Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to everyone as this is my first post, it seems you have a good lively community here.

I am thinking of starting up a Chaos army based on my take on the Word Bearers - that they are a fanatical austere dedicated outfit concerned above all else with worshipping the dark gods, and above all Lorgar, and spreading the "truth" of their worship across the galaxy. I figure them less as the stereotypical "evil destroyer" archetype wanting to destroy worlds than as ruthless crusaders executing all those on a planet who would not turn to their gods but allowing those who do to live on as second-class citizens providing they continued to show appropriately rigidly orthodox worship of the Chaos gods.

I imagine them hating the Imperium, particularly the more devout elements, with a passion but equally despising those, such as the Red Corsairs, who to them appear to be trying to abuse the Chaos gods for their own ends rather than truly worshipping them.

Anywho enough fluffy rambling.

Daemon Prince 1 Wings, Warp Time

Chaos Space Marines 10
Aspiring Champion (with power weapon), Rhino
Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x plasma guns

Chaos Space Marines 10
Aspiring Champion (with power weapon), Rhino
Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x plasma guns

Raptors 5
Aspiring Champion (+2 Lightning Claws)
Icon of Khorne

Terminators 5
Champion (modelled as the Dark Apostle)

Chosen 5 Icon of Chaos Glory

Havocs 5 3 Missile Launchers

Predator 1 Turret lascannons, heavy bolter sponsons

Predator 1 Turret lascannons, heavy bolter sponsons

Total 1500.

The idea is to produce a balanced army capable of hanging back and shooting down a close combat dedicated enemy but also of closing quickly with a more shooty force. Obviously the Chosen will usually infiltrate and try to drop the termies on some vulnerable bit of line whilst the Prince and Raptors try to work through cover to get a good charge; and the rest either holds still or advances, either way with all guns blazing.

I worry a bit that the AT strength is a bit fragile, fine if the preds are alive but once they burn up then it all disappears.

Any ideas or criticism welcome (constructive please:p)

:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I like the list as it seems nicely balanced for all comers whilst having a variety of different options in the list.
The only things i think might need re-evaluating are the chosen and havocs. the havoc's seem too small and i would be worried that a few early casualties would mean you losing hvy weapons, whilst the chosen i feel need some specialst equipment so they cabn make the most of there infiltrate and options. Therefore adding in meltaguns or plasmaguns could make them great close range tank and elite infantry hunters, or equiping them with powerfists/lightning claws/powerweapons could make them a very scary cc unit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The list looks good, but a huge influence on World Bearers are Daemons. For the most fluffy WB list possible, add some Greater or Lesser Daemons.

That said, I don't have any Daemons in my Word Bearers army.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks for that Jigplum

yeah i wondered about the havocs but figured that two guys in power armour is reasonable ablative armour, and i dont wont to spend too much on what is more of a support squad; but i do get what you are saying.

Chosen wise again you are absolutely right and I would love to gear them up to back up the terminators in close combat....but the points would have to come from somewhere and I am not sure what I would want to lose.

The initial list didnt had the rhinos and had souped up Chosen...but I like the flexibility of being able to move around quickly if required.

Will have a think :p

Any more usefuk/inspired advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kharn thanks for your reply,

Yeah I know the Wordbearers are daemon-friendly and I imagine I would add some if the army was bigger. At the moment I am thinking more along the lines of a dark red army of fanatic space marines, each with scripture from the Book of Lorgar attached to his armour, advancing under ornate banners depicting the gods and singing sonorous hymns as they advance across shell-holed, barren battlefields...

...kind of like how I imagine every Black Templar and Sister of Battle would be if they werent so uptight :p

Cultists would fit nicely with that image I think...after all someone has to clear the minefields :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts