Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being completely new to the concept of forums i'm 99% sure i'll have no idea what im doing and get everything wrong. That being said, I honestly don't think that it would be any different to me writing it down on my piece of paper, which is what I usually do. So here goes, Note that this is 'NOT' ment to be competative and is generally more of a fluffy list, which is how I like it.

HQ
Daemon Prince: Wings, MoT, Warptime - 175
Daemon Prince: Wings, MoT, Warptime - 175

Summoned Greater Daemon - 100

Elites
Chosen x5: 5 Meltaguns, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino - 185

Terminators x10: 2 Chain Fists, 8 Combi-Meltas, 2 Lighting Claws, IoCG - 400

Troops
CSM Squad x10: 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion, IoCG, Rhino - 230

Summoned Lesser Daemons x7 - 91

Daemon Prince: Mark Of Tzeentch, Wings, Warptime - 175
Daemon Prince: Mark Of Tzeentch, Wings, Warptime - 175

Because this is an attempt at a fluffy Word Bearers list, the already incredibly effective Dual DP built fits this list like a glove. Mark of Tzeentch was chosen because a 4+ ward save seems to make a huge difference. Khorne would also be a decent option if it didn't prevent me from taking Warptime. With Warptime my Princes are pretty much guaranteed 5 wounds on the charge, and can happily munch on MEQ and TEQ squads, striking first before they can bring their power fists to bear.

Summoned Greater Daemon - 100

The more and more I think about it, the less I can understand why this guy isn't included in every CSM list. If you include the cost of an Aspiring champion (because he also costs you one of those) you pay 130 points for an absolute CC monsters. The ability to assault the moment he comes on the board makes him incredibly effective at getting stuck in, and with 3 4+ invulnerable save T5/T6 monstrous creatures flying around I certainly have enough target saturation. I'll be using a Balrog model for this guy because the thought of assembling the metal greater deamon kits makes my head hurt.

Chosen x5: 5 Meltaguns, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino - 185

Normally a mainstay of my vanilla CSM list, these guys are of even added importance now. Not only are they excellent at bringing down heavy armor, but their ability to come in unscathed via outflanking and deliver a cheap icon to the enemy backfield is most enticing.

Terminators x10 - 400
Chain Fist, Combi-Melta x2
Combi-Melta x6
Lightning Claws x2
Icon of Chaos Glory

I've always been a big fan of CSM termies. Their models are excellent, and they are the cheapest terminators in the game. They have also retained their ability to be fully customizable unlike the terminators of other armies. Obviously such a big unit is an odd site, seeing as how they won't fit in a Land Raider (considered a poor choice) and they have a massive deepstrike footprint. I imagine in about 50% of my games these guys will be deep striking, using one of my 4 icons on the board to hit the table without mishap. Their ability to nuke a vehicle on the drop is quite helpful, and after that there's still 10 power weapon toting 2+/5+ models there. Other times I'll start them on the table in a big line with max coherency and form a "try and go here" line that advances up the table and can soak up massive amounts of firepower. There isn't much in this game that can handle 10 terminators in close combat. The one tweak I've been considering is giving these guys an Icon of Tzeentch, but that is obviously very un-fluffy for Word Bearers.

Chaos Space Marines x10: 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino - 230
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino - 230

The core of the army, and really no better value in the game IMO. 690 points for 30 marines in Rhinos and 6 meltaguns is awesome. These units will be responsible for forming a moving wall between my Princes and the enemy, zooming up as fast as possible and popping smoke before whithering the storm. They can then call in aid in the form of my Daemons or safely warp in the massive block of terminators before zooming around and destroying light infantry/vehicles. I've decided to keep the champs naked, since every game one of them will be sacrificed to the warp and return as an all powerful demi-god of destruction. Take that Aztecs!

The final nail in the fluff-coffin, my Bloodletters....errr Summoned Lesser Daemons. 91 points for a unit that can crank out 21 Str 4 WS 4 attacks on the charge is quite a deal, and they are scoring! They would be excellent as tarpits against low attack high damage models (dreadnoughts especially) and give me 51 scoring T4 models in this list, which is quite impressive! In pretty much all instances except kill points, having three units of 7 is better than having two units of ten.

I'd love to hear any and every thoughts anyone may have on the list. Not the best obviously, but I feel a darn good one. If anyone spots ANY fluff related faults, PLEASE tell me. Instantly, like click the "Quick Reply" Type and Post it, as soon as you feel you know the problem clearly enough. Ofcourse you'd have to explain to me how my almighty, and generally superior brain power could have missed any fluff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would just consider dropping down the termies down. that is a huge amount of points for them. But if you want termies give them a ride to go in. that way you have at least a little more anti tank from long range. other than that pretty nifty list

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I don't like the MoT. Its a mark that shows your willingness to accept wounds. I would use the MoT if you wanted to use multiple warp abilities. I'd use MoN or MoS. But thats just my opinion.

Terminators: If your just using the terminators because they are cheap and you like the models, your better off just termiciding them with combi-meltas. Honestly, its a good tactic and it may prove to me more effective than upgrading them the way you did and wasting the points. Even space marine terminators are really that effective unless you get storm shields with them. In this case the best option to get due to the fact you don't have storm shields is a Land Raider. A pretty debatable unit to use, as it is about 220 pts, and it is expensive. You probably will need to upgrade it as well with daemonic possession. If you ever decide to take this step, than perhaps it would be a good idea to use terminators. And even then I'd only go four with a lord or a good hero. Making this unit really expensive and competively questionable. These terminators in this situation are better off with the MoS and Lightning claws. Your hero will have the nasty attacks.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
both the posts listed have very good advice, however, if you choose to follow a different train of thought, you could drop the Greater Daemon to give your Chosen squad an Aspiring Champ and increase the sizes of your Summoned Daemon squads.

the advice on the termies is solid. i wouldn't take that many termies unless you plan to foot slog and i'd get two Reaper ACs and IoT. not the most tactically sound way of taking termies, but on the table top, it would look cool.

good hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can see how the terminators don't look effective in the ways I intend to use them, but honestly I was aiming for a fun way to use them. Termicide is something I despise, and that is why I intend to only be deepstriking my termies behind or beside a High Valued Target, (HQs, Landraiders and the sort) when they have reasonable backup. Plus who wouldn't be scared if ten terminators popped up right behind you.

Now that I look at it cloesly the rest of the list does already have considerable tank hunting power, so I might go ahead and get an assault orientated terminator squad. And maybe add in that landraider, though it would ruin all my fun. :(

Dropping my greater demon, is OUT OF THE QUESTION, not even if you gave me a reaver titan to replace it with. I have big plans for that guy and he isn't going anywhere.

In regard to the MoN or MoS instead of MoT, I think MoT wins. With Tzeentch I get my 4+ Invulnerable save, whereas with Nurgle I get increased toughness. Weapons such as the plasma gun are still going to wound me through that extra toughness with relative ease, then chew up my armour save. So my 4+ is really useful in that instance, and to me wins over nurgle. Against slaanesh I see no reason to take it apart from Lash of Submission, which Firstly I don't intend to choose over my warp time, and secondly is pointless as I have nothing to lash things into. While taking opponents off objectives at the last second is useful, i'd rather just slam into them and wipe them off the board entirely. Alot more fun to me, which is what i'm aiming for.

So things that I might change:
-Mow down the number of termies down to five
-Get a landraider to keep them inside of.
-Get lightning claws for each terminator.
-Adding more lesser daemons with freed points.

Now with the freed up points if I decide to take up the boring old terminators in the land raider what should I put that into? Do any squads require beefing up? Daemons aside.

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
I have a few thoughts and comments about this list.

First I'm intrigued by your statement that ' this is an attempt at a fluffy Word Bearers list, the already incredibly effective Dual DP built fits this list like a glove'. If we are discussing fluff IMO no it doesn't. First they are MOT, which can be cosidered unfluffy and also since when do two daemon princes ever lead a WB host? Take one plain with warptime and wings and maybe add a Terminator Champ to that squad you are intent on keeping as your Coryphaus.

Next I would strongly recommend you get Powerfists on those champs. I always hated how they are seemingly mandatory in most peoples eyes, but they really are. I'm currently playtesting my own 1500pt WB army and in my recent game (which I will be posting as a BR soon) my champion with a PF smacked down a Trygon, if he hadn't been there that squad would have been barely able to scratch a MC and could do nothing against a Dreadnought.

Finally since my playtesting I actually prefer LD in units of ten so they are strong enough to either tie up a strong single model unit for a while, or reliably challenge weaker enemy units.

Other than that is seems like a pretty good list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I have contradicted my self in that i've said that Tzeentch is unfluffy and still included it on my Princes. And indeed having two daemon princes will generally not occur in a WB host. In addition to that i've also said that it's not primarily a competative list and more of a fun one, and Dual DPs are seen as a competative step. These facts actually don't deter me too much from using the Dual Daemon princes with MoT, simply because while I don't intend EVERYTHING to be incredibly competative I would like to think I still have a "chance" at being competative. And yes it goes against the fluff but im willing to make a little sacrifice in terms of fluff in exchange for a little but more fun and competativness.

PF can still be added though to each squad as i've cleared up enough points by taking off five terminators. I'll be posting up a revised list soon the changes being:
-Five terminators now with LC and IoS
-Landraider to role the terminators inside of.
-Add 3 LD to each squad.
-And if the points allow it, take PF on each champ in the squad.

The reason I kept my champions plain was because each game one of the three would be sacrificed to put in the greater daemon, I would feel better if I wasn't sacrificing someone who could potentially do alot of damage on his own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts