replacements for the bikers, they are addittions to the bikes.

#21 ·
pathwinder14 said:
The Son of Horus said:
They can get meltaguns. The rules state they can only replace hand held ranged weapons with plasma pistols. The meltaguns are not replacements for the bikers, they are addittions to the bikes.
close, but not quite... quoting the codex...

"Models in power armor cannot upgrade thier ranged weaponry other than to replace a bolt pistol with a plasma pistol at the normal cost"

Says nothing about just handheld weapons, it states ranged weaponry as a blanket statement that would include the bike since the bike and the driver are considered one model for shooting purposes. My interpretation anyway

#22 ·
blkdymnd said:
close, but not quite... quoting the codex...

"Models in power armor cannot upgrade thier ranged weaponry other than to replace a bolt pistol with a plasma pistol at the normal cost"

Says nothing about just handheld weapons, it states ranged weaponry as a blanket statement that would include the bike since the bike and the driver are considered one model for shooting purposes. My interpretation anyway
Ok...now read further. It says they can replace bolt pistols with plasma pistols. The bike has twin linked bolters...mounted on it. What does the chaos codex say they can replace twin linked bolters with? It doesn't.

Addittionally the bike does not wear power armor. The biker does not have a ranged weapon. All they have is a CC weapon and a hand to hold on with. The biker however can replace the bikes twin linked bolters with a meltagun because the bike is not a model wearing power armor.

Your argument is like saying that I cannot replace a heavy bolter on a dreadnought with a multi melta. The dreadnought does not wear power armor and is not subject to the rule. The bike doesn't wear power armor either.

If the bikes weapons were not mounted and were totally held by the rider I would agree with you.

#24 ·
Skcuzzlebumm said:
once thing that eveyone seems to have looked over is hounds. These bad boys are often over looked but tbh are better than Letters in a WE force.
Letters are slow (only 6" a turn) and thier power weaps are pretty redundant when you have a force of chainaxe swinging beserkers.
Definately agree, I would drop the bikers to get more hounds in, I'd have at least three squads in 2 thousand points. Most armies will have cheap meat shields somewhere which your hounds will excell in dropping. They are also superb at supporting beserkers.

You are likely to be running headlong at the enemy so they are likely to be summoned from at least 18-24 inches onto the board and with a possible 24" move can get almost anywhere even if summoned early.

And they are fluffy and look good even for an older model.

#25 ·
The only thing I would do differently in the list above is drop the Defilers for a couple Preds and use the saved points to buy more bodies in the way of Berzerkers or Bloodletters/Hounds and add powerfists to the unit champs.

I won't go off on a rant here but Defilers are not worth the points imho. Ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.