Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For pre heresy word bearers which red do you think is more suitable, Khorne Red or Wazdakka red? I've read Wazdakka may be to bright, but I'm not sure if Khorne is the right shade either, any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Wazdakka is too bright I'd say. Khorne red doesn't really exist in their new paint scheme of things I don't think, and Mephiston Red is just a touch brighter. This picture is one of the better ones I've taken capturing the way the new reds look after I am through with them (focus is on the leg), is it close to what you're going for? I could at least describe how I got to this point if it helps.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I think if you did Wazdakka and then did a wash of Agrax Earthshade it would bring it down to the shade you wanted?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Weren't pre heresy WB grey? I can't remember at what point they turned red

Anyway, I'd err on the side of a darker red. I don't think you can go too dark, some of the nicest Word Bearers I've seen have been a really dark red. Pretty much the darkest you could go would look like the terminator on page 75 of the codex (wish I could find a picture) and that guy looks awesome. On the other hand if you went a bit too light they'd look too Blood Angel for my liking

Try a few schemes on the spare parts you get in plastic kits. For my Alpha Legion I tried 6 different blue schemes before trying a really dark one which I settled on

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Weren't pre heresy WB grey? I can't remember at what point they turned red

It was after the Shaming of Monarchia. I think Lorgar meets with Magnus and then the legion undertakes the Pilgrimage and the paint themselves red.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
For mine I used Blood Red with two coats of Magenta ink.

Did I mention I painted them in '02?

·
Registered
533 Posts
It was after the Shaming of Monarchia. I think Lorgar meets with Magnus and then the legion undertakes the Pilgrimage and the paint themselves red.
That makes sense, thanks. I look forward to rereading The First Heretic, it's been by far the best Word Bearers depiction in the HH series

For mine I used Blood Red with two coats of Magenta ink.

Did I mention I painted them in '02?
I did something similar, a couple of years after you (shortly after the IA article for WB came out). Scab red with a coat of magenta ink. Without any highlighting or blending it created a really nice deep red colour that I'd recommend to anyone going for a simple, easy to paint red. Almost a decade later I'm doing a more difficult theme on my power armour with a lot of time consuming edge highlighting, and I'm not convinced it's all that much better than what I did with my WB

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Khorne red doesn't really exist in their new paint scheme
Khorne Red does exist and personally I think it would be the perfect base. It's a dark and less shiny red than many of the alternatives.

I would go with khorne Red, a shade of Carrobourg Crimson and highlight the tops against with Khorne Red. There you go, blood for the blood god.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Personally i always wanted a Metallic Red for Word Bearers but the Red Glaze doesnt tint Silver well at all so no luck with that. Id recommend Khorne Red, washed, with maybe Mephiston as a Highlight

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I want them to look darker than my blood letters, I'm only doing the terminators and gal vorbak in red, the standard troops are going to be in the traditional grey with silver trims but I'm going to give them all red helms to show their transition into turning red. It's noted they didn't all wear red, that only started with the gal vorbak and serrated sun chapter but it was gradually adopted by the rest of the legion.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Khorne Red does exist and personally I think it would be the perfect base.
:blush: ....I even own it. It would definitely be the perfect base, for some reason those streams got crossed in my mind.

I have gotten some cool darker reds by using purple and carroburg washes.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's how the model has turned out so far. So far it's been painted khorne red, with a black wash and highlighted with khorne red again. The metal has had leadbelcher with a black wash and a leadbelcher highlight, the black has has a thin layer of mechanicus standard grey followed by a black wash and a edge highlight of mechanicus standard grey.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I use Wazdakka as my Mephiston red highlight before hitting it with Bloodletter Glaze and it's pretty awesome. I feel like it might look good with a Nuln/Agrax mixed wash afterward to bring it closer to Khorne red, though the reason I don't use the Carroburg wash on my BA is because it's a more purpley (for lack of an appropriate word) look than I want. It might blend the Wazdakka and the Khorne nicely, but I haven't gone the lengths to try it.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you think of the general shade of the red, I didn't want it to be the bright red of blood angels but a darker more menacing colour similar to the scheme from the FW HH books but I'm wondering whether I went to far.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you're using Khorne as a base, you'll have to get pretty into it with the highlights to hit a Blood Angels kind of red. I'd say you're where you should be for the base of this application. Since I don't have the HH books, are you shooting for a red like the way Kor Phaeron is painted on the FW site?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're using Khorne as a base, you'll have to get pretty into it with the highlights to hit a Blood Angels kind of red. I'd say you're where you should be for the base of this application. Since I don't have the HH books, are you shooting for a red like the way Kor Phaeron is painted on the FW site?
Equally if you have the codex chaos space marines, I'm kind of going for something like the word bearer terminator on page 75 in the middle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts