Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... the wolves are finally here!

Having finally worked out the various army lists that we might want to play (500 & 750 points army for daughter's school club, 1000 & 1500 points variation for my own pleasure), I'm now committing the minis to glue.

First up would be the basic 500pt army consisting of:

HQ - Wolf Guard Battle Leader with 2 Fenrisian Wolves
Troops - 2 packs of 7x Grey Hunters

These have now been primed and will be painted over the course of this week... as usual under yet another tight deadline as these have been requested for by the daughter for this Friday's School Warhammer Club*! A simply legal army to get her started with her school-mates. We'll progress to additional Elite (Wolf Guard Terminators) and Heavy Support (Long Fangs, her favourites!) units once she gets used to the general rules and tactics.

* Yes, Daddy will be painting the wolves for now so as not to distract the daughter from completing the painting of her Skaven and High Elves armies!

So here is the first picture for this log... bits all primed and waiting to be painted!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I look forward to following this plog as well :so_happy:

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Base Coating

And here's what was achieved last evening after putting the kids to bed. Base coat spraying... Setting up took longer than the actual spraying but would have been even worst had I simply used the brush on individual minis!

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Progress so far

With only evenings available, I was never going to finish all 15 minis in 4 days... especially with having the deal with mould lines! This was what I managed for use at this afternoon's school club. Not the best but sufficiently decent for the daughter to learn the basics in school using 1 HQ and a 7-trooper team.

Meet Wolf Guard Battle Leader, Kolmar Hammerfang, and his Grey hunters...

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice paint job. The flesh and bone look very good. The group pic needs more colour though. I always found SWs hair a great way to add colour to a pack. A blonde or red head thrown in breaks up the colour, and every pack needs a ginge to pick on.:grin:
Thanks for the suggestion on the hairs. I totally agree with you on this. Just need to figure out the "recipe" for redheads and the obligatory ginge!!!

Nice looking wolves, loking forward to seeing some more

Rev
Thanks Rev. As requested, here is today's WIP... the Thunderwolf mount! Spent far too much time on the working out the different fur layers and got a wee bit carried away with painting paws!!!

Two views of the Thunderwolf...

... and the efforts on the paws (only one actually visible after mounting on base!!!)

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just use one of the oranges washed heavily with sepia, and dry brushed with the orange again. Simple, quick and effective.

Nice TW by the way.
Thanks for the tip... just need to get me some orange paint now!

Anyhow, managed to "finish" my first Thunderwolf Cavalry this morning. Good enough for now. Hopefully will improve with a bit more practice in the coming months.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This weekend's efforts

Here's a wrap-up of the weekend's efforts.

Thunderwolf Cavalry is already posted above so will not be posted again. The rest have been given a bit more attention to the detailing (to the best of my current abilities anyway). Hadn't realise that these SW had soooo much individual detailing required! No shoulder pads yet as I'm still trying to figure out the colour schemes and what's appropriate on what shoulder...

Group shot of minis so far...

Kolmar Battle Leader

Grey Hunter Pack Leader

Ginger-haired Grey Hunter

Grey Hunter 3

Grey Hunter 4

Grey Hunter 5 - Flamer

Grey Hunter 6

Grey Hunter 7

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great work. I like the transitions on the fur and the washing overall.

My only suggestion is a bit of edging in a lighter blue tone - likely the same blue with some light grey or white blended in. Since the armor is a base/wash you want to distinguish between the various overlapping PA panels. See knees/legs or the elbows/arms.

The flash might be masking the highlights if you've done them, but studying the pics it doesn't look like it.

Would make the minis pop even more. Keep up the great work!

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great work. I like the transitions on the fur and the washing overall.

My only suggestion is a bit of edging in a lighter blue tone - likely the same blue with some light grey or white blended in. Since the armor is a base/wash you want to distinguish between the various overlapping PA panels. See knees/legs or the elbows/arms.

The flash might be masking the highlights if you've done them, but studying the pics it doesn't look like it.

Would make the minis pop even more. Keep up the great work!
Thanks for your comments, CubanNecktie. You're quite right in that there have been NO highlighting done on these.

Main reason was it was a rush job (and still is) for the daughter as her alternate army to use at her school club. The second team of 7x Grey Hunters are currently been done and I'm planning to use the Russ Grey to layer over the washed Fang coating and if I get the time, to have edge highlighting done with Fenrisian Grey. Again it gonna be down to availability of time. Bear in mind that these will see a fair bit of use & abuse at the daughter's school club (school kids aged between 8-10).

I'm building a much larger 2k or 2.5k SW army separately with no real time pressures so that lot will get a bit more care and attention to detail. This initial set is really me getting back into the groove of painting again since my last foray back in 95-6'! :grin:

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
500 Points Army

Made it... more or less! :p

Just a "few" tail ends like 2 Fenrisian wolves, 3 chainswords, 3 bolters, 1 plasma gun, 2 belt crests, 2 Wolf Standards and all the bases to finish up but other than that (ahem!), the school club 500 points army is ready to Rock 'n' Roll this afternoon!

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been a busy week at work but this manage to get a few things on the go this weekend.

First there's the Grey Hunter shoulder pads... metallic pieces so a real pain to file down the bits and mould lines.

Then there were the Fenrisian wolves (x2) that were primed last week. These were finally finished off.

Then got started with putting together with the rest of the Thunderwolf Cavalry unit (x2). After priming the figures, realised that it would be a waste of effort to simply spray-coat two figures in "The Fang" colour... so ended up starting the first of two units of Long Fangs (x5 plus one Squad Leader)!

Looks like its gonna be a busy week to finish these off for next weekend.

This week's tasks...

Completed Fenrisian Wolves

Primed Thunderwolves

Grey Hunter pad

Grey Hunter Flamer with GH Pad

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Looking good. You've a lot going on at the moment. I must pick up some of those fenrisian wolves, but I can't justify paying that much for them when I have a load of the old goblin wolves painted up already. Just need to change the bases.

I used those GH pads as well, and I found painting the wolf head grey helps make it stand out from the rest of the pad.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used those GH pads as well, and I found painting the wolf head grey helps make it stand out from the rest of the pad.
Thanks... that's a brilliant idea. I'll probably do it in gold though to tie in with the main colour scheme. Now to decide on the left shoulder pad scheme!

·
Closet Dictator
3,425 Posts
Excellent painting +rep, my only suggestion would be on the modeling side and would be to drill out the muzzles on the bolters etc, it can me a pain in the ass but really makes the model pop as they say.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Ah, these have come on a bit since I last looked. Really like the way you've painted your TW's, especially the faces and paws.

Don't forget to drill teh barrels of your bolters, would make them look that little bit better (not that they don't look good, they look really good).

What is your plan for the bases?

Rev

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds great Wookie. For easy, quick, and awesome bases here is the vanilla process I use.

Get a Citadel texture paint so you don't need to mess around with glueing and materials. It's awesome. I would pick a colour that contrasts with your armor, but then again if you plan of doing snow, a darker colour may be best.

I like to do a wash on it. Then dry brush with 1 or 2 lighter tones...3 if you're going for a moss/swamp growth on clay/mud kinda feel. Ex. I got the redish brown clay texture, washed devlan mud, drybrushed 2 midtone greens and a mustard yellow and it looked great.

If you go with slate rock chunks and gravel detailing I prefer to glue them prior to the textured paint. Plan out the placement for easy drybrushing later. I've tried a few ways but I prefer superglue on large slate (Citadel basing kit slate always has a flat surface) and white glue on gravel, flock, sand, etc.

Quick and painless way to knock out bases.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts