Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I've been playing word bearer chaos space marines for over a year now and I'm planning on adding some renegade guard to my army and I'm looking for some ideas on what units I should add on. My army is mostly infantry based with the exception of a helldrake and a few vehicles.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey Nacho!

I have been planning something very similar for a while! A Word Bearers force with allied IG but my IG are not renegade, they were all born and raised on worlds in control of chaos (Word Bearers) so are just as fanatical and anti imperial as the imperials are to them!

Before I start waffling are you after tips on what units from the allied guard you should add to your army in a gaming setting or are you wondering what you should use for your traitors?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you are using guard as allies, make the heavy choice the Hydra - kills flyers and people with equal ease. I'm the other way around - Chaos Guard force with Chaos marine allies.
Guard are the anchor - solid blocks of infantry and artillery, the marines the offensive element. Not played much 6th but this has proved to be pretty good combo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have also had this same idea. I recently began rebuilding me Word Bearers army after a few years of mild neglect. I am currently working on modeling up some IG as renegade planetary defense forces and am planning on running 20 man mixed squads of 10 autogun cultists and 10 IG ( just to be a little more fluffy). I don't have a codex for IG, but my plan was to to run a Priest (I think those are still HQs) and just more masses of infantry. Nothing too special. Sorry I'm not too much help.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Guard will provide you with a solid static gunline to free up your marines to be the assault elements of the force. If you use guard as your primary army, you can get plenty of dead ard armour for low cost. And Chimelta vets are never a bad idea.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have the same idea. id like to have some skatarii for my iron hands to fight with.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Recommendation:

Company Command Squad with lascannon and 2 grenade launchers in a Chimera with camo netting - 155

Sly Marbo - 65

Platoon - 180
- Platoon Command Squad with 4x flamers (goes in Vendetta)
- Infantry Squad with flamer, autocannon
- Infantry Squad with flamer, autocannon

Vendetta Gunship - 130

Heavy Support is where you get the real freedom of choice. A base standard Leman Russ, a Manticore, or a Basilisk all work wonders. A Hydra, as others have said here, is great for taking out flyers and enemy skimmers.

Aegis Defense Line with quad-gun 100

That makes 630 points, plus about 150-ish more for whatever heavy support choice you pick. If you want to ladle more into the allied detachment, go for a second platoon of infantry with the infantry squads kitted out the same way, but the platoon command squad with 2 grenade launchers and an autocannon in a Chimera, instead.

Aaaand there you have a very solid allied Traitor Guard detachment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts