Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something odd i noticed but cannot find confirmation of and just wanted to get some feedback on: In the WB Omnibus the Host's Coryphaus' first name is Kol but in the 3rd book the Coryphaus for a different Host's name is also Kol...is this a title rather than a name? Is it a natural part of becoming a Coryphaus or was this just an oddity on Anthony Reynold's part?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
(I haven't read the Word Bearers Series in years so bear with me) It's not entirely clear. Kol Badar (Coryphaus of the 34th Host) was known by that name pre-Heresy (as mentioned in Scions of the Storm), and there is no mention of the prefix "Kol" being a pre-Heresy title or honour elsewhere. I would thus assume that "Kol Badar" was simply his name.

So this leaves us with two options: either "Kol" became a post-Heresy title or honorific for the Coryphaus of a Host, or by coincidence (or due to some Colchisian naming ritual) both Coryphaus' in question had "Kol" as part of their name. The problem with concluding with the former is that that would mean part of Kol Badar's name (the "Kol" part) became an honorific title after the Heresy, even though it was already inherent in his name. This could mean that the title "Kol" (if it is one) was named intentionally after Kol Badar - though that seems a bit sentimental and out-of-character for the Word Bearers post-Heresy. That leaves us with the latter option, that is was simply a coincidence that both Coryphaus shared the same "Kol" in their names.

I'm not sure though. It's actually a very interesting question, I would be interested to hear off the author.

EDIT: I've done some digging and apparently "Kol" is a title given to the war-leader of a host (according to the Word Bearers Series - though I cannot personally verify this as I don't have my copies of the novels anymore). If this is true, this means it is either a coincidence that Kol Badar already had "Kol" as part of his name pre-Heresy or the title "Kol" for the Coryphaus of a Host was named after him, or in his honour. :laugh:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EDIT: I've done some digging and apparently "Kol" is a title given to the war-leader of a host (according to the Word Bearers Series - though I cannot personally verify this as I don't have my copies of the novels anymore). If this is true, this means it is either a coincidence that Kol Badar already had "Kol" as part of his name pre-Heresy or the title "Kol" for the Coryphaus of a Host was named after him, or in his honour. :laugh:
Works for me i suppose, it just never came out and said anything about it in the Omnibus so it troubled me and i actually got confused whenever it mentioned the 2 characters on close pages

1 - 3 of 3 Posts