Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SM Megaforce came in to-day!

So happy!

But can't touch it for abotu a week. I need new glue and some paint thinner.

You guys reccommend any specific thinner? (Not water, I hate dealing with it!)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thinner? Why? Please tell me you are not going to use Enamels? I swear if the word "Testors" comes out your mouth we are going to have words. :D

Please for the love of all that is a Marine Megaforce...DO NOT USE ENAMELS!!! :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if you insist so much of teh h2o..

What is a good rule of thumb for thinning paints? How many layers (of each color) should i do? How thin should layers be?

Say i paint (hypotheically)

Bestial Brown
Then Snakebite leather
then dwarf flesh

Do i paint a thin layer of each? or multiple thin layers of each?

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Hmm... I'd do multiple thin layers. It's like cooking or chemistry or whatever. You can add easily, but taking away is awfully difficult. Dwarf flesh is a bit darker than Snakebite leather, too, so you might want to flip those in the order.

Incidentally, enamel has its uses. Painting terrain that requires slightly thicker paint, like some less-detailed buildings, rock formations, etc. Things you can't spray... testors makes a great undercoat. Personally, I don't touch the stuff, but I know a few too many people who do.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Son of Horus said:
Hmm... I'd do multiple thin layers. It's like cooking or chemistry or whatever. You can add easily, but taking away is awfully difficult. Dwarf flesh is a bit darker than Snakebite leather, too, so you might want to flip those in the order.
Hence the "hypothetically." :?

So, are you saying do multiple layers of each color?

·
Registered
999 Posts
It depends upon what color your primer coat is. You want to have a basecoat layer of paint that coats evenly and does not show the primer coat through it. Then highlight with thin layers of successively lighter colors.

Use acrylic paints only (craft paints like Apple Barel, Folk Art, GW paints, Vallejo, etc.). They are water soluable.

Other paints like enamles and oils are too thick to use on miniatures and will obscure details.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Then do white primer,fortress grey(light grey)and then add layers of white.
Use the grey as shading.adding more white layers to the surfaces that gather more light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts