Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Never saw a good word written about that book, either on here or anywhere else. Those "some" must live in a cave in the desert miles from an internet connection.
I have written good words about that book here.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Really? I gave you more credit than that.
How condescending. Did I say the book was perfect? No. It isn't.

But there were a fair few good things to like about it. The depiction of Chaos for one was brilliant, the Red Angel was a great character and concept, Sanguinius' relationship to his Legion and his choice of how to deal with the Flaw was very interesting, Mkani Kano and Meros were memorable and likeable characters (particularly Kano as I always wondered how a Librarian would feel about being demoted back to foot soldier), and Sanguinius's confrontation with Ka'Bandha and Kyriss was epic.

That and unlike most here, I don't hate James Swallow.

think you missed the link, LoTN.
By here, I mean Heresy Online.

LotN

·
Registered
80 Posts
Vengeful Spirit would have so much better (and a more appropriate length) had that whole silent war Garro sub plot simply been axed. It just didn't sit comfortably for me. How is it on the one hand nobody knows what is going on or where the traitors are or what worlds or armies have joined Horus etc and yet on the other hand Garro and his merry men seem to be able to travel around with impunity and make sure they are in the right place? Or did I miss the sensible explanation of that?

·
Registered
253 Posts

But there were a fair few good things to like about it. The depiction of Chaos for one was brilliant, the Red Angel was a great character and concept, Sanguinius' relationship to his Legion and his choice of how to deal with the Flaw was very interesting, Mkani Kano and Meros were memorable and likeable characters (particularly Kano as I always wondered how a Librarian would feel about being demoted back to foot soldier), and Sanguinius's confrontation with Ka'Bandha and Kyriss was epic.

LotN

I have to agree here.

Also, these 'most' that say that Vengeful Spirit is bad are quite interesting. I read your review of it, LotN and completely agree.

I understand some people not agreeing with people's reviews, but constantly saying 'most' people didn't like it kinda sounds ignorant. Everyone has their own opinions, so no one has the right to say 'they must be living in a cave no where near an internet connection'. You may feel that way and maybe a majority, but I'm sure there some intelligent people who like at least parts of the books in mention.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I know this is off-topic, but... Fear to Tread may rightly have some redeeming qualities, but the bottom line in my opinion is that it wasn't ''good enough.'' Not by a considerable margin to be frankly honest.

If there are enough Fear to Tread supporters on this board I'd be happy to host a structured debate. It is definitely one of the most divisive novels of the Horus Heresy, especially now the Prospero Burns controversy has died down.

I understand the quality of literature is subjective and all that jazz, but I believe this novel can be slammed with crushing, almost irrefutable criticisms. And, hey, you never know, there may be some positives several of us have missed.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
Some would say Fear to Tread is best book of the HH series?

Fear to Tread was undoubtedly and unbiasedly the most disappointing novel of the series. I feel the novel written about my legion was utter piece of shit, but I have to say, the plot and importance of the events in Fear to Tread were destroyed by shitty writing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to agree here.

Also, these 'most' that say that Vengeful Spirit is bad are quite interesting. I read your review of it, LotN and completely agree.

I understand some people not agreeing with people's reviews, but constantly saying 'most' people didn't like it kinda sounds ignorant. Everyone has their own opinions, so no one has the right to say 'they must be living in a cave no where near an internet connection'. You may feel that way and maybe a majority do too, but I'm sure there some intelligent people who like at least parts of the books in mention.
Lots of opinions from people thinking its fact.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
If there are enough Fear to Tread supporters on this board I'd be happy to host a structured debate. It is definitely one of the most divisive novels of the Horus Heresy, especially now the Prospero Burns controversy has died down.
I dont know about enough supporters, but personally I only have a few issues with the book to be perfectly honest

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

LotN
I think you gave it a very glowing review...your taste is your prerogative...it's just very different from mine

http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/0...ow-dual-advance-review-lord-night-bane-kings/

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I think you gave it a very glowing review...your taste is your prerogative...it's just very different from mine

http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/0...ow-dual-advance-review-lord-night-bane-kings/
I'll admit that after a year or two, and reading newer Heresy novels, I wouldn't score it that high anymore. I would actually say now that Fear to Tread is about an 8.4/10, which to me is a Very Good book. I still think it's in the Top 10 Heresy books, but not the Top 5 anymore, due to new releases displacing it.

I may do a re-read soon and re-evaluate my thoughts.

LotN

·
Registered
493 Posts
I felt that the Signus setting had such enormous potential, Swallow should have done a LOT more with it, my disappointment with FTT is mainly the missed potential. Image ADB having a swing at it, I felt the BA were portayed as standard SM, but with red paint and anger issues, nothing more

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does anyone else feels that SW and AL are the most wanked legions on the loyalist side and traitor side respectively?

I wonder who is going to be portrayed in a more impressive light in this outing

If you mean underrated, then yes. At least with the Alpha Legion.

If that's not what you mean, I am terribly sorry. Please let me know what you mean and I'm sure I will agree with you. Hah

21 - 40 of 79 Posts