Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the deal is with the Wolf Lord miniature? I just bought my wife the SW battle force but I can't find a Wolf Lord miniature to buy. GW website doesn't list one. Any ideas? Thanks :scratchhead:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems almost cheesy but o....k.....:scratchhead:

·
Registered
324 Posts
how is that cheesy? why do people insist on calling everything cheesy? the original meaning of the word is terrible, and it's even worse when people start using it for everything. Converting, assembling and painting is a part of the hobby, so you make a wolf lord that suits you with the myriad bits available. That's not cheesy, it's wargaming

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how is that cheesy? why do people insist on calling everything cheesy? the original meaning of the word is terrible, and it's even worse when people start using it for everything. Converting, assembling and painting is a part of the hobby, so you make a wolf lord that suits you with the myriad bits available. That's not cheesy, it's wargaming

offended much? It wasn't a personal attack sir.

None the less not everyone is an accomplished sculptur nor has the time to dedicate to such tasks. Would it be great if i could, yes but for the moment just finding time to get my commonly available mini's in a table top acceptable paint scheme has to be enough for me. :(

sorry for asking a mundane question.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
no, don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with questions (hell, if I did I wouldn't be here), and I don't have an issue with people not being master sculptors (I'm pretty terrible at it myself). The only thing I have an issue with is the word cheesy. Reading again what I wrote it looks a bit harsh, and I apologize for that, it's just that it seems everything is cheese this cheese that nowadays

anyway, you don't need to sculpt anything, what I did was I decided on some of the more impressive pieces (big wolf cloak for ex) I'd only use them on characters, then they're easier to identify. Or get an impressive looking weapon from BitsandKits (probably from a chaos kit or so) so he's easily identified. The bonus is that you also get it in plastic, since a dedicated model would be invariably metal

hope that is more helpful,

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome, thanks for the tips on BitsandKits, I hadn't heard of them before. We were looking for something distinctive for my wives SW army and was upset that the only HQ's for SW was the named miniatures. This should make it easier to field a wolf lord without having to be locked into the named mini's stats.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I wouldnt use a Wolf Lord, to be honest, Get a rune priest. Wolf Lords become very expensive, very fast, and are not worth their points, imo. Rune priests / Wolf priests are where the monies at. Wolf priests are a pain to get a model for even more then wolf lords since they have no actual model yet (second wave better have one) the rune priests, on the other hand: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440279a&prodId=prod1101903
have a pretty nice one.

but if you insist on a wolf lord, mix and match with the "space marine commander" box set if you dont want to use the general extras from the box sets. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440279a&prodId=prod1050240 with a few extras from the wolf set would be excellent additions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips, we are both new to 40K so any advice is greatly appreciated. I was kinda thinking a rune priest would be a necessity for JotWW at least for instant goodness, lol.... :laugh:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
thanks for the tips, we are both new to 40K so any advice is greatly appreciated. I was kinda thinking a rune priest would be a necessity for JotWW at least for instant goodness, lol.... :laugh:
actually JotwW is only a niche ability that only works, half the time on average.

Living Lightning and Murderous Hurricane are far better uses of Psychic Powers, D6 str 7 shots at unlimited range, you sit your rune priest in the back and fire that, or run forward and Murderous hurricane once your in range useing the rune priest as an anti psyker with the rune weapon and a WTT.

always buy a CotS so get a small thing to represent it, +1 bs is golden with LL.

Any other tips you need just send me a PM or ask in the rules section, im sure others will be happy to help.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Unlike khain, I actually like the wolf lord, assuming you are fielding a twc army. However, RP are good.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Unlike khain, I actually like the wolf lord, assuming you are fielding a twc army. However, RP are good.
I like the wolf lord, I hate how expensive they are.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bah, I had written a long response but my computer overheated and I lost it all.
Anyway, in bullet points:

-wolf lord is good but can get expensive, only use him with a specific use in mind
-rune priest should be the 'default' hq if you don't have a specific need for a lord. This guy is cheap, gives great support with free spells and psychic defense, and is overall great
-wolf priest is crap. same statline as priest for same price, but no spells or psychic defense, and instead gives rerolls to hit, which are ok but not THAT awesome, and fearless, which actually means you're worse off if you have ATSKNF.

sorry it's not so elaborated, but I really can't be bothered writing it all again =X

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
bah, I had written a long response but my computer overheated and I lost it all.
Anyway, in bullet points:

-wolf lord is good but can get expensive, only use him with a specific use in mind
-rune priest should be the 'default' hq if you don't have a specific need for a lord. This guy is cheap, gives great support with free spells and psychic defense, and is overall great
-wolf priest is crap. same statline as priest for same price, but no spells or psychic defense, and instead gives rerolls to hit, which are ok but not THAT awesome, and fearless, which actually means you're worse off if you have ATSKNF.

sorry it's not so elaborated, but I really can't be bothered writing it all again =X

to argue about Wolf Priests: they are good with any blood claw build, since with rerolls and the mass attacks on the charge, you are dead if you actually lost combat as it is anyway.

though yes, I do say rune priests are by far the best default HQ choice (I even custom built one)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
excellent, it seems going with a RP is the way to go for now, thanks for the help guys:biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts