Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of us are going to be having a gaming bash in the New Year and a mate of mine is proposing taking a Word Bearers list, so I had a crack at coming up with one that was both fluffy and (hopefully) general-purpose useful:

HQ
• Dark Apostle
- Mark of Nurgle; The Burning Brand of Skalathrax; Veteran of the Long War
150 points

ELITES
• 5 Possessed
- Mark of Khorne
145 points

TROOPS
• 10 Chaos Marines
– combi-bolter (champion); 2 meltaguns; close-combat weapons; Veterans of the Long War; Rhino with combi-bolter
233 points
• 20 Cultists – 3 autoguns; 2 flamers
108 points
• 20 Cultists – 2 flamers
105 points

FAST ATTACK
• Heldrake
- Hades autocannon
170 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 8 Havocs
– 4 autocannons
154 points
• Predator – heavy bolter sponsons, combi-bolter; Warpflame Gargoyles
105 points

HQ
• Herald of Nurgle
- Plague Flail; Lesser Locus of Virulence; Mastery Level 1
90 points

TROOPS
• 10 Plaguebearers

90 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• Soul Grinder
– Daemon of Nurgle
150 points

TOTAL
1,500 points

Mark-wise, I went for Nurgle on the Apostle purely for the T5 for more survivability; Khorne on the Possessed for more attacks on the charge to make them nasty elite CC chargers, and Nurgle on the Soul Grinder for Shrouded as much as anything else. Now technically Word Bearers would be Undivided more than any one particular one of the Big Four, but since the current Codex: Chaos Marines lacks a Mark of Chaos Undivided (unforgivably, in my eyes) a smattering of other Marks adds to individual units.

This is my first try at a Word Bearers list, and it's for a mate, so all C&C is welcomed :)

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
In before the "Apostle and possessed has to go" suggestions. I would absolutely love to hear how they performed, so please do keep them! It's nice to see a list that doesn't necessarily keep the standard units and tries to experiment a bit.

One question though; Why bring 8 havocs, if you can only put 4 autocannons in there? What would the rest be doing?

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One question though; Why bring 8 havocs, if you can only put 4 autocannons in there? What would the rest be doing?
They're ablative armour for when the unit takes some wounds.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ill do a run through:

Dark Apostle: Nice but should either be in a transport to get to CC or herding a 35 man group of CC Cultists.

Possessed: Fun choice, but they really need transport.

CSM: if your going melta then try this:

10x CSM - 215pts
+ 2x Meltaguns
+ Champion Combi-Melta
+ Rhino
+ Rhino Combi-Melta

Saves you 15pts and is more focused in their role. You don't need Vets or a combi-bolter champ.

Cultists: These guys cant mix weapons, its all autoguns or all auto pistols and CCW. You then purchase upgrades. TBH these guys should either be 35 man CC unit with a few Flamers or a ten man that have no upgrades at all.

Heldrake: Nice AA and useful for getting shots off on rear armour of say a Leman Russ.

Havocs: Awesome

Predator: Don't bother with Warpflame Gargoyles, it never earns its points back. nor the combi-bolter. just keep it as a cheap Dakka pred or upgrade the hvy bolters to Lascannons and give yourself some ranged AT. Maybe try and find points for another Pred here. They work best in pairs.

Herald: swap Locus to FNP and drop plague flail for Etherblade. Gives u the option for either MC AP2 at str5 or ur plague sword with 4+ poison and Touch of rust.

PB: fine though I would take more bodies

SG: No phlegm? Nurgle SG with Phlegm is one of the more powerful things we have access to, and it's worth the points. just remember to snap fire your harvester if u fire your cannon shot.

TBH I think daemons-wise a Tzeentch Herald hiding in a squad of basic Horrors would be better, as u can then use presicence to twin-link ur pred or SG, or even your melta squad if u get close enough. You can GTG and still use blessings just fine.

Nice to see more people using Chaos allies.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Possessed...
They have the demon special rule so they can be grimoired by an attached CD HQ for a 3++. Last time I used them I took 15 and gave them a 3++. It was great fun :grin:

·
Registered
430 Posts
You can also do that with Warp talons....*shudders*

·
Registered
430 Posts
and Bel'akor for a 2++, with invisabitlity, fleshbane, Armourbane....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
and Bel'akor for a 2++, with invisabitlity, fleshbane, Armourbane....
What the...I don't even... :shok:
:russianroulette:

But in the meantime
@Svartmetall - I really like the list, it looks good fun - I'd be intrigued to know how your mate gets on with the Dark Apostle - I've never rated the Dark Apostle as I prefer lords/sorcerors/DP's so I've never taken one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What the...I don't even...
I second this....

I'd be intrigued to know how your mate gets on with the Dark Apostle - I've never rated the Dark Apostle as I prefer lords/sorcerors/DP's so I've never taken one.
Also, love to know how the DA turns out. I hear that Chaplains are ok in combat (and a DA is the same as a chaplain)... except a chaplain can wear terminator armour and look more bad ass. Nothing I can really add that others haven't already said

1 - 10 of 10 Posts