Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all these list start looking a like...

How do my points look guys?

I am running the Termies with the Wolf Priest in the Drop Pod. The Rune Priest travels with the Sky Claws.

Ideas?

HQ
Wolf Priest w/ Runic armour, WTN, Saga of Bestslayer 140

Rune Priest w/ Jump pack, WTN, Saga of the Beast Slayer, Jaws of the Wolf, Murderous Hurricane 145

Elites
Dreadnought w/Multi melta, heavy flamer 105pts

X4 Wolfguard ----x2 combi Meltas and Wolf Claw, x1 Cyclone Miss. Launch.& Chainfist, x1 Dual Wolf Claws. 247pts

Troops
X10 greyhunter w/ X2 melta guns, wolf standard, MoTW, powerfist, rhino 240pts

X10 greyhunter w/X2 melta guns, wolf standard, MoTW, powerfist, rhino 240pts

X10 greyhunter w/X2 melta guns, wolf standard, MoTW, power sword, rhino 230pts

Fast Attack
X5 sky claws w/ melta gun, power fist, MoTW 140pts

Landspeeder tornado w multi melta 70 pts

Landspeeder w/ heavy bolter 50pts

Heavy
Long fang squad leader x1 and x4 missile launchers. 115pts

Total points 1962

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Ok, you have a lot of stuff that can be replaced for the exact same thing but cheaper so let me help you streamline a little.

Power fists and power weapons should not be bought in grey hunters squads. Instead you should just add another wolf guard to your one elite wolf guard choice, give him a combi-weapon and power fist and attach him to the grey hunters squads as a pack leader. You will lose the second free weapon in them since 11 models cannot ride in a rhino but the combi-weapon will make up for that and now you get an extra pf attack too.

Saga of the Beastslayer on your HQ's is unnecessary. The rune priest is also not meant for CC and thus I would drop the jump pack and place him in a rhino too where he can safely shoot his powers, or even with the long fangs so he can just spam living lightning.

MM/HF dreads should really have a pod so they aren't crippled by the short range of their weapons. If you do this I would also give a pack of long fangs a drop pod so that your dread and your termies can both arrive together.

CMLs are put to better use with your other missiles since you want that thing firing every turn and your termies will be moving into close combat. For your wolf guard I would also suggest giving them a SS or two maybe to absorb the low AP weapons that may be heading your way.

I'm not a big fan of anything bloodclaw related but I don't see the harm in giving them a try. If they do not pan out for you then I would drop them in favor of more land speeders. I like Typhoons or the heavy bolter / assault cannon combo.

Hope this helps ya and feel free to ask here if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
before you do anything your list is illegal.
wolf gaurd cant get the heavy weapon until they have 5 modles, second he has to have termi armor

also your dread is 115 not 105.

i like the idea behind your list but i dont like jump packs in this army. they arent as good as they could be. not with BS and WS 3. plus you have to have a leader with them or they can't shoot but you cant put a wolf guard in with them because under the list of where the wolf guard can go sky claws arent listed. even though you can buy them jump packs they cant join the jump pack unit sadly. it wasnt even addressed in the faq. >_<

thunder wolf cav are better for cc anyway. T5 and S5 and rending plus they are cav so the move like beasts. fleet, 12" charge. thunder hammers and fists are S10. and they are 2 wound models. each can also be unique as well so you can cheese them out like nob bikers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
another point, Im fairly certain that you cannot have 2 models with the same saga in an army. Just get rid of both sagas and take more missile launchers.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Hq options: Ok so you could go two routes with this, one includes two rune priests but none have room for a WP. Option A is go with a two priests with basic loadout. Option B is one rp and one wl with a twm, frost blade, ss, SotWB/bear, and maybe a melta or runic armor. From these you can choose where your list is going to go, if you pick option A you want a gunline as option B would be CC. Although both have wiggle room. However, I will be going with option B so the rest will go for that.

Elites: drop what you have now, clean house. What you want is a 3 man pack lead unit of WG with PF and CM. I don't like dread, even a total fuckwit can get behind them and take them out.

Troops: Drop them down to 8 men give all the squads a pw and one of the WG. PW is optional.

Fast attack: you could either do 2 5 man units of TWC or one unit. If one unit you could just use two LS with a MM and a HF.

HS: looks ok. Maybe try and find room for a razor with a lasplas but it isn't needed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the point corrections... that is what I was reallly looking for...

one day I will make models for a TWC but now is not the time for me to do that. currently I have jump packs and will use them.... nobody likes the jump teams and that is fine. i like the idea of 3 blood claws handing out 12 attacks on a charge, 1 blood with MoTW and his D6 rending, and a Powerfist rolling in to clean up. If I lead the attack with a Wolf Priest I get to re roll my (to hits) for a prefferred enemy. that is a prettty fun team to go hunting monster units.... I could also make the all wolf guard with jump packs and wolf claws... (no duplicating gear of course) then get re rolls to hit and to wound... that is my idea with that... the end point is I am using what exspensive ass GW models I currently own for my army.

So nobody likes the sagas? hmm... I can drop those easy....

I may just ride the rune preist around in a rino and gun psi powers with him. the rune priest isnt a heavy in CC but with a runic blade he can wound and kill anything...

thant is what I am thinking. please take care not to rage on me... we all have ideas on winning with lists... I am new with the new codex and playing. I am pretty well versed in the old one and there my Rune Priest jacked up many war bosses and nids with his force blade and psychic storm....

Thanks for the pt mistake I made on the Dread and the cyclone miss. launcher. I forgot that. I also will be using a drea since I have a wicked one painted up.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think you will get an awakening with the Blood Claws... The first time you don't wipe out what you're attacking, or the other guy gets to go first, they will hit you on 3s.... I think they're a glass hammer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the WG with jump packs and wolf claws are extremely expensive.

5x WG
jump packs
5x wolf claw
290, 365 if you wanted to give them a pair of wolf claws.
plus the 125 point minimum jump pack wolf priest.
thats 415 to 485 for one 6 man unit in power armor.
10 is double, its really crazy. they are expensive like vanguard and im not sure if they can deepstrike in.

i have used the wg with jump packs before when i was new to 40k 5th edition, and they cost a lot and are pretty easy to kill. i did 10 with jump packs and power weapons. it's crazy. if you really like the jump packs you should switch to BA because we arent a jumpy army really.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Yeah, but the "you have to take an HQ for every 750" kind of sucked... And if I remember correctly didn't you used to be able to take a Russ too? That would be fun. I think the changes to the dex have given the wolves a very strong base... but jump packs aren't part of it....

Seems like the most effective builds are as follows
Razorwolves
Loganwing
Rune Priest based - shooty
TWC based - assaulty

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Well not really a pure loganwing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah... i see the cost there. it is a lot....

when i get my conversions done i want TWC but all mechanized looking... metal looking beasts and not wolf looking... somehow i cant grasp marines riding wolves but i do love the concept of a mount other than a bike....

i been playing since 88' and back then my marines had a space wolf hand painted shoulder pad... i always been a wolf... nothing else.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
yeah... i see the cost there. it is a lot....

when i get my conversions done i want TWC but all mechanized looking... metal looking beasts and not wolf looking... somehow i cant grasp marines riding wolves but i do love the concept of a mount other than a bike....

i been playing since 88' and back then my marines had a space wolf hand painted shoulder pad... i always been a wolf... nothing else.
If you are looking for some more mech looking TWC then you should take a look at the new plastic bloodcrushers coming out. They would make for some mean looking cavalry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts