Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently building my first army and I'm trying to settle on a goal. Any tips for this list? It's currently exactly 1000 points

HQ: 140
Nurgle Lord
Chaos Bike
Fist and Claw
MoN

Troops: 310
5 Plague Marines 155
2 Melta guns
Plasma Pistol Champion

5 Plague Marines 155
2 Flamers
Power fist

Fast: 283
3 Bikers
MoN
Champion has melta bombs
2 melta guns

Heldrke
Baleflamer

Heavy: 267
5 Havocs
4 autocannons

2 Obliterators
MoN

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Welcome to Heresy Online @ck1991

OK well looking at the list I think you may be a bit light on troops, even in a 1000 point list. You have taken 3 very heavy hitting choices (Helldrake, Havocs and Oblitorators) and could probably loose one of them and either ennlarge the troops or take a third.

The only other thing I see whch you could adjust is the Lord. He has both a claw and a fist. I would personally not have both. For a nurgle biker I would go with a power fist as he is pretty resilient to most things and the fist will allow him to smash most things in close combat. Maybe use the points to get a plasma pistol to weaken opponents before a charge?

I would probably keep the Helldrake as it is a great air superiority choice. The Havocs will be good against both horde and light vehicles with the autocannons, so maybe the oblitorators could be put on hold for a larger list.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Even giving the Lord a Chainfist, as he is going tank hunting with the biker mob. Invest in some cultists for objective securing and possible linebreaker points. 2 squads are cheap as cheaps and have rarely gone wrong in my lists. (A squad of 10 cultists killed 3 termis and Baal in a shooting phase once)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hi @ck1991.
About plasmapistols: the biggest letdown since 3rd edition. they cost like a plasmagun, have half the range and can still burn you. Remove them everywhere. they are not fun. If you want to weaken the enemy before the charge go for a combi-melta/plasma.
About the Lord: I disagree (respectfully) with @humakt. Fist and Claw is the perfect way to have a "smash all" cc beast. Monsters, terminators and troopers will fear him. he just need an invulnerable save. Siglis of corruption are almost mandatory. you can have them removing the plasmapistol and downgrading the Powerfist from the plague champion into a Power Axe.
The rest is good for me. You are light on troops so should hit very hard with your heavy and fast choices on enemy troops to make it even. You want also to be very aggressive with the lord and bikers, and capitalize their abilities. They have almost 40% of your points...maybe a little too much for 4 models?
Cheers

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I would probably keep the Helldrake as it is a great air superiority choice. The Havocs will be good against both horde and light vehicles with the autocannons, so maybe the oblitorators could be put on hold for a larger list.
My thoughts exactly - Personally I would dump the Obliterators and use those points to either reinforce the two marine squads or make a third. I would bump them up personally, as Marines in 5 mans have given me quite bad experiences in the past.

You have plenty of "DIE IN FIRE LOYALIST!!" power in the Havocs and the Heldrake - Especially for a 1000 point list.

What is the strategy with your bikers and your Lord? I can see the bikers are kitted out to be tankbusters, but the lord seems more CC oriented. If they roll together, I would agree with humakt and keep him on a fist and swap the claw for a melta. That way that squad can run around busting vehicles, and if needs be, they can also charge them for a guaranteed boom. Otherwise the Lord seems to counteract the purpose of the bikers, who are to stay out of CC to bust things up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! This site has been really helpful. I switched around some points and I came out with an extra 35 which I put toward a rhino. I'm not sure who should use it though. What do you think?

HQ: 135
Nurgle Lord
Chaos Bike
Fist
MoN
CombiMelta

Troops: 398
6 Plague Marines
2 Melta guns
combi melta Champion

7 Plague Marines
2 Flamers
Power axe Champion

10 Cultists
Flamer
9 Boltguns

Fast: 283
3 Bikers
MoN
Champion has melta bombs
2 meltas

Heldrke
Baleflamer

Heavy: 115
5 Havocs
4 autocannons

Transport: 35
Rhino

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The rhino, being your only vehicle, will be targeted to death in turn one. You can use it (if it survives) for some good tactical flexibility. I'd, however, add a body to the bikers and some more cultists. That's just my taste, however.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Here's a 1K list with bikers that I worked up for you:

HQ
• Lord of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle; Chaos bike; paired lightning claws
130 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plague Marines
– combi-bolter; 2 meltaguns; Rhino
226 points
• 7 Plague Marines – combi-bolter; 2 flamers; Rhino
216 points

FAST ATTACK
• 3 Plague Bikers
– Mark of Nurgle; lightning claw; 2 flamers
113 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 7 Havocs of Nurgle
– Mark of Nurgle; 4 heavy bolters
162 points
• 2 Obliterators – Mark of Nurgle
152 points

TOTAL
999 points

hth =)

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's a cracking list actually. WoW....

(edit) I would drop 2 havocs though and give autocannons instead of heavy bolters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you don't think I should include a Heldrake? Also, why is it beneficial to have more than 5 havocs when you can't have more than 4 big guns?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The Heldrake is a powerful tool but not always required. Extra Havocs are placed slightly in front of the gun wielding Havocs and eat wounds that would kill big guns.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So you don't think I should include a Heldrake? Also, why is it beneficial to have more than 5 havocs when you can't have more than 4 big guns?
The Heldrake is a powerful tool but not always required. Extra Havocs are placed slightly in front of the gun wielding Havocs and eat wounds that would kill big guns.
It is beneficial to have more than 5 havocs because the under gunned havocs take wounds instead of the havocs with heavy weapons. In 1000 points though? I dunno, put those nurgle marked havocs in a crater or behind a defense wall and get your 5++/4++ cover save as well as T5, autocannons are also good for mowing down infantry and lightly armoured tanks (10/11AV) with the capability of glancing AV13 too)

As for the drake, you could scrap it and swap it for more troop choices for scoring, or keep it and make a mess of his 3+ or worse troops with vector striking his lighter vehicles.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
I use 7 in a Havoc squad both because ablative armour is always good (and if they're not dead they can shoot too, every little helps) and especially because it's Grandfather Nurgle's sacred number. Yes, I'm a sad fluff-hound...sue me :p

I love heavy bolters myself purely because of the sheer number of rounds they can punch out (and also because I've modelled my first Havoc squad with the old-school chunk-o'-metal heavy bolters which I love, as you can see here - they're getting painted right now), but since autocannons are the same cost then you can just use either without it messing up the list. After I wrote that list I'm actually tempted to try it myself now...the conversion possibilities for some truly corrupted Nurgle Bikers are starting to feel very, very tempting :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts