Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else thinks the Word Bearers Epitomise the very essence of chaos? To me they are the most corrupt yet most "civilised" of the former legions.

They were the ones who first succumbed to chaos and they were the ones to corrupt Horus. Realisticly though they are the only legion to control most if not all of their legion still. They have a council within the Eye of Terror as well as holding a world in the maelstrom. Compaired to the rest of the most known legions like the World Eaters, Black Legion, Death Guard etc, they still have control over what the whole legion does.

Who do you think truly epitomises chaos and their former legion prowess?

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I don't know, I guess. The Iron Warriors are also pretty organized, but they do fight amongst each other. I would think the Word Bearers would too, y'know? Ten thousand years, people would get a little annoyed with each other.

The Word Bearers are actually only held together by faith. The Death Guard adopted small strains and the World Eaters were split by Kharn the Betrayer. The fact is, if the DG decided to believe in one face of Nurgle, then the legion would be together again.

-Dirge

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I'm with Words Of Truth. Sure Iron Warriors are organised by they arn't really Chaosy. They don't use that many deamons and are a bit self obsessed. Word Bearers on the other hands are kinda like the Imperial Fists or Black Templars of Chaos. They live, breath and worship the stuff. They are still together, unlike most of the others, and arn't focussed on one particuler branch of Chaos like the others. Yea the Word Bearers are held together by Faith but isn't the Imperuim?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe that the Word Bearers represent a great irony of their chapter. They rebel against the Emperor and his useless society, and turn around and make a faction that is almost as ridiculously dogmatic as the present day Imperium. I think the writers make it a point to highlight how linear the Word Bearers are to the Cult Imperialis.

The bottom line is when Chaos is mentioned, an organized religion is not what comes to mind, no matter how evil the gods they are worshiping. I think that the Black Legion is still the most pure Chaos faction by far, and seconded by the renegade chapters. The eight other legions all divert from pure chaos in some way. (Which doesn't make them any less brutal or cool, it just separates them from the image of perfect chaos.)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should not be reading the Horus Heresy Books, the more i read the less i want to continue with my Word Bearers and the more i want to start a loyalist legion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts