Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, for those who have not seen my introduction thread. Im Chris from Wiltshire in England. I used to have a Space Wolves army back in the mid nineties, and loved them so much, that Ive decided to start another one.
Its been over a decade since I daubed paint over power armour so dont expect miracles. Though I hope to see improvement in the coming months.
I purchased the SW codex on release, for a bit of nostalgic reading, and caught the bug. Though its been a while for it to come to fruition.
My darling wife wanted to get me a present, as I was bored at home with busted toes, and she vaguely remembered me with the codex, so I was surprised with a box of wolf guard termies. She didnt want to go ork or eldar, as she wasnt sure what I wanted/needed, so she took the easy option of an army I had nothing for.
Long story short, I was happy and very eager to get on. So threw the guys together, one with TH/SS and four with twin wolf claws. As I have been decimated by assault termies a number of times.
As it was spur of the moment, I have run into a few problems already, though they should all be fixed now for future additions. The first problem being undercoat. I had a part tin of white kicking about the garage, so I used that. Sadly something had gone wrong with it at some point, which made it all blotchy, but some very fine sandpaper resolved the problem mostly. I have seen quitea few colour schemes for the SW recently, and really wanted the light blue style, like my previous SW force. Though not the solid block of SW grey I used previously. I think I only used like 5 colours to paint my guys back then :laugh:
So White was my prefered undercoat. With a base coat of shadow grey, which was dryer than a nuns chuff. As expected, I over thinned it and ended up with more of a glaze than a base coat, but it worked out alright. After the base, I washed with badab black. Then a layer of 1;1 Shadow grey/SW grey, for the much lighter look. Then a Highlight of 3;1 SW grey/ Shadow grey. And a final extreme highlight of SW grey.
Heres some pics of the first guys armour.

I am no expert when it come to painting, so feel free to give me a few pointers. Although I am happy with the overall colour scheme.
Im used to batch painting orks, which are less taxing to paint when fully assembled. The power armour on these guys is horrid to get in under the arms. But luckily, as I had no plastic glue when assembling, I easily managed to pop the SS off of one guy to allow access. I will probably paint them without arms in future.
Basing them was the least of my worries when assembling, but now having seen some cool water effect ice bases, and other types, Im glad I used superglue to assemble them. As I will be popping them off and doing something pretty with the bases at some point.
So thats it for now, I do plan on getting the battleforce soon along with some razorbacks, and the forgeworld rhino doors etc. I will get some more pictures up as I paint, untill then, please feel free to offer tips and advice. It will be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, I am considering wether or not to wash the armour with asurmen blue, or a glaze of a slighter darker mix than the second basecoat to add definition. But Im apprehensive about ruining what I have achieved so far. If anyone has seen a similar technique applied to light blues, can you please link me to it. Cheers :grin:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
Im still chugging away with the armour on the other 4 guys, so no update pics yet. But hope to have something to show for my hardwork in a couple of days.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh crap!
I didnt realise they had a specific side to go on. Once again, I am happy I didnt use plastic glue.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
nice job!

yeah the shoulders have specific sides for the termies, the hole goes on the front, as it were.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Very nice looking start mate, loving the more muted tones. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!
And YAYAYAY finally finished the armour.
Not much of an update, but here they are.

The only kind of fluffy thing I had for my army so far is my concerns about headware. Why on earth would you be trusted to such powerful armour, if you are too stupid to keep your helmets on? Go figure.
But anyway, thats why all my termies have their heads covered. Hopefully, depending on the heads in the battleforce, all of my greyhunters will have helmets too. Bloodclaws can be the young impetuous ones with no helmets, same for the longfangs who have been doing this so long they no longer give a crap. Its always been one of my pet hates with space marines. IC,s obviously will be as they come, unless I feel a helmet would look better.
Due to my complete lack of gymnastic ability, I will paint termies with their arms and pads off in future. Probably the troops too, depending on their pose.
I also put together a wet pallette using a lidded chinese box, which I think is seen on the left of the picture. It is simply one of the greatest discoveries since joining heresy. I love the damn thing!
Now I am spoilt for choice as to what fun bits to paint.

·
Angel Sanguine
642 Posts
They look wery good, I like how you paint your armour.
I am definitely following this log!

On the fluffy part about helmets, it is known that the wolves function better without their helmets (sight, smell and such is improved), but that doesn't stop them from putting them on if they deem it is needed. And yes, I hate the unhelmeted seargant stuff and such myself ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think these are some sweet terminators. Seeing as you have taken a break from the hobby this is quite some way to come back. Personally I think that you could maybe take this colour scheme to the next level and maybe have slightly more progressive highlights, blending up to the colour you have used for your most extreme highlights more subtley, you clearly have the skill required!

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Great looking termies!!

I follow a similar idea and make all my Grey Hunters have helmets, it helps distinguish them from Blood Claws if nothing else. My Wolf Guard are a mixture of helmeted and unhelmeted though.

And let us know how you get on with the wet pallette

Rev

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again guys.

I never took into account the heightened senses, but again fluff wise I think it still works. I imagine the sight and hearing would be improved further, by the addition of whatever tech is inside the helmets. But I can imagine long fangs wanting to be able to sniff out sneaky buggers creeping up behind them etc.
I was concerned about the level of blending when doing the armour, but this wet pallette has opened my eyes to some of the more delicate taskssuch as that. I am currently having a play with the yellow shoulder pads, using more subtle changes, and mixing it up with the previous blend. So I have no idea what ratios the mixes are, but it seems to be working out ok so far. I will try and get a snap up later, if I get them finished. The shoulder pads that is, not the whole minis.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not sure why you would find the wet pallette daunting. I just looked at it as a way to keep paints wet for longer, and it is so far. Ive not experienced problems like others have.

Well, Im not at all happy with my yellow pads. See them in the picture. Im not sure if its me or the paint, but I just couldnt get golden yellow to do a nice coat. It was always blotchy, even straight from the pot. I wanted a darker yellow, and I thought I caught it to my liking. But the finish is crap. I do rather like the deep red I used on the claws and left pads, so I may use that on the right pads as well. Failing that I will get a different pot of yellow and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, they look a lot better in the picture. They are actually a lot lot worse.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts