Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I have so far i believe unless i have a rule wrong it is legal to do what I want but here goes:

Hq
Wolf priest, saga of the hunter 110

Troops
X15 Bloodclaws 225 (joined by wolf priest and 1 wolf guard)

X5 Grey hunters Flamer, power weapon 90

Elites
X3 Wolf guard, X3 power fists 114

X10 Scouts, X2 power weapons 180 (joined by 1 wolf guard)

X10 Scouts, X2 power weapons 180 (joined by 1 wolf guard)

Total 899

The Bloodclaws and 2 scout units go for outflank and the hunters camp on a home objective. I should note this is not a stand alone list, me and 3 friends play teams of 2 on 2 with 1000 points each but none of us know what the others list is till game day to add a bit of randomness to it, so i have gone for the all out attack with little sitting back field.

This leaves me with 101 points to spend which im not sure if a transport or bigger unit for the grey hunters or even just a whole other unit of grey hunters, I have even thought about a unit of grey knights allies with an inquisitor and as many crusaders as i can get to camp an objective too

Anyway let me know what you think and what is the best use of the spare points cheers

·
Registered
936 Posts
Actually I don't think it is legal. There is a difference between a unit that can be held in reserve, like these, and a unit that has to be held there, like fliers and drop pods.

If your trying for something like that, one option would be to replace your scouts with hunters in a drop pod, go with two of those units, throw a pod on your objective sitters and there ya go! Your two big hunter groups stay in reserve, blood claws outflank and you have one hunter squad sit on objective. One more unit on the table and you have your list

A quick example would be:
Wolf Priest with Saga of the Hunter 10
4 Wolf Guard, 3 with Fists 132
5 Grey Hunters, 1 flamer and drop pod 110
9 Grey Hunters with 1 power weapon, flamer and drop pod 185
15 Blood Claws 225
947 points 53 left over points.

This way your blood claws unit outflanks, 2 hunter units drop down, the 5 man hunters' pod is empty. 2 units are in reserve (Priest and Claws), 2 on the table (5 man hunter squad and the lone wolf guard who is hiding somewhere) and the 2 squads in the pods dont count towards your total

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I think I see what you are saying, i can't always outflank everything unless the reserves rule is in effect?

Regardless i think I like your adaption of the list alot more ty for taking the time to help.

Why the 4th wolf guard though if he isn't going to join a unit and just wonder around on his own wouldnt i be better of using his points and the spare ones to make a lone wolf to walk around? Atleast then i get a VP if he gets killed, i can't remember off the top of my head how many points one is in termi armour with TH/SS was around 70

·
Registered
936 Posts
The reserve rule i'm thinking of says you cant have more than half your units in reserve at one time (Deep strike, reserves, outflanking) At least that's how I understand it. Fliers and units in their dedicated transports that HAVE to stay in reserve (Fliers and Drop pods) don't count against you.

In this case you have 2 hunter packs in their drop pods which don't count against you.
Wolf priest and Blood claws count as 2 units due to the interdependent character.
Your 5 man hunter pack and lone wolf guard count towards the two units on the board at the start of the game. Theres your 50/50 split.

18 points isnt much for the ability to have an outflanking blood claw unit. However I love the lone wolf idea!! Lone wolf with a TH/SS will run you 85 points.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see I didn't know about the half your units rule when I wrote the list so thanks for the info again.

Do you think it's worth dropping 1 blood claw to make the points for the lone wolf? Making a list like this:

Wolf Priest with Saga of the Hunter 110
3 Wolf Guard, 3 with Fists 114
Lone wolf, termi armour, TT/SS 85
5 Grey Hunters, 1 flamer and drop pod 110
14 Bloodclaws 210

Total 999

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dropping a blood claw isn't a bad thing, you still have a ton of them.
My only concern with your list is the lack of anti tank. Is that a concern for you?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not overly i mean there are normally a couple of transports at best those necron things that are av13 till penetrated but i think those are still low back av, so nothing i can't over come with an assault from a PF wielding wolf guard.

Plus dont forget this list will be backed by another 1000 point list from someone else so there is always more anti-tank flying about.

I think this list you have helped me with is defo worth a try thank you ce5511

1 - 8 of 8 Posts