Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"We killed thousands, yet still they came. A living tide of traitors, herded by armoured giants in red armour like so much cattle into the teeth of our guns, chanting that damnable litany that infests my head still. They waded, knee deep in blood, yet still they came. All to the horrid cadence of pounding drums, a driving beat that stretched the nerves of my men to breaking point, and a droning mindless chant. Yet for all the cruel disregard their masters showed, every traitor died with a beatific smile upon his face..."- Colonel Johann Adronia (Word Bearers IA)

I've been trying out different armies trying to pick a second cult army I liked. But after reading the Word Bearers trilogy and wanting to field a CSM army that can lay down a huge torrent of firepower I figured I'd give Lorgar's legion a try. I used the Mark of Tzeentch to represent their faith in the Chaos gods. And it makes for a really cool Daemon Prince! What do you guys think of the following? I'd like to try and stay somewhat fluffy but competitive at the same time.

Dark Apostle (Daemon Prince) 205 Points
- Wings, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime, Wind of Chaos

The Annointed (Terminators) (5) 280 Points
- Icon of Tzeentch, Power Fist (5), Combi-melta (4), Reaper Autocannon

Word Bearers (10) 280 Points
- Champion w/ Power Fist, Icon of Chaos Glory
- Plasmagun (2), Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Defiler 175 Points
- Havoc Launcher, Twin-linked Lascannon

Defiler 175 Points

Defiler 175 Points

1850/1850 Points

·
Registered
86 Posts
What most will suggest is drop plasmas from your CSM units for melta,take MoS/Lash on the DP, drop the Defilers for Oblits or take 2 CCW's on the Defilers. As these are the most popular options for CSM's . However it looks to be like a fun list w/ some odd vesatility that might take your opponents by suprise. As to how competitive this list is I've never used it so I can't say,but it looks like it'd be fun to play.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I already thought about most of that having proxied an Emperor's Children army. But I don't like fielding the same old army eveyone else is. Just look at my 3 Land Raider 3 Dreadnought World Eaters army. Which has crushed my buds Leafblower army 3 times in a row with ease. Sometimes the unexpected is hard to deal with. :crazy:

Though after reading page 58 about ordanance I may want to rethink my Defilers and go with Oblits or Havocs. Maybe even Vindicators. I need something that is gonna punch through armour. It would be either fire the havoc launcher and lascannon OR the battlecannon with the Defilers.

I think the Tzeentch Prince is the toughest one to kill and the one with the most damage potential. Use Warptime at the begining of your turn. Fly up to an enemy unit and Wind of Chaos it. Then reroll all your fails to wound. Finally charge and reroll all your fails to hit and wound. Hell, the more I think about it 2 of them might be a good idea. Or a second Prince with lash... :wacko:

Any ideas without going to the stereotypical but highly effective Lash army?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Firstly lash is nice but its not a gamebreaker.. You dont need it to win games.

Okay nice idea this list but needs some fine tuning..

Love the fluffy daemon prince he is fine. (Although hes not the toughest to kill. The nurgle one is easily)

Drop the lascannons and havocs on your defilers.. you dont want them expensive and you cant fire the cannon and those anyways. (As you have quite rightly noticed.) You could drop 1 of the defilers and all their upgrades and fit in 3 Obliterators in its place. I run my defilers with 3DCCW and a flamer. Then if the cannon goes pop you can run forward and tear hell out of everything.

I am not a fan of weapons on Rhinos. You would be better off with Extra Armour so they have better chance of reaching their destination.

Your combi-meltas/Reaper on the terminators make me think that you are going to use them to open up transports and attack the passengers.. If I am right then why do they all have powerfists? You want to be attacking first not last. I run my terminators with 2 combi-meltas and chainfists and 3 sets of lightning claws. This means the squad can deal with walkers, vehicles and troops alike making them your swiss-army-unit.

+Rep by the way for your fluffy list

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make some excellent points Hesky. And I have reworked my list with those in mind. It looks very lethal IMO :victory:

Dark Apostle (Daemon Prince) 205 Points
- Wings, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime, Wind of Chaos

The Annointed (Terminators) (5) 255 Points
- Icon of Tzeentch, Chain Fist (2), Combi-melta (2), Pair of Lighting Claws (3)

Word Bearers (10) 290 Points
- Plasmagun (2), Rhino w/ Extra Armour, Pintle Combi-melta

Word Bearers (10) 290 Points
- Plasmagun (2), Rhino w/ Extra Armour, Pintle Combi-melta

Word Bearers (10) 285 Points
- Plasmagun (2), Rhino w/ Extra Armour, Pintle Twin-linked Bolter

Defiler 150 Points
- Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamer, 3 DCCW

Defiler 150 Points
- Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamer, 3 DCCW

Obliterators (3) 225 Points

1850/1850 Points

Cast down the idols! Destroy the temples! Slay the priests! Show these fools that they worship nothing more than a rotting corpse!

·
Registered
941 Posts
looks good, but as the fluff master of the word bearers, I say you need more summond daemond, WBs are big on those!:eek:k:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'd love to try and fit some in somewhere for fluff but I'm so disappointed in the CSM version of Daemons after playing a pure Khorne daemon army. No power weapons, low number of attacks, low WS and Init. The only thing I like about them is they can assualt the turn they arrive.

Man I'm gonna be busy. I wanna start this new army and build a chaos temple gaming table. We will see how my Grey Knight playing buddies like that! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
actually summoned deamons aren't bad for their points. you get a MEQ stat line with 3 attacks on a garunteed charge. i would drop one unit of marines and the terminators and take 2 units of 20 summoned lesser deamons. that should rip apart pretty much any kind of unit in CC.

·
Registered
941 Posts
now that'd be fluffy!:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts